Stampede Removing the safety screen

Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Does anyone have some advice on the best way to remove the safety screen from the pellet bin on the 590.? I am worried about dropping a screw into the pellets

I just went outside to remove the grate on my 590. I noticed the screws are in there pretty tight and I'm worried about stripping them out. I'm not a weak fella but I jumped out of the slots once and then stopped. I thought I'd come in here and see if they are in there with Loctite or something before I go get rough with it.

If you drop one of the screws a magnet is going to be your best friend, the screws are small enough if you miss or loose one it will pass through the auger to the fire pot. I would also recommend if you remove the lawyer grate reinstall the screws to fill the holes.
good advice thank you

As a brand new owner of a pellet grill, my question is: does the “lawyer grate” really cause problems for many people? It looks to me like it might prevent a few pellets along the edges to not fall down into the auger, but that’s about it. Has there been a lot of complaints about the grate?
Also, I don’t know if you coined the phrase “lawyer grate” or not, but I got a little chuckle out of it.

As a brand new owner of a pellet grill, my question is: does the “lawyer grate” really cause problems for many people?
The grate itself does not cause a problem, but it can be a challenge and an asset. The Bull doesn’t have one, so doesn’t matter one way or another. On my deck, I have a Bullseye and a RT-340 side-by-side. When I clean out the fire pot, I like to prime it with a few pellets. If the pellet level in both of these grills is below the grate, it’s not an option so I took the grate out of the Bullseye. Additionally, if you want to change pellets without using a small shop vac, the grate keeps you from getting a cup in there to scoop them out.

As an asset, I left the grate in the RT-340 because I use it as a storage rack. I keep the putty knife in there all the time to scrape the drip pan with. Additionally, if I’m cooking in the rain and using a ThermoWorks thermometer, I’ll put the base unit inside the hopper on the grate to keep it dry.

I hope you all are not removing the tags from mattresses and pillows
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

As a brand new owner of a pellet grill, my question is: does the “lawyer grate” really cause problems for many people? It looks to me like it might prevent a few pellets along the edges to not fall down into the auger, but that’s about it. Has there been a lot of complaints about the grate?
Also, I don’t know if you coined the phrase “lawyer grate” or not, but I got a little chuckle out of it.
Many people have reported pellets bridging on the lawyer grate and causing flame outs.

I can tell you what I did with mine and it’s working out . I filled the hopper with pellets up to screen level. Then removed the screws, then the screen. Reinstalled the screws and lay the screen back in hopper. Now I can change or remove pellets for storage when I want without waiting for the hopper to empty.

I just got out a pair of tin snips and cut them off. Have to be a little careful so the stubs don't stab me when I reach into the area.

I just got out a pair of tin snips and cut them off. Have to be a little careful so the stubs don't stab me when I reach into the area.
Take the screws out, you won't have to worry about getting stabbed.
(replace the screws when you take the pieces of metal out)

I guess I am a lucky one. No lawyer grate exists on my 590 that is coming up on two years old next month.

Does anyone have some advice on the best way to remove the safety screen from the pellet bin on the 590.? I am worried about dropping a screw into the pellets
When I removed my screen, I used a magnetic pickup to retrieve the dropped screws from the top of the undisturbed pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back