Stampede RT 590 Max Temp

GoHogs!

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
What is the max temp most of you see on a RT590 set on FULL when you are wanting to do a sear? Ambient temp around 60? I don't see much discussion of that on the 590 forum.

P.S. How long does it take for you to get there?

Thanks

pizza 01.JPG

I started using my new 590 this spring for mostly grilling, not smoking, jobs so far. Always set to full and it will always get to that 530-550 range within 30 -40 minutes or so (but only if it isn't being affected by cold, windy weather - that can cut the top temp by 100 degrees). I use the Cabela's branded pellets sold by Bass Pro (since I get a discount).

Don

Since I originally ask this question, I will followup. Initially I could not go above 500 degrees(ambient was 20-40, it was winter). I called RT and they suggested that I replace my auger motor with one from the 2500. I did, it works very well, it will go right on up to 600 in about 30 minutes and it also recovers a lot quicker when opening the grill.

I was curious if it would affect the PID or if you would get larger temp spikes after opening it, but I actually found the opposite. It is so quick coming back up to temp that it doesn't spike as much.

The 590 ships with a 1.3 RPM motor and the one for the RT2500 is a 3RPM motor so a very significant difference. One thing RT mentioned to me is that sometime in the future they will be using the 3RPM auger motor on most models of their grills.

Also, if you are going to run those high temps, it your aluminum foil will melt, more disintegrate rather than melt. Beyond that I've not seen an issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow up.

I have noticed that in the past when I set the grill to FULL it depends on the weather and the pellets what temp I get. I get 475 sometimes 500 plus depending on the combo.

That's nice to know about the auger. Was it tough to install?

Thanks for the follow up.

I have noticed that in the past when I set the grill to FULL it depends on the weather and the pellets what temp I get. I get 475 sometimes 500 plus depending on the combo.

That's nice to know about the auger. Was it tough to install?
Install was simple, the results you get are about what I was getting till I swapped. I complained enough they replaced mine under warranty, but saw on another forum they aren’t shipping them unless you have a 2500. . I suspect it may be a supply problem as I am finding everything in short supply these days.

I've wondered about the max temp. Last night I grilled a pair of 6 oz fillets at 435. Kind of an arbitrary number but that's what I used. They were from Wild Fork. Came out just fine. Maybe not as pretty without using the Seer plate. I just put them on the grills. By the way, the wild Fork fillets were very easy to cut through, like butter as they say. But they lacked that distinctive fillet taste.

Since I originally ask this question, I will followup. Initially I could not go above 500 degrees(ambient was 20-40, it was winter). I called RT and they suggested that I replace my auger motor with one from the 2500. I did, it works very well, it will go right on up to 600 in about 30 minutes and it also recovers a lot quicker when opening the grill.

I was curious if it would affect the PID or if you would get larger temp spikes after opening it, but I actually found the opposite. It is so quick coming back up to temp that it doesn't spike as much.

The 590 ships with a 1.3 RPM motor and the one for the RT2500 is a 3RPM motor so a very significant difference. One thing RT mentioned to me is that sometime in the future they will be using the 3RPM auger motor on most models of their grills.

Also, if you are going to run those high temps, it your aluminum foil will melt, more disintegrate rather than melt. Beyond that I've not seen an issue.
Thanks for the information. They are actually sending me a 3RPM auger motor as well, since I could never get above approximately 430. I'm very excited about the prospect of being able to use high temps now when I want to sear quick.

Have you noticed any ill effect on low temps? For example have you tried it in the lowest smoke mode yet with the new auger? Did you find you had to change feed rate at all with the new auger?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the information. They are actually sending me a 3RPM auger motor as well, since I could never get above approximately 430. I'm very excited about the prospect of being able to use high temps now when I want to sear quick.

Have you noticed any ill effect on low temps? For example have you tried it in the lowest smoke mode yet with the new auger? Did you find you had to change feed rate at all with the new auger?

Thanks again!
No changes on low temps, It seems to run at 180 degrees without an issue. High temps, I've found that I have to be careful to not overheat it. The temp quits reading above 600, so when searing, I set it at 500 to sear and then 5 min before I put the meat on i set it on FULL and let it get let it get rolling a bit and then sear away. Works great. I no longer run it on Full unattended.

Thx.

I’ve gotten it up to 550. I’ve got a welding blanket i could throw on top, so i suspect i could get it higher if i wanted. But it’s sitting next to a Weber 26” kettle which can get up to nuclear temps with good natural lump charcoal. I love my 590, but I did steaks on the kettle tonight.

I cranked mine up on high last night. There is a significant difference in temperature between the cooking grate and the RT pit probe. I measured mine with a Fireboard 2 at the grate and highest temp was 508 after 40 minutes. The RT probe never got above 480. Since I don't cook at probe level Im happy with that but I have to question the accuracy of these reports of 550-600 degrees. All mechanical aspects of these cookers are the same in my mind. The only variable is the fuel and I have a difficult time believing one fuel can run 100 degrees hotter than another.

I cranked mine up on high last night. There is a significant difference in temperature between the cooking grate and the RT pit probe. I measured mine with a Fireboard 2 at the grate and highest temp was 508 after 40 minutes. The RT probe never got above 480. Since I don't cook at probe level Im happy with that but I have to question the accuracy of these reports of 550-600 degrees. All mechanical aspects of these cookers are the same in my mind. The only variable is the fuel and I have a difficult time believing one fuel can run 100 degrees hotter than another.
I’m going to test mine today. Max temps obviously depend on the ambient temperature- summertime I have no problem getting over 550 and winter I couldn’t even break 500. I’ll double check it with my Maverick.

Installed mine today and happy with the results! One thing I've noticed is a slight clicking noise that might be coming from the auger? Did you experience this at all? Doesn't seem to hinder any function, but something I never noticed before.

i have a 3rpm auger so my grill burns 50 percent more fuel when i put it on full power. 600 is no problem to hit and could easily go higher but 600 is the temp limit of the controller

Installed mine today and happy with the results! One thing I've noticed is a slight clicking noise that might be coming from the auger? Did you experience this at all? Doesn't seem to hinder any function, but something I never noticed before.
I have no clicking noise that I can hear If it is faint, my hearing isn't so great anymore so I could just not be able to hear it over the fans.

Hickory will run a bit hotter but the auger speed is the real issue if you cannot get probe temp up where you want to sear at then the Auger is your solution. I was having trouble getting over 450 and it flies past that now.

Also the length of time to heat up is much better. I was waiting 40 minutes for it to heat to 450 and while I haven't timed it, its not much more than 20 or 25 minutes now.

Can anyone tell me for sure if 600 is max PID temp or if that is just as high as the probe will read. I'd feel much better about running it hot if I knew the auger wasn't still feeding at 3rpm at 600 degrees and the temp probe just doesn't read hotter. . .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back