RecTeq turning off app remote start up feature?

A landscaper, nanny and baby walk into a bar... Ok, I'm a bit late to this what-if conflagration postulation party, so I suppose I'm a bit confused.

Initial disclaimer: I've never used the app to remotely turn on my RT-590, and always thought it was a bit risky, but admittedly also convenient for some users.
Second disclaimer: I've worked for the federal government for almost 34 years trying to help the public, so we're not all bad. But even I'm not a fan of everything they do.

Anyway, in Ray Carnes' post he made the leap from the well-meaning landscaper to suddenly starting a housefire and becoming an involuntary baby-killer. Yet don't most/all outdoor cooking apparatus manufacturers include explicit instructions NOT to store (mostly propane) or use the cooking appliances within a certain supposedly-safe distance of flammable structures such as a house? For example, I think RT advises at least 5 feet. Even if one stored the smoker in a shed as I do (under lock and key, to keep out my landscaper & nanny...), for those that have occasionally planned ahead & used the remote start, they very likely had that set up at a government (or at least corporate) mandated safe distance from their house, shed, nanny's quarters, etc. My long-winded self-amusing point is, if we're all already obeying that safe-distance regulation (ahem), why do they feel it necessary to go further and actually control citizen behavior by shutting down that app function?
I'm not looking to get into a debate about tort reform (ugh, please). And frankly, after 3 pages of comments/post in this thread, I'm a bit disappointed our dear friend C. Keeper hasn't been more humorously vocal on this subject. I guess it just all seems a bit much, and goes to show you can provide perfectly clear safety guidelines to the masses (that few actually follow), but if you want to get rid of a problem nanny while having an airtight "I was at work" alabi while conveniently blaming the landscaper, big brother's gonna force you to find a different weapon than your pellet grill.

What an interesting discussion. Let me start, as a former member of an ANSI working group, that ANSI is not a regulatory body. I personally think ANSI has done many things to advance safety and reliability of products in a consistent manner but the voting body is just a bunch of human beings like us with specialized expertise on a particular subject. Examples of bad ANSI decisions include the Separate Pull Cord for Blinds, Square Footage standard, and many others. ANSI can establish the criteria for the certification of products to meet “ANSI” standards but it takes a regulation (e.g., Federal Acquisition Regulation, Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation, DOT Regulation, OSHA, EPA, UL, CPA, or similar) to impose/reference the requirement and make it enforceable. As of this point, I don’t see the law or regulation referenced that would make this change mandatory for current or legacy products. Interestingly, if you follow proper protocol (look at the manual for proper ventilation and clearances) the risk of a fire due to remote turn on can be mitigated. Further, when an item is marketed and sold based on disclosed features, the price you pay includes said features. If I sell you a car with remote start capability, does it seem fair that the feature can be disabled because the manufacturer is part of a consortium, council or committee that arbitrarily turns it off? If yes, then what keeps them from putting a limit on the maximum temperature of your smoker down to 250F after you purchased it with a disclosed capability to hit 700F. One could argue and get ANSI to say anything over 212F is too much and should be restricted. But that doesn’t make it proper of ethical. On a go forward basis I can see that occurring but on an existing purchase it seems like a modern form of bait and switch based on what is convenient for the company, not required by law. Further, I see comments about whether the feature is needed and that people don’t know the feature existed, which is a slap in the face for those of us that are smart, informed, consumers that used the advertised features to distinguish and influence our buying decisions. Sure, if you are lazy enough to just buy anything without listing and identifying the pros and cons of your purchase that is your right. For every “me” there is someone buying a basic vehicle with no options that doesn’t care, but when I spend my money I do the proper research to know what I am purchasing and expect to have the features that are listed or receive recompense if they don’t work or appear. Just my thoughts.

What an interesting discussion. Let me start, as a former member of an ANSI working group, that ANSI is not a regulatory body. I personally think ANSI has done many things to advance safety and reliability of products in a consistent manner but the voting body is just a bunch of human beings like us with specialized expertise on a particular subject. Examples of bad ANSI decisions include the Separate Pull Cord for Blinds, Square Footage standard, and many others. ANSI can establish the criteria for the certification of products to meet “ANSI” standards but it takes a regulation (e.g., Federal Acquisition Regulation, Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation, DOT Regulation, OSHA, EPA, UL, CPA, or similar) to impose/reference the requirement and make it enforceable. As of this point, I don’t see the law or regulation referenced that would make this change mandatory for current or legacy products. Interestingly, if you follow proper protocol (look at the manual for proper ventilation and clearances) the risk of a fire due to remote turn on can be mitigated. Further, when an item is marketed and sold based on disclosed features, the price you pay includes said features. If I sell you a car with remote start capability, does it seem fair that the feature can be disabled because the manufacturer is part of a consortium, council or committee that arbitrarily turns it off? If yes, then what keeps them from putting a limit on the maximum temperature of your smoker down to 250F after you purchased it with a disclosed capability to hit 700F. One could argue and get ANSI to say anything over 212F is too much and should be restricted. But that doesn’t make it proper of ethical. On a go forward basis I can see that occurring but on an existing purchase it seems like a modern form of bait and switch based on what is convenient for the company, not required by law. Further, I see comments about whether the feature is needed and that people don’t know the feature existed, which is a slap in the face for those of us that are smart, informed, consumers that used the advertised features to distinguish and influence our buying decisions. Sure, if you are lazy enough to just buy anything without listing and identifying the pros and cons of your purchase that is your right. For every “me” there is someone buying a basic vehicle with no options that doesn’t care, but when I spend my money I do the proper research to know what I am purchasing and expect to have the features that are listed or receive recompense if they don’t work or appear. Just my thoughts.
Consumer Products Safety Commission*.

Screenshot_20240228-051819.png

You feel controlled by not being able to remotely start your grill?? I'll say again, get a grip.

Nah it's not about that at all, you're obviously just not paying attention to everything else which has been going on and is ramping up towards the 24 election. Talk to an insurance actuary about the stats they are seeing about "things", those numbers and stats are unparalleled. Big corporations, US government, big pharma, world governments, WEF, MSM and all the American alphabet agencies......are not our friends "if you value freedom". We are being systematically destroyed/divided in so many ways, and it's just flying right over the heads of many, as they refuse to believe it.

Also right along the lines of this stupid app change, what else are "they" going to deem as dangerous and unnecessary for us to have or enjoy? This little change didn't come out of thin air, I am betting there is some teeth to it. Y'all live and believe as you may, all I know is that when the shite hits the fan.......I am more better prepared than most.

A landscaper, nanny and baby walk into a bar... Ok, I'm a bit late to this what-if conflagration postulation party, so I suppose I'm a bit confused.

Initial disclaimer: I've never used the app to remotely turn on my RT-590, and always thought it was a bit risky, but admittedly also convenient for some users.
Second disclaimer: I've worked for the federal government for almost 34 years trying to help the public, so we're not all bad. But even I'm not a fan of everything they do.

Anyway, in Ray Carnes' post he made the leap from the well-meaning landscaper to suddenly starting a housefire and becoming an involuntary baby-killer. Yet don't most/all outdoor cooking apparatus manufacturers include explicit instructions NOT to store (mostly propane) or use the cooking appliances within a certain supposedly-safe distance of flammable structures such as a house? For example, I think RT advises at least 5 feet. Even if one stored the smoker in a shed as I do (under lock and key, to keep out my landscaper & nanny...), for those that have occasionally planned ahead & used the remote start, they very likely had that set up at a government (or at least corporate) mandated safe distance from their house, shed, nanny's quarters, etc. My long-winded self-amusing point is, if we're all already obeying that safe-distance regulation (ahem), why do they feel it necessary to go further and actually control citizen behavior by shutting down that app function?
I'm not looking to get into a debate about tort reform (ugh, please). And frankly, after 3 pages of comments/post in this thread, I'm a bit disappointed our dear friend C. Keeper hasn't been more humorously vocal on this subject. I guess it just all seems a bit much, and goes to show you can provide perfectly clear safety guidelines to the masses (that few actually follow), but if you want to get rid of a problem nanny while having an airtight "I was at work" alabi while conveniently blaming the landscaper, big brother's gonna force you to find a different weapon than your pellet grill.
Ray disabled remote start on my Bullseye years ago, old news.

CPSC is the dog with bite in this overblown matter. It is a small federal agency that writes proposed federal regulations, seeks comments from industry etc and then publishes their final ruling. It functions in some ways to promote the political goals of the party in power. Commissioners are nominated by the WH and must be confirmed by Senate. Don't blame recteq or old Ray for this. All the "informed" consumers make no difference with the current political agenda on energy. I am exiting this thread.

Your citation reinforces my position that a regulatory authority must promulgate a regulation for this to be anything more that a company initiative. Further, and as stated above, I have not seen the regulation.
So to be clear, you are saying until we find an actual regulation written, these are only suggestions and Ray is not being truthful that an agency "made them do it" ? It was free choice or he's gone " woke ". Why would he not just say "they decided to do this". If that were the cae ? He was adamant they didnt want to, and were forced to.

Nah it's not about that at all, you're obviously just not paying attention to everything else which has been going on and is ramping up towards the 24 election. Talk to an insurance actuary about the stats they are seeing about "things", those numbers and stats are unparalleled. Big corporations, US government, big pharma, world governments, WEF, MSM and all the American alphabet agencies......are not our friends "if you value freedom". We are being systematically destroyed/divided in so many ways, and it's just flying right over the heads of many, as they refuse to believe it.

Also right along the lines of this stupid app change, what else are "they" going to deem as dangerous and unnecessary for us to have or enjoy? This little change didn't come out of thin air, I am betting there is some teeth to it. Y'all live and believe as you may, all I know is that when the shite hits the fan.......I am more better prepared than most.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on nearly all points.

Ray disabled remote start on my Bullseye years ago, old news.
You didn't get the firmware update for your original Bullseye? 😂

I've never used the app to remote start my grill as I have to plug it in first anyways, so this doesn't really concern me. As long as I can still check the probe temps, adjust the pit temp and shut it off with my phone, I am personally fine with it.

This is complete bullshit. It figures anything that’s good and helps people get stuff done is immediately ruined by a bunch of elbow pad, bike helmet, idiots who all of a sudden have to play nanny state and wreck everything for everybody. That was one of the best features with this thing for multiple reasons. I have a camera on the grill and I checked to make sure the grill is clear before I turn it on. It ought to be my business whether or not I want to turn on my grill at my house. Pathetic!

Once you update the app you will no longer be able to turn your Recteq on from the app. It is B.S. Everyone raise hell this sucks. Fix the app.

I dont think you can stop it. It doesnt give me the option its a forced update if you want to use the app.

Screenshot_20240228-181128.png
Screenshot_20240228-181233.png

When I opened my app it says new version available and asks if you want to update yes or no. I was able to decline. Haven’t tried starting grill remotely cause it’s raining and I’m out of pellets

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back