Remove pellets when rain?

Dadbo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
  2. Stampede
We have some forecast rain for the next few days here in Southern Calif, and it doesn't happen that often! My question is - is it necessary to remove all the pellets from the 590 and Bullseye hoppers and feed tubes during rain times? I do have the hoppers rimmed with Lava tape, both grill are covered with the factory covers and they are also under an outdoor roof but has open sides? I have read plenty of incidents with the pellets jammed in the tubes and the mess that creates. What precautions do you all do with your grills with dealing with rain on the grills? And I know they are stainless but I have a nagging feeling that leaving them covered up after the rain or even most off the time may not be good for them, condensation wise. Any thoughts?

@Dadbo I, personally, have never removed the pellets from my RT-700 grill.

My grill is covered with an Unicook grill cover and while it's also under a covered deck, it does commonly get a small bit of rain on the cover.

My RT-700 is not lava rock sealed, and I've never had any issues with my pellets.
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I appreciate your thoughts.

@Dadbo, if what I’m hearing about the hurricane headed for SoCal, I’d be more concerned about the wind. If there’s any way to bring the 700 into the garage or other secure area, I would do that. Otherwise, I would certainly secure it to some stationary object so it can’t be tipped over and the fabric cover can’t be blown off.

My grills are covered with good fabric covers and live under a patio roof with open sides. I’ve never had a pellet issue from moisture but not saying it can’t happen.

Good luck getting through a rough-weather stretch. Stay safe.

Jim, the weather forecast here is but perhaps 20 mph winds at most, at this time. The Napoleon 500 is in the garage as well as my Blackstone. And Threadcutter, I do have a pellet head vacuum and you are right it will take only a few minutes to do.

I am expecting some good needed rain but praying it will not be devastating to anyone will all the prior warning. Shoppers were a bit manic and in a mild manic too buying lots of stuff at the store this morning for this rain which is to last perhaps 24 hours. I suppose if power goes out on the grid for a time that will be an issue for some/most. A couple years ago we had solar and battery backup installed which avoids blackouts for us. I expect a major El Nino system all winter here. We need the water.

i am also in SoCal. This isn”t my first rodeo. Competition cart with brakes on and it has never budged. I did put the Blackstone in the garage though.

I live in Vermont and this has been the rainiest summer on record I think (thinking of a new bumper sticker - “Come to Vermont - the cost of living is high, the salaries are low, but at least the weather sucks”). Anyway, mine is covered and I haven’t had an issue with the pellets. Bone dry all summer.

Assembled my rt590 a month ago. In Lansing, Michigan where 24 hrs of rain is not incredibly uncommon. Even smoked pulled pork during a storm. No problem. No water in the pellets. When smoker isn't in in use I cover w rt brand cover.

Assembled my rt590 a month ago. In Lansing, Michigan where 24 hrs of rain is not incredibly uncommon. Even smoked pulled pork during a storm. No problem. No water in the pellets. When smoker isn't in in use I cover w rt brand cover.
Same for me in the SC Lowcountry. We have fairly high humidity and I haven’t had issues with my pellets. Granted, I don’t leave my grill outside…it’s on my screened porch. I do roll it outside to cook. I’ve had a number of cooks where we had rain. No problems.

I think for the most part if your grill is in use weekly or some such you’ll have no worries about humidity, it’s when they sit for long periods unused that you have problems. This would not include grills out in the run uncovered. I run mine to empty before winter whenI use it a lot less.

Thankfully the forecasted rain/wind from the storm ended up greatly reduced where we are. Others not so lucky. I appreciate all the comments and insight, The grills remained dry as did the pellets, it appears and can now give them a go this evening. Hope everyone can enjoy the winding up of this summer into fall.

We have some forecast rain for the next few days here in Southern Calif, and it doesn't happen that often! My question is - is it necessary to remove all the pellets from the 590 and Bullseye hoppers and feed tubes during rain times? I do have the hoppers rimmed with Lava tape, both grill are covered with the factory covers and they are also under an outdoor roof but has open sides? I have read plenty of incidents with the pellets jammed in the tubes and the mess that creates. What precautions do you all do with your grills with dealing with rain on the grills? And I know they are stainless but I have a nagging feeling that leaving them covered up after the rain or even most off the time may not be good for them, condensation wise. Any thoughts?
I live in socal and my 1250 is only convered completely soaked and rings just fine.

I live near Las vegas, probably a little drier than socal, but I have no problem with rain when we get it. We had that heavy Hilary rain for a couple days at the beginning of the week. When it ended I went out and fired up my 590 with the pellets that were in there and everything worked fine. Just guessing now, but I think if pellets are subjected to constant higher relative humidity than we have, you might want to remove pellets.

I live in south Louisiana and my pellets, stay in my hopper on my Bullseye. I do keep a cover over the whole grill though. I also keep my bag of pellets on the little rack underneath the grill. We have lots of rain here and high humidity all year long. Haven’t had an issue yet. .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back