Help my 590 is running about 50 degrees too hot!?

Gdrisc01

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just got my 590. Burn it went great thing is rock solid. I went to make some pizza tonight and set it to 425 it keeps going to 475-490 and won't come back down. I'm in michigan and it's about 35 degrees out if anything I expected it to run cold? What should I do?

It may take a few cooks to settle in. If you are still having problems after two or three cooks you may need to look into changing the offset. I’d give it a few cooks to settle in.

I dont know if the offset will fix a 35 degree offset. I would get on the phone with support.

Ditto the suggestion to let it get 2-3 cooks on it to let it settle in. I’ve never seen anything documented to suggest that the PID controller ’learns’ and adapts, but my experience supports that is a possibility. We just went through this with a RT-340 that my wife bought last month. The first couple of cooks, temps would spike and then drop below the set point. Now it is rock solid.

After a couple cooks if still doing it, back down the auger rate by about .5. Do a cook or so on that setting and then maybe check your offset with a reliable thermometer. RT videos will be a great help to you. CS if still trouble.

After a couple cooks if still doing it, back down the auger rate by about .5. Do a cook or so on that setting and then maybe check your offset with a reliable thermometer. RT videos will be a great help to you. CS if still trouble.
I see no adjustment for the auger rate on my 590. Pellet minimum drop rate is adjustable only for the LO setting. In winter it should be at 65 so you can get around 200 on the low setting. Adjusting the drop rate has no effect on the temps above LO. At regular temps the auger goes on and off as needed to keep the temp regulated, but I believe the auger speed (when on) is the same, not variable. My model is now almost 2 years old, so maybe I missed an upgrade? I do think you can adjust the temp with the "offset" adjustment. Which will adjust how long the auger is on and off. But I would do nothing until you have done a couple more cooks. You will not suffer a poor result if you monitor the cook and remove the meat when it is done to your liking. Anyhow if it persists, I would call tech and ask what they suggest. If no help I would then adjust the "Offset". It is supposed to be at zero from the factory. If it is for some reason at a minus number that may be the reason for the temps you are getting. I would then reset to zero and see the result. If you are still at higher temps then raise the setting into the + range until you get a good match. Remember, you have to wait reasonably long periods for the control to settle each time you adjust. And remember you tune it UP to get the temp DOWN. When my unit was new there was a small difference of set temp and real temp I made a minor adjustment with "offset" (in retrospect, I could have been fine without it) but have not had to reset it since. If you don't have the manual, then I would go online and get it and print it out. Also, you can go to YouTube and find RT's video on how to reset "Offset" on the 590. Please let us know. Also, you should use the same pellets for all cooking if you want to remain accurate, as they are not all the same. Once I found a brand I liked, I stay with it. Use different woods when desired, but in the same Brand. Good luck!

I'm in ND and my 590 used to run hot. I backed down the feed rate and then made the offset adjustments. Worked well for mine running the RT pellets. Maybe different when run out of them and switch to Lumberjack.

I'm in ND and my 590 used to run hot. I backed down the feed rate and then made the offset adjustments. Worked well for mine running the RT pellets. Maybe different when run out of them and switch to Lumberjack.
I suspect it was your offset adjustments that made a difference. As @okie already mentioned, the minimum feed rate setting only affects the minimum temperature of the grill or the ability of the grill to stay lit (flameout) if set too low.

In your app, click control on the bottom, click on your grill, then settings icon on top right, then click minimum feed rate. Default is 6.5%, and I’ve found I’ve had to lower this at times because the grill was getting too hot (at high temps during summer, and low temps during winter), so I will adjust down to 5.50% when needed. If you go too low, you can cause a burnout, then your grill tries to reignite, and temps soar, go down and repeat. Try to see of that works for you

In your app, click control on the bottom, click on your grill, then settings icon on top right, then click minimum feed rate. Default is 6.5%, and I’ve found I’ve had to lower this at times because the grill was getting too hot (at high temps during summer, and low temps during winter), so I will adjust down to 5.50% when needed. If you go too low, you can cause a burnout, then your grill tries to reignite, and temps soar, go down and repeat. Try to see of that works for you
Interesting, I thought this setting only affected low / smoke.

Interesting, I thought this setting only affected low / smoke.
It does only affect the low/minimum temps. Nothing from recteq, especially the videos linked here from recteq, suggest you need to change feed rate to change the high temp of the grill. It’s called the ‘minimum feed rate’ for a reason.

Last edited:
Just got my 590. Burn it went great thing is rock solid. I went to make some pizza tonight and set it to 425 it keeps going to 475-490 and won't come back down. I'm in michigan and it's about 35 degrees out if anything I expected it to run cold? What should I do?
Put your pizza on there that's the perfect temperature for doing pizza! It must know what your trying to cook and its trying to help you! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back