Reverse sear thinner steaks?

Hey Charles - You can use either side of the grates. It's really personal preference. One side puts lines on the meat, the other will act more as a cast iron skillet (which you can also use with similar results) and put more of a consistent light burn on the meat. Coming from someone who has always just used direct fire and heat to put lines or cross marks on my steaks its a nice change of pace to do it skillet style (I just made that up...not sure it's a term). Both are delicious but lately I've been using my grates mostly upside down.

The best results I've gotten on the 700 is to use high heat, probe the steaks (or if no probe just use a meat thermometer) and cook them to whatever preferred eating temp -20 degrees F turning once. Move them onto the sear grates and get them to my preferred temp -15F, flip to a fresh area of the grate (the area you just seared will have cooled down a bit putting the steak on it) and cook to my preferred temp -10F. Then I take it off and let it rest. The meat will come up the last 10 degrees during the rest.

I've tried it on low heat but it's pretty unsatisfying and doesn't do much to throw it on a lower temp sear grate.

As you know from my other posts, going forward I'll be cooking / smoking steaks much slower on the 700 then using a second hotter grill to finish it off.

Hey Charles - You can use either side of the grates. It's really personal preference. One side puts lines on the meat, the other will act more as a cast iron skillet (which you can also use with similar results) and put more of a consistent light burn on the meat. Coming from someone who has always just used direct fire and heat to put lines or cross marks on my steaks its a nice change of pace to do it skillet style (I just made that up...not sure it's a term). Both are delicious but lately I've been using my grates mostly upside down.

The best results I've gotten on the 700 is to use high heat, probe the steaks (or if no probe just use a meat thermometer) and cook them to whatever preferred eating temp -20 degrees F turning once. Move them onto the sear grates and get them to my preferred temp -15F, flip to a fresh area of the grate (the area you just seared will have cooled down a bit putting the steak on it) and cook to my preferred temp -10F. Then I take it off and let it rest. The meat will come up the last 10 degrees during the rest.

I've tried it on low heat but it's pretty unsatisfying and doesn't do much to throw it on a lower temp sear grate.

As you know from my other posts, going forward I'll be cooking / smoking steaks much slower on the 700 then using a second hotter grill to finish it off.
Thanks @FTRecTec. Food info

@FTRecTec, I am basically a lazy A--. Don't want to have to clean the sear plate. How would the steak do if use low heat to get some smoke and then turn the grill up to high to finish her off faster? I thought the steaks rest up to about 5 degrees. I din't know it rises 10 degrees. Thanks again, nice post.

@charlesrshell - the steak will still be delicious. You will get more of a smoked steak as opposed to a grilled or seared steak. Personal preference.

Carryover cooking can be variable. The hotter your cook the more you'll get. If you're cooking at a lower temp you'll likely get closer to 5 degrees. I've typically gotten anywhere between 5-10 degrees based on how hot I cooked the steak.

@charlesrshell - the steak will still be delicious. You will get more of a smoked steak as opposed to a grilled or seared steak. Personal preference.

Carryover cooking can be variable. The hotter your cook the more you'll get. If you're cooking at a lower temp you'll likely get closer to 5 degrees. I've typically gotten anywhere between 5-10 degrees based on how hot I cooked the steak.
Thanks again @FTRecTec. Good info

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back