Reverse Sear advice

timelinex

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've got a gas fire magic grill. I know it gets HOT according to literature, and my experience has been that I can get to 600+ relatively easily and quickly. I do have a IR (searing) attachment I can replace one of my 3 burners with. I never installed it so it doesn't take valuable sq-ft in my grill and since I only used the grill to cook the meat, I would get a nice sear on my meat anyways without it.

Now that I will be using the smoker for some meats, what do you guys recommend for reverse searing? (steaks,tri-tips, etc). Should I just put it on full blast and lay the meat on when it reaches 600+. Or should I actually install the IR attachment which I'm guessing gets very hot very fast (that's the advantage right?)

I personally use the Bull just for smoking, then when I'm ready to sear I move the meat over to my gas grill and sear using Grill Grates. I don't use the Bull for searing, but I'm sure you could.

By the way, best recipe ever:

I sous vide the steak for 2 hours at 115 degrees. Then smoke it for an hour, then finish it off on the grill grates on my weber.

I personally use the Bull just for smoking, then when I'm ready to sear I move the meat over to my gas grill and sear using Grill Grates. I don't use the Bull for searing, but I'm sure you could.

By the way, best recipe ever:

I sous vide the steak for 2 hours at 115 degrees. Then smoke it for an hour, then finish it off on the grill grates on my weber.

Thanks for the recipe advice, I'll take a look.

In case what I said was confusing. I wasn't planning on searing on the RT700, but on my Fire Magic grill. I was trying to figure out whether I should just do it with my regular burners that get really hot anyways, or if I should install my IR attachment instead of one of the burners since I'm pretty sure that is made specifically to sear.

I’d just have your gasser ready on full heat and sear your meat without the IR attachment once you’ve slow cooked it in the recteq to about 110* internal. If your grill will get 600+ you should get a good sear.

I’d just have your gasser ready on full heat and sear your meat without the IR attachment once you’ve slow cooked it in the recteq to about 110* internal. If your grill will get 600+ you should get a good sear.
that - pretty much. I also sometimes use a cast iron pan on my gas range.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back