RT-1250 RT-1250 arrived today!!

mreservices

My new RT-1250 arrived today. There were some storms coming but I thought that I had time to get out and get the unit assembled. I literally snapped some pictures, threw the cover on and have enough time to run to the garage before the rain started. Assembly took about 2 hours. I will wash the grates tomorrow and complete the burn in. I will say that I'm extremely impressed with the packing of the grill. My shelf has a little bit of a mark on it however it appears that was from manufacturing and not shipping. I figure I'll be sitting things on it anyway so not too worried about it. I'm very excited. More to come.

Attachments

• 20210816_174953.jpg
    20210816_174953.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 750
  • 20210816_175004.jpg
    20210816_175004.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 300
  • 20210816_175010.jpg
    20210816_175010.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 289
  • 20210816_175029.jpg
    20210816_175029.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 292
  • 20210816_175640.jpg
    20210816_175640.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 378
  • 20210816_175659.jpg
    20210816_175659.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 322
  • 20210816_180110.jpg
    20210816_180110.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 334
This is fantastic to see! Mine just arrived about 30 minutes ago, and I raced the rain to get it into the garage. Did the cover you got come packaged in a box that said it's for the 700?

P.S. Any tips or "gotchas" you ran into? I'd like to learn from folks before I build myself into a corner.

This is fantastic to see! Mine just arrived about 30 minutes ago, and I raced the rain to get it into the garage. Did the cover you got come packaged in a box that said it's for the 700?

P.S. Any tips or "gotchas" you ran into? I'd like to learn from folks before I build myself into a corner.
Yes the cover does say it is for an RT 700 but it fits. Definitely could have used some assistance putting the PID controller on. It was a little difficult to try to reach in the grill, put the bolts in, hold the controller and put the nut on the bolt. Could have used an extra set of hands for that. Other than that everything went pretty smoothly. There is a video on YouTube for the assembly and I watched it the other day. I also print out the instructions to just kind of follow along while I was building it but everything was pretty straightforward.

Thank you. Have to run to some customers sites in the morning. Once I get back going to clean up the grates and do my initial burn in. Think I'm going to start with some burgers after that.
Sounds delicious! Enjoy!

Yes the cover does say it is for an RT 700 but it fits. Definitely could have used some assistance putting the PID controller on. It was a little difficult to try to reach in the grill, put the bolts in, hold the controller and put the nut on the bolt. Could have used an extra set of hands for that. Other than that everything went pretty smoothly. There is a video on YouTube for the assembly and I watched it the other day. I also print out the instructions to just kind of follow along while I was building it but everything was pretty straightforward.
I had a little bit of difficulty with that, as well as I almost ended up getting the temp probe wires caught between the controller and the body of the grill. I watched the video and tried to follow along with the written instructions. The two together gave me a better idea of what to do, but I did notice some small things like the manual (PDF) has you hand tightening several things but not coming back and cinching them down, but the video shows where you should tighten things up.

Just got done assembling mine. Had to go to Estes and get it or wait until at least Wednesday for delivery. No issues other than one bolt on one of the horns. Will call Recteq tomorrow about it. Will also do the burn in tomorrow, then start off with the pork belly that I have for the occasion.

I did have an issue with the right front leg. The screws would not hand tighten in. I ended up having to use my impact driver to get them in but they did tighten up okay. I also had a problem with the left horn with the same issue. For some reason it would not hand tighten so I had to impact it in. I got to the point where I was afraid of actually breaking the screw off so I stopped. It's not as tight on one of the screws as the other but it doesn't seem to have any issues. I may email him about that just to let them know. Other than that, very well packaged, very well built and I am very impressed. Anxious to do my first cook tomorrow.

Dear 1250 owners:
Congrats. I realize you have the latest and greatest technology. Your new Smoker Ferraris’ have all the bells and whistles, including adjustable seats (grates), upgraded wifi head units 2.X & 5ghz bands) and a fancier front tray along with a number of other upgrades. You will no doubt be the envy of the modern smoker world. I just want to say hello and be your friend as you are now ascending to your rightful place on the BBQ throne. Congrats to you all. Please keep us peons informed as you learn new tricks and tips so us paupers can live vicariously through your eyes.
Signed;
Old Bull in the Pasture

“The Young Bull and the Old Bull are standing on a hillside overlooking a pasture full of cows. The Young Bull is prancing around, all excited, and says to the Old Bull, ‘Let’s run down there and [bleep] some of those cows!’

“The Old Bull just shakes his head. ‘Nah,’ he says. ‘Let’s walk down there and [bleep] all of them.’”

I did have an issue with the right front leg. The screws would not hand tighten in. I ended up having to use my impact driver to get them in but they did tighten up okay. I also had a problem with the left horn with the same issue. For some reason it would not hand tighten so I had to impact it in. I got to the point where I was afraid of actually breaking the screw off so I stopped. It's not as tight on one of the screws as the other but it doesn't seem to have any issues. I may email him about that just to let them know. Other than that, very well packaged, very well built and I am very impressed. Anxious to do my first cook tomorrow.
Huh. The screws on my right front leg were challenging for me, too. I just thought it was my perception, but I had to do a couple of turns with a screw driver before the final "tighten up" with my impact driver. I'm really, really interested if I have the same issue with the left horn, too.

I love to know how the strip on the inside of the lid helps to keep the grease and smoke inside the grill

It doesn't do anything to keep smoke inside the grill. The strip will allow condensation/grease to drip back inside the grill instead of on the outside of your grill below the lid.

Well, doing the burn in now, then time for some good stuff. So many choices.....

I completed my 400-degree 1-hour burning today. No issues during that. I immediately threw on some burgers. Recteq recommends putting something fatty on for your first cook so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone, and hey I was hungry. Had burgers with caramelized onions, bacon, avocado and cheese. We have storms coming in tomorrow because of the leftover remnants of the hurricane so no cooks tomorrow. Here are a few pictures from today.

I did have an issue that my rubs did not show up. I called them today and they are being reshipped. I'm thinking someone from Estes was having a barbecue and needed some rub.

Also my shelf had a few dents and scratches in it. I let them know about that as well and I just want me to send in some pictures. I may ask them if instead of shipping me a new shelf they would be interested in knocking that difference off the price of a competition cart and I'll just buy it from him. Not sure if they would go for it or not.

Attachments

• 20210817_141728.jpg
    20210817_141728.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,101
  • 20210817_160339.jpg
    20210817_160339.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 171
  • 20210817_161059.jpg
    20210817_161059.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 170
  • 20210817_141617.jpg
    20210817_141617.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 20210817_141612.jpg
    20210817_141612.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
  • 20210817_141602.jpg
    20210817_141602.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 182
I completed my 400-degree 1-hour burning today. No issues during that. I immediately threw on some burgers. Recteq recommends putting something fatty on for your first cook so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone, and hey I was hungry. Had burgers with caramelized onions, bacon, avocado and cheese. We have storms coming in tomorrow because of the leftover remnants of the hurricane so no cooks tomorrow. Here are a few pictures from today.

I did have an issue that my rubs did not show up. I called them today and they are being reshipped. I'm thinking someone from Estes was having a barbecue and needed some rub.

Also my shelf had a few dents and scratches in it. I let them know about that as well and I just want me to send in some pictures. I may ask them if instead of shipping me a new shelf they would be interested in knocking that difference off the price of a competition cart and I'll just buy it from him. Not sure if they would go for it or not.
That all looks fantastic!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back