RT 700 vs RT 1250

Chadwicks

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Looking for some advice. I’m a little concerned I ordered the wrong smoker. I thought the 1250 was a larger version to the 700. I’m now finding out that it’s the upgraded 700 and not actually larger. I’m a little disappointed the Req teq site was not very descriptive and now they are saying it’s too late to switch because it’s already shipped.

Did I make a mistake getting the 700 instead of the 1250?

There are aftermarket shelves that will effectively turn your 700 in to a 1250, at least as it's related to the sq inches of smoker space.

There are aftermarket shelves that will effectively turn your 700 in to a 1250, at least as it's related to the sq inches of smoker space.
Time to temp is a concern I have from reading. I guess the 1250 has a faster auger. Is it true that the 700 takes a long time to heat up? I have an egg now which I love but the reason I bought this was to have something I could turn on quickly in 10-15 min instead of wait 45 to get it up to temp.

It also comes with the external shelf and internal along with the faster auger motor.. In addition the 1250 controller will permit going to temps of 700F where the 700 limits to 600F. The controller is also dual band wifi now so it might be easier to connect to your home wifi for setup. This is not usually an issue once connected though with the 700. There is also an outlet you can plug things into but also the interior light is gone for the shelf. They also added some wire protection as dogs/animals have been known to have an appetite for them.

I know that may not be much of a factor but you are correct otherwise. It is physically the same unit just updated.

If you add up the shelves alone you are almost 1/2 way there with cost difference then upgraded auger motors and controller I would just accept it at this point knowing you have the latest options.

Get it, cook, smile & enjoy. You only live once.. (y)

Congrats! Pics when she arrives 😁

It also comes with the external shelf and internal along with the faster auger motor.. In addition the 1250 controller will permit going to temps of 700F where the 700 limits to 600F. The controller is also dual band wifi now so it might be easier to connect to your home wifi for setup. This is not usually an issue once connected though with the 700. There is also an outlet you can plug things into but also the interior light is gone for the shelf. They also added some wire protection as dogs/animals have been known to have an appetite for them.

I know that may not be much of a factor but you are correct otherwise. It is physically the same unit just updated.

If you add up the shelves alone you are almost 1/2 way there with cost difference then upgraded auger motors and controller I would just accept it at this point knowing you have the latest options.

Get it, cook, smile & enjoy. You only live once.. (y)

Congrats! Pics when she arrives 😁

👆That’s a great synopsis right there 👆

The only other differences I can think of are the cast iron heat deflector and the hooks on the back of the hopper. The heat deflector was changed from stainless steel to prevent the warping problems that were occurring and supposedly to allow you to place wood chips/pellets directly on the deflector.
The hooks are for hanging tools.

Enjoy your grill and have no regrets! I have a 700, and had I known the 1250 was coming out, I might have waited a month and gotten the 1250 for the upgraded motor and controller, but in reality, I’m happy with the 700.

Either way, I think you’re going to really enjoy your grill!

Last edited:
👆That’s a great synopsis right there 👆

The only other differences I can think of are the cast iron heat deflector and the hooks on the back of the hopper. The heat deflector was changed from stainless steel to prevent the warping problems that were occurring and supposedly to allow you to place wood chips/pellets directly on the deflector.
The hooks are for hanging tools.

Enjoy your grill and have no regrets! I have a 700, and had I known the 1250 was coming out, I’d probably have waited a month and gotten the 1250 for the upgraded motor and controller.

Either way, I think you’re going to really enjoy your grill!

Good points on the deflector and hanger..

I think you'll love the 1250. As far as the site not being very descriptive, they have the dimensions of every smoker, as well as photos.
FWIW, I just put Chad's sliding shelf in mine this week in prep for a few get togethers over the holidays. It's not quite the same total cooking area, but it gets me close, and is less of a compromise than the 700 with the RT shelf you lose bottom grate area with the feet).
My $.02

I do not regret my 1250 at all...I upgraded from the 700 for the extra space, faster auger and wifi...I have not even used the extra track yet and can fit enuff to feed an army...I did alot of research before buyingand there is only one that is better... but it's not worth the money....I use mine as more an everyday cooker so it depends on what you using it for I guess

Looking for some advice. I’m a little concerned I ordered the wrong smoker. I thought the 1250 was a larger version to the 700. I’m now finding out that it’s the upgraded 700 and not actually larger. I’m a little disappointed the Req teq site was not very descriptive and now they are saying it’s too late to switch because it’s already shipped.

Thanks for this post. Ordered the 700 yesterday because like you, I thought the 1250 just had an extra shelf. With the various differences, I've cancelled and reordered the 1250.

So tonight was my 3rd cook on the 1250. Previously cooked was Boston butts and turkey breast. Tonight we did spare ribs at 275 and then put it on high for the ribeyes. From 275-700 took just under 10min. Perfectly cooked steaks 2min each side to med rare. I topped out with meat off at 757 but got the pic at 750. I’m not sure from start up to 700 the timeframe but I will try it but I do know using Recteq pellets I increased the grill temp 425 degrees in under 10min.

Attachments

• FFC2310E-EABB-4D9D-824B-A5513891438B.jpeg
    FFC2310E-EABB-4D9D-824B-A5513891438B.jpeg
    937.8 KB · Views: 179
Time to temp is a concern I have from reading. I guess the 1250 has a faster auger. Is it true that the 700 takes a long time to heat up? I have an egg now which I love but the reason I bought this was to have something I could turn on quickly in 10-15 min instead of wait 45 to get it up to temp.
I have the 700 for a couple of years now. BBQ temps are no issue at all. I use mine as a smoker only.
Grilling temps I could not be any help to you. In my humble opinion it is best used as a smoker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back