DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
The T-bone was medium rare. The temp probe was well done

Attachments

• E64043AD-C93B-40DB-982A-EAF2D22FF5B5.jpeg
    E64043AD-C93B-40DB-982A-EAF2D22FF5B5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 319
This is just the male end of the Recteq probe that came with the unit. I hung it over one of the steer horns and left it hanging there during cool down. I did not notice, and probably wouldn’t of thought anything of it had I noticed, that it was touching the hot front of the unit.

Operator error??? Are you suggesting…Okay. Maybe. Probably

On the serious side, I’ve got to figure how to pry it off without doing more than minimal damage to the front of the smoker.

On the serious side, I’ve got to figure how to pry it off without doing more than minimal damage to the front of the smoker.
Next time you use the grill and it's hot, it should pull right off. Then a little scraping with a damp rag wrapping around a putty knife may take off some of the melting plastic.

You could also try getting a can of the "Keyboard Cleaner Air". With the grill cold, hold the can upside down, spray the plastic liberally (thereby "freezing" it), then tap the plastic (parallel with the grill surface) with a screwdriver/small ball pein hammer. It may just pop right off.

https://www.amazon.com/Compressed-D...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Personally, I'd try this first. Then, if it didn't come off (or only partially), I'd go the heat route. My concern with the heat route is that the hotter it gets, the more it's likely to just smear all over everything.

Merely something else to consider.....:)

Last edited:
I’ll do it. Odd. Yesterday I found a can of air in the garage.

Hello DesertRat, are you at all acquainted with welding tools? You can go to Harbor Freight for about $20 and purchase a 4.5" angle grinder and some very thin cutting blades to remove the probe from the grill, then some scotchbrite pads for the grinder to re-shine the grill body.
Just be very careful not to cut into the grill. You may just be able, once cool, to break it off then remove the remaining plastic with the scotchbrite pads on the grinder.

Best of luck,

freezing and tapping with hammer and chizel or screwdriver. it should pop right off
for the reside (plastic) that will be left clean with acetone . Soaking some should melt it and be able to wipe off

It’s off. The can of air was mostly empty. Wednesday I grilled burgers and it fell off while I was gathering the cable. So I’ve got a bit of cleanup to do. Thanks for all of the suggestions and interest.

Attachments

• F11792ED-A46E-4F50-9C02-36056054685E.jpeg
    F11792ED-A46E-4F50-9C02-36056054685E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back