Bull RT-700 caster wheel replacement

Thank you very much good sir! The threaded side is 1/2" - 13, correct?
Sorry, but I don’t know. I didn’t take them loose; just machined a bushing/extension to slip over the in-place axle.

I think, however, that it is likely metric; probably M12x1.25 or M12x1.75.

Sorry, but I don’t know. I didn’t take them loose; just machined a bushing/extension to slip over the in-place axle.

I think, however, that it is likely metric; probably M12x1.25 or M12x1.75.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I'm asking about the swivel caster, handle side of the grill. Not the threaded spindle on the fixed wheel side.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I'm asking about the swivel caster, handle side of the grill. Not the threaded spindle on the fixed wheel side.
I believe they are M12x1.75. Here’s a link to casters recommended by someone who did the RT-700 wheel mod:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/steelex-5-red-polyurethane-swivel-caster-w-brake-threaded/d2618

https://www.toolplanet.com/product/Steelex-Polyurethane-Caster-D2618

Check out this thread for a lot of info and options on wheel mods for the RT-700:

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/how-to-do-the-rec-tec-wheel-mod.17/

Thank You Sir.....

It's functional, but isn't the way that I'd ultimately like it to be. But.....Trying to remove the hardened chunks that were welded in seemed impossible.

I would have liked to have been able to remove the hardened pieces and run a solid 5/8" rod all the way through both legs, but this seems to work as well. We'll see if the single axles will bend the leg walls, but for my needs/apps, I'm confident they won't. So far.....
I wonder if it might work to drill the hole higher on the legs and move to a little larger wheel, say 12 or 13 inch. . . measuring to insure the same relative height with the other casters?

I wonder if it might work to drill the hole higher on the legs and move to a little larger wheel, say 12 or 13 inch. . . measuring to insure the same relative height with the other casters?
It could indeed, but with the outward angle of the legs, I didn’t want to chance it and wanted to be done with it.

It isn’t pretty, but it works. Hell of a lot better than the twinkie stock wheels.

@Threadcutter Tell me more about The Big Kahuna...how do you compare the smoke flavor to an actual stick burner etc etc....Ive been considering one myself.
Apologies, I've never had or used a stick burner, so there's not much I can add on that subject. But, I can tell you that if you crank the air pump up on the Big Kahuna, you're going to get A LOT of smoke out of it. You'll chew up chips quickly too. But, like I said, recharging while operating is easy. You'll need a glove because the knob on the top cap gets hot. I have found that larger chunks of wood don't really stay "lit", so you'll need to use chips.

I'm a bit of a "Minnie Pearl" when it comes to buying things. Among the various reasons, I decided to go the Big Kahuna route at first because of cost. It was only $150.00, give or take. I didn't want to spend bigger money on the stick burner (or have to tend it constantly).

Apologies, I've never had or used a stick burner, so there's not much I can add on that subject. But, I can tell you that if you crank the air pump up on the Big Kahuna, you're going to get A LOT of smoke out of it. You'll chew up chips quickly too. But, like I said, recharging while operating is easy. You'll need a glove because the knob on the top cap gets hot. I have found that larger chunks of wood don't really stay "lit", so you'll need to use chips.

I'm a bit of a "Minnie Pearl" when it comes to buying things. Among the various reasons, I decided to go the Big Kahuna route at first because of cost. It was only $150.00, give or take. I didn't want to spend bigger money on the stick burner (or have to tend it constantly).
Can you run it as the smoker runs in tandem..or do you only run it cold smoke solo and then use the Recteq ?

Can you run it as the smoker runs in tandem..or do you only run it cold smoke solo and then use the Recteq ?
In tandem, or individually. That’s one of the things I really like about it. Ultimate flexibility, you can run any/all combinations.

If you’re thinking of going this route, buy the bigger one with more chip capacity. It’ll run longer between recharges and if you want to only partially load it (for less smoke duration), you can do that too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back