Stampede RT 590 not heating quickly anymore

wwlightning

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I just wrote customer service with this message... maybe someone here could shed some light too... Thanks
Hello. Lately I have been having issues getting the smoker up to temperature quickly. I've had the smoker since Sept I believe... and even through the winter months (Michigan), the smoker heated rather quickly. Lately I have been using Kingsford pellets, cherry, hickory.... I cleaned out the pot 2 short smokes ago. It did have a lot in and around.but has never caused me an issue. I have the feed rate set to max, 6.5. The hottest I have run the smoker lately is 350F. Today, it was a nice 80F outside and sunny. I still had issues trying to get it to temperature. It was fine when It got there but man, too long, too slow.
Is it possibly the pellet wood? LIke just cherry or hickory instead of a blend? I am not sure what is going on here but I wonder if a bigger issue isn't on the horizon while doing a long smoke and lose some expensive meat.

You didn't say how long, but my 590 takes about 20 min to hit 400. recteq ultimate blend. BTW feed rate has no impact on the time getting to high temps. It's the most misunderstood setting across this forum.

You didn't say how long, but my 590 takes about 20 min to hit 400. recteq ultimate blend. BTW feed rate has no impact on the time getting to high temps. It's the most misunderstood setting across this forum.
HI. It took about 25 minutes to get to 350. Yeah, feed rate is something I don't know exactly but usually don't have the time to play around with it to find the sweet spot. My understanding is that different wood will burn at different rates and give off different heat.

Is it taking a long time to get to temp or a long time to ignite the pellets?

HI. It took about 25 minutes to get to 350. Yeah, feed rate is something I don't know exactly but usually don't have the time to play around with it to find the sweet spot. My understanding is that different wood will burn at different rates and give off different heat.
The feed rate is only for minimum feed rate at the lowest temperature setting on the grill (180F) or super smoke to prevent flameout. You shouldn’t have to constantly adjust it and rate setting can vary depending on several factors at 180F such as outside air temp, pellets and even wind. I have had my RT590 since Christmas and only adjusted once. Don’t adjust it otherwise as it won’t matter for temps set above 180F. I’m smoking today after a month of it being off and it’s working again like a charm!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back