Stampede Screws loosened up on legs

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
My husband noticed that the legs on the 590 were feeling wobbly when moving it. We don't move it more than 10 feet in any direction. And it rolls on our flat concrete patio where it stays year round (covered).

He decided to tighten up the screws at the top of the legs. Good idea. But now he wants to lay it on it's side and REALLY tighten the screws and bolts. Being this is my baby, I'm not feeling real comfortable emptying everything out and undoing things and laying it on it's side (which sounds like a 2 person job). Am I being too cautious and just silly? My smoker is over a year old and works like a charm. I don't want to tempt fate. I would appreciate any thoughts.

He is also thinking we may need the competition cart (basically for sturdiness). Is it worth investing in it? I know a lot of you love the look of the competition cart. That would not be why we would get it. I'm sure some of you have purchased the competition cart after using the one that comes with the smoker. Is that an issue? Again, appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much!

Not sure why the fasteners loosened up, maybe they weren't tightened completely to begin with. Some blue loctite should prevent them from loosening again. Not sure why he feels he needs to lay it on its side to tighten the fasteners, but if he has to, it's not going to hurt anything doing it, especially if 2 people lay it down and stand it back up.

Rolling it around on a concrete patio should work fine with the stock wheel set. At full price the comp cart is pretty expensive and if you aren't rolling it over a rough surface, it really shouldn't be needed. I got mine at 1/2 price so it was easier to justify. I only roll mine around on my deck so not as smooth as a concrete patio, though it would easily roll across grass/dirt/gravel. I do like that I can roll in 4 directions since all 4 wheels are swiveling casters.

Last edited:
My husband noticed that the legs on the 590 were feeling wobbly when moving it. We don't move it more than 10 feet in any direction. And it rolls on our flat concrete patio where it stays year round (covered).

He decided to tighten up the screws at the top of the legs. Good idea. But now he wants to lay it on it's side and REALLY tighten the screws and bolts. Being this is my baby, I'm not feeling real comfortable emptying everything out and undoing things and laying it on it's side (which sounds like a 2 person job). Am I being too cautious and just silly? My smoker is over a year old and works like a charm. I don't want to tempt fate. I would appreciate any thoughts.

He is also thinking we may need the competition cart (basically for sturdiness). Is it worth investing in it? I know a lot of you love the look of the competition cart. That would not be why we would get it. I'm sure some of you have purchased the competition cart after using the one that comes with the smoker. Is that an issue? Again, appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks so much!
@BethV ,

I'm not sure but maybe the heat and cooling is loosening the hardware?

Anyway, if your husband is going to empty the grill to tighten the hardware might I suggest that he use "Loctite Blue" on the hardware. Hopefully this will be the last time for this task.

Last edited:
I’m also going to recommend the Loctite and also recommend that he skip the ‘really’ tightening them step unless he is also replacing the fasteners with some quality hardware. The imported fasteners are notoriously bad and often twist off when tightened with authority.

Last edited:
I’m also going to recommend the Loctite and also recommend that he skip the ‘really’ tightening them step unless he is also replacing the fasteners with some quality hardware. The imported fasteners are notoriously bad and often twist off when tightened with authority.
Tight is good; REALLY tight could ruin your day...:oops:

I would definitely use Loctite (about $7 at Home Depot). Back the nuts off just enough to apply the Loctite, then tighten them up.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Thanks. I will. Now hubby is interested in a wheel modification (since I mentioned a lot of people do that). Probably a good idea.
Now would be the perfect time to purchase a Bull while hubby is making repairs, just a thought.

@Chris_G Trust me I'm thinking about it! He's a wonderful man but with OCD. These repairs are not his thing, but he can do it. It's just always tense. So I'm not looking forward to it.

@Chris_G Trust me I'm thinking about it! He's a wonderful man but with OCD. These repairs are not his thing, but he can do it. It's just always tense. So I'm not looking forward to it.
@BethV
Easy decision. Get the Bull then make repairs on the 590. It's a win-win situation ;)

I used a Phillips Head along with a socket wrench to tighten while it was upright.
relax all will be fine.

Definitely use blue. With the Phillip head screws you will more than likely strip them out if you needed to remove them. If they were hex head bolts maybe. No need for red loctite

Thanks so much!
I could never get mine tight enough in the first place without destroying the screws even with the proper driver

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back