Bull RT680 won't start

rherteux

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hi all, my several year old RT680 will no longer start. It flashes through the model and firmware rev but when I press the ON button it doesn't start up. The power is there because the interior light turns on and off but no luck getting the grill to turn on. Last time I used it I had a heck of a time getting it to start, like I had to press the button repeatedly and it finally turned on. This time no go. I suspect too many years out in the Florida elements did a number on the circuit board. Any idea how much a replacement costs? Also, can I upgrade to a wifi controller while I'm at it?

Last edited:
Man really sorry to hear your having issues. To me it definitely sounds like a main board issues.

Does the smoker not do anything? Ie. Augger doesnt turn, ignition doesnt light etc?

It sounds like you are in the settings mode. Try pushing the setting button til you can exit.
Then try the power button. or...
6 year warranty. Call CS.

Nope nothing...she's dead. The display flashes "rec" then "r680" then "U7.07" then nothing. Now normally at this point I press the ON button but it doesn't do anything. I can't get into test mode either (up button + extreme smoke button). Like I said, it started flaking out the last time I used it though I did get it going with some effort, so I'm pretty sure it's the board.

How much is the wifi controller...is it still $99? I might go that route rather than do the warranty replacement assuming it's the controller.

It's staying in the garage from now on!

There is a fuse in the controller. Also could be the hot rod.
U7.07 sounds like a error code.
The controller is not listed in the parts section.
Call CS. Why pay $99 when they will send you one free???

I'm pretty sure I saw "U7.07" every time it booted up...I'm guessing it's a firmware rev. The only reason I'd pay $99 is to get the new controller with wifi and the 2 probes which I would have had no idea about had I not had this issue.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with them. They were going to send me a free replacement controller...then I inquired about the upgraded controller and they're doing that half price for me. What great customer service!

The new controller is in, the new stainless shelf is in, the grill is sandblasted and re-painted and looks like almost new, and most importantly....it works again! First cook of its reincarnated life tomorrow. :) Thank you to Rectec for their great customer service in helping me restore most of this under warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 248

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back