Screw replacement

Gunmetalblue

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello forum. Had to move my RT700 as my deck is getting refinished. It wouldn't fit through the patio doorway without removing the horns. Ending up stripping one of the Phillips head screws and had to use vise grips to get it out. bought the grill new just over a month ago. Will recteq ship out 1 single screw?

Hello forum. Had to move my RT700 as my deck is getting refinished. It wouldn't fit through the patio doorway without removing the horns. Ending up stripping one of the Phillips head screws and had to use vise grips to get it out. bought the grill new just over a month ago. Will recteq ship out 1 single screw?
Probably. Call them

I think both the screws and the horns are stainless. Assuming I’m right, that’s a bad combination. The screws will gall, necessitating vice grips to unscrew the screw. I’m actually surprised that you could get them apart without snapping the screw off.

Take what’s left of the screw to your local hardware store, they’ll probably have a replacement.

If it were me, I’d apply a light coat of nickel anti seize to the new screw before putting everything back together. The female thread in the horn may be galled. If so, you may want to chase it with an appropriately sized tap. Not sure if it’s a 10-32, 10-24, 1/4-28 or a 1/4-20.

Or bring a good one to your local hardware store to match it up with a new one.

Yup, did that. On hold for quite a while, finally got a recording saying leave a message and they'll call back. Waiting for that call now.
Old Telephone GIF

The bigger issue may be the internal threads on the horn as they may have been distorted during the forcible removal of the screw. It would be best to obtain a metric tap of the appropriate size when you get the replacement screw and, using ”cutting oil,” clean out and reform the internal threads. If you don’t, you risk having the replacement screw seize up as well. Worst case, if the internal threads are destroyed, you may have to drill out and re-tap the hole in the next larger size.

And, @Threadcutter has it exactly right regarding using anti-seize. Stainless steel screws are noted for ‘galling” when not properly treated.

Last edited:
Just for clarification, where I have run into the most problems are when both the screw and the threaded nut/socket/whatever are both made of stainless. This has been mostly on boats/salt water environment.

I don’t recall ever having had problems when one part was mild steel and the other part was stainless. But, even then, anti seize is just a good idea. I also put a little of it on spark plugs. Don’t want a broken off plug deep down in the hole.

The other thing to remember is that anti seize compound won’t last forever. That is why I use the nickel based compound. The powdered nickel hangs around long after the grease in the compound has dried out.

Now, back to our regular scheduled programming…,,,,,,,

I’m sure they will. Ask for 2.

One of my wheels had a bearing issue. Recteq sent me 2 wheels. My unit is 3 years old. Their warranty is good

I’m hoping you didn’t strip the threads inside the Bull handle.

I think both the screws and the horns are stainless. Assuming I’m right, that’s a bad combination. The screws will gall, necessitating vice grips to unscrew the screw. I’m actually surprised that you could get them apart without snapping the screw off.

Take what’s left of the screw to your local hardware store, they’ll probably have a replacement.

If it were me, I’d apply a light coat of nickel anti seize to the new screw before putting everything back together. The female thread in the horn may be galled. If so, you may want to chase it with an appropriately sized tap. Not sure if it’s a 10-32, 10-24, 1/4-28 or a 1/4-20.
Or locktite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back