Refrigerator temp question.

opus

Hoping their may be an appliance repair person or at least someone knowledgeable on here that can help. I've had a side-by-side in my garage for the last 6 or so years, before that it was in the kitchen. It started acting up and was throwing the breaker every time it would go into defrost mode so I figured I would just buy a new one instead of trying to repair one that was 20 years old. Old fridge was a Whirlpool and I would keep the fridge on a lower setting so low that I would have ice in my soda bottles. Not sure the exact temp but ordered a freezer/fridge temp monitor from Thermoworks so it should be accurate. I got the new side-by-side 2 weeks ago and it is a Whirlpool also. The temps haven't been steady in it since I got it. I've got the freezer set to its warmest setting and the fridge to its coldest setting. Most of the time the freezer reads around 0 but a few times it has been around 10. Fridge side is jumping from 32 to 43. I was thinking maybe I'm just checking it when the defrost mode is on but I would think that would only effect the freezer side. Just wanted someones opinion before I called up Best Buy to have it looked at.

I have a Best Buy brand chest freezer that cycles between +2F and -10F. It has done it from Day 1. I’ve just gotten used to it. As long as it doesn’t get warmer than +2F, I’m not worried. And, I’m also monitoring mine with a TW unit. They are pretty accurate IME.

I’m not overly impressed with the Best Buy brand refrigerators and freezers. Not sure that I would go there again.

I think setting the freezer colder will help your fridge side. Usually there’s a pass thru vent, it may help maintain steadier temps. Just a theory, costs almost nothing to try.

I think setting the freezer colder will help your fridge side. Usually there’s a pass thru vent, it may help maintain steadier temps. Just a theory, costs almost nothing to try.
The side-by-side that this new one replaced was the opposite. When you turned the freezer colder, it actually would restrict the pass thru vent so less air would go to the fridge. No clue if the new one works that way but they are the same brand and the layout is almost identical. The old fridge had knobs and this one has buttons so it may be different.

There is also the issue of measuring any changes. The manual states it takes 24 hours for any changes to take full effect. That just seems like a really long time. Of course the manual states the obvious for changing the temp. It just says if you want the freezer colder to change the setting for the freezer to colder. If you want the fridge colder to change the setting for the fridge to colder. So far changing the freezer temp hasn't really done anything. I've gone from the middle "normal" setting all the way to the warmest setting and the temp has stayed around 0.

My biggest concern is the change in temps for the freezer. Everything I read says that 40 is the warmest you want the fridge but mine is jumping from 32 to around 44.

Fwiw, took my new French door fridge (bottom freezer) 3 days to acquire a steady temp.

And more fwiw, new GE Profile appliances are a definite step down from the old ones. Guess they want you in 5e Cafe line.

Fwiw, took my new French door fridge (bottom freezer) 3 days to acquire a steady temp.

And more fwiw, new GE Profile appliances are a definite step down from the old ones. Guess they want you in 5e Cafe line.
It has been 2 weeks so time shouldn't be an issue. We have a Samsung in our kitchen which we really like but the salesman said he wouldn't recommend putting a Samsung in the garage..

There are "garage" rated fridges now. I dunno if a non-garage fridge in the garage voids the warranty.
We were shopping last year (I think) and paid the bit more for the garage designation.

There are "garage" rated fridges now. I dunno if a non-garage fridge in the garage voids the warranty.
We were shopping last year (I think) and paid the bit more for the garage designation.
Yeah, the “garage-rated” units tolerate the wider ambient temperature range found in unheated garages; <40F in the winter and >100F in the summer.

That is true, though I couldn't find a side-by-side one, just the top freezer versions, which we wanted the extra freezer space. Looking at the specs, my non-garage rated one says it is good from 55 to 110 degrees. The garage rated says it is good from 38 to 110 degrees. In my case, that doesn't help me because I have very few cold days but a lot of hot days. We have already been near 110 outside several times this year. We are actually supposed to be at 105 the next few days. I'm actually looking at doing some insulating to the garage to hopefully help with the heat.

If you CRANK it to max on both sides will it hold temps steady? Then you have two options - maybe the variance is set too high on the factory settings and you live with it - or you blow a few more bucks and get temp controllers from Amazon for probably another $40 (total guess) and it will turn your fridge on/off to keep your temps where you want them. (you leave everything on max and the controller powers the fridge on when more cold is needed)

If you CRANK it to max on both sides will it hold temps steady? Then you have two options - maybe the variance is set too high on the factory settings and you live with it - or you blow a few more bucks and get temp controllers from Amazon for probably another $40 (total guess) and it will turn your fridge on/off to keep your temps where you want them. (you leave everything on max and the controller powers the fridge on when more cold is needed)
No, I haven't found any setting that keeps the temps steady. I've had both dials set to the coldest for the last few days and I'm seeing the 10+ degree fluctuation in the fridge. Actually from what I've read while researching, the freezer dial just controls the damper, it has no effect on the compressor. The fridge dial actually controls the compressor even though it is located in the freezer.

OK, last thought on this.... Do you know what the swing was on your last fridge? Or your last five fridges? Or your stick burner, kamado, charcoal grill? Back in my day ( my kids love that) - if it kept the food cold, or the grills turned out decent food - no one cared what the real lab certified thermometer temp was, let alone the temp swings.
The more tech we have - the less happy we are.

Back in my day ( my kids love that) - if it kept the food cold, or the grills turned out decent food - no one cared what the real lab certified thermometer temp was, let alone the temp swings.
Exactly!!! And, I’m as guilty as anyone for going down that road.

As I’ve posted previously in other threads, my grandmother was a superb cook and baker—and, she didn’t own a thermometer. She just had a feel for her stove and the food she was preparing.

Now, I admit that it is nice to know the exact internal temperature of the protein you have on the grill, but I’m still able to cook without that information. Maybe, “Gramma” passed some of her knowledge down to an appreciative grandson. :unsure:

OK, last thought on this.... Do you know what the swing was on your last fridge? Or your last five fridges? Or your stick burner, kamado, charcoal grill? Back in my day ( my kids love that) - if it kept the food cold, or the grills turned out decent food - no one cared what the real lab certified thermometer temp was, let alone the temp swings.
No, I have no idea, wish I did. But I've had to throw out a couple of packages of meat from the new fridge because they smelled bad and they had only been in there a couple of days.

I agree with the "Back in my day" part. I've told my wife a few times she wouldn't have survived in my family since she is a germaphobe. My grandmother would put all the food on the table at lunch and after we were done she would cover the food on the table with a tablecloth to hopefully keep the insects off it. When it was supper time she would take off the tablecloth and you would eat the same food with fresh cornbread of course!

I guess I'm lucky. I'm 55 and only on my 4th fridge!

Exactly!!! And, I’m as guilty as anyone for going down that road.

As I’ve posted previously in other threads, my grandmother was a superb cook and baker—and, she didn’t own a thermometer. She just had a feel for her stove and the food she was preparing.

Now, I admit that it is nice to know the exact internal temperature of the protein you have on the grill, but I’m still able to cook without that information. Maybe, “Gramma” passed some of her knowledge down to an appreciative grandson. :unsure:
Same for my grandmother. Unfortunately everything was done with a pinch of this and that so all here cooking knowledge was lost. My mother can't cook anything like my grandmother did.

Unfortunately I'm very guilty of grilling without taking the temperature of anything. If it looks done then it is done.

Looks like I'm going to have to call Best Buy tomorrow and see what they can do. I took out 6lbs of ground beef I bought at Costco Saturday to divide up and freeze and decided to check the temp with my thermopro. It was reading 44 degrees. Unless someone tells me differently I would expect it to be 40 or below, especially since I have the fridge set to it coldest setting.

Looks like I'm going to have to call Best Buy tomorrow and see what they can do. I took out 6lbs of ground beef I bought at Costco Saturday to divide up and freeze and decided to check the temp with my thermopro. It was reading 44 degrees. Unless someone tells me differently I would expect it to be 40 or below, especially since I have the fridge set to it coldest setting.
I think a call is in order. 44 degrees no bueno.

Our 11 year old Samsung 27 cu.ft. SS is set to 0 and 36. Seems to stay very close. Our very old 4 ft wide chest freezer sets on -4 to +1 f both are checked with a TW fridge freezer digital thermos.

ps, by very old I mean an Amana chest freezer that is 40 yo +/-.

I bought a new upright freezer for the garage (Frigidair). I decided to get a temperature logger to check it out before moving the meats from the old chest freezer. The graphs below are for overnight last night. We are away from the house. So, it will be mid next week before I get fresh data.

Keep in mind that the freezer is completely empty. Thus, I expect the temperature swings will moderate considerably when I load it up with frozen items.

What do you think is up with the one jump up to 17*? Is that a defrost cycle? Again, I am sure it will be stable with frozen food in it.

DC54A50E-6248-4CA2-AA2E-341416B52774.png

I worked on medical frig and freezers all the time at the hospital, the stated issues are typically due to bad temp probe going to controller, or a lack of refrigerant....."yes they are low or almost empty many times upon delivery". It's under warranty, so I'd make a call and have the experts troubleshoot and do a low/high pressure test on the system. The compressor should stay cool enough when running that you can lay your hand on it, if not the case it's working really hard likely due to low refrigerant. I've had a cheap old school Whirlpool frig/freezer out in my garage for years, I also have a temp monitor that I got from the hospital, it shows the history and I do see swings of 3 to 4 degrees consistently which is normal. NOTHING appliance wise is made like it used to be, nor is the quality control as good as it used to be.......expensive crap with people assembling who don't give a crap. OP hasn't been back since Tuesday, hopefully got this resolved and will report back. Keep those condenser coils clean folks, regardless of whether in the house or out in the garage, it's no different than the radiator in your car. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back