RecTeq turning off app remote start up feature?

I hate to be a contrarian but how the H can you allow me to remote start my car from anywhere on the planet, roll the windows up and down (potentially trapping an arm, leg, or head in, remote start the fireplace in my house, and do just about anything I want with a smart plug that is connected to a portable heater, and sell me on this idea. If we want to play the what if scenario, what if the same do good gardner accidently bumps the power button with his rake when the cover is on? What will they do to prevent that from occurring? I guess they can take away the button altogether and replace it with a charcoal briquet basket and cut the cord completely off the unit or disable the controller! Sorry for my rant but this makes no sense. The same house with the same gardner can also set his toaster oven, real oven, dishwasher, washer, dryer, and other appliances for a delayed or timed start also. Until I see the actual ordinance, it sounds like they are removing a feature to avoid company risk and liability in case the switch fails, not because of the stated reason. Heck, they have a dozen smokers on their own property plugged in all the time, has there building had a problem that was related to that accident scenario they are trying to sell us on? Can you tell I smell the odor of stinky fish in the air and it’s not coming from my RT700, but it is Bull! From my perspective, if/when this occurs, it should be a universal requirement on a go forward basis for everybody and applied for future designs because I subsidized the inclusion of this feature and I haven’t seen any mention of a refund under the UCC’s merchantability clause which should allow me to remedy the situation by retuning the RT700 as it now considered defective from my perspective. A similar event is winding itself through the courts with Tesla disabling/hobbling features that were advertised and paid for on vehicles and I hope Tesla loses. I yield the podium to my fellow colleagues for their rebuttal.
Interesting viewpoint! The problem for this ol' gas-passer is that I see all this remote control stuff as just another opportunity for something to go wrong. And, when it does, it usually affects someone else other than the owner/user. "Personal responsibility" was mentioned in an earlier post, but IME it has pretty much disappeared and has been replaced by "it was someone else's fault." YMMV

It’s interesting that Ray would say that Traeger is “disabling theirs as well” and make it look like the government is making them do it (“powers that be”). I couldn’t find anything about any new government regulation and Traegers website says that none of their grills can be started remotely. They can be temp controlled and grill shut off but not started. Sounds like the “powers that be” are the insurance folks, investors or both.
1709010942816.png
1709011079370.png
1709011079370.png

Ugh. Anyone have any idea if this feature removal is coming in the form of an app update or will they turn it off on their side somehow? Already turned off auto update on my app on case it's merely an app update but I bet it's on their side.
I think it goes through their servers, so turning off the update probably wont help us anyway.

It’s interesting that Ray would say that Traeger is “disabling theirs as well” and make it look like the government is making them do it (“powers that be”). I couldn’t find anything about any new government regulation and Traegers website says that none of their grills can be started remotely. They can be temp controlled and grill shut off but not started. Sounds like the “powers that be” are the insurance folks, investors or both.
View attachment 21333View attachment 21334View attachment 21334
I couldnt find it either, but thats what Ray said anyhow.... We will see weds I guess.

SO SO much I could say about this, but ANYONE that believes this has anything to do with safety in mind.......I have oceanfront property here in Ohio I'll sell you real cheap. This is just more nanny state BS to control every facet of our lives, and no matter the laws/regulations/rules/changes........you cannot invent or regulate common sense. Nothing in America kills more humans than the spoon and fork and big pharma, and a close second is humans killing humans. So many things going on right now are a slippery slope, or they have already gone right down the slope. I like to turn off my grill remotely at times, I never leave it plugged in, and I neither need nor want any governing agency or another think tank body, to save me from myself. We currently have wide open borders here in America, I am quite certain that is more of a safety and security issue than remotely starting a grill or any appliance for that matter. :rolleyes:

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”. Ben Franklin

I don't think it's the .gov pressuring RecTeq to disable this feature.

When RecTeq sought private equity investors in order to grow their brand, they gave up some degree of control.

Those investors come with teams of lawyers and those lawyers see a potentially large risk in the remote start feature.

I don't like it. I used this feature frequently to turn on my grills when I leave the office so they could be at temp when I get home. I upgraded a perfectly good Bullseye to the BullseyeX at least in part to have this feature. It sucks, but I understand the decision.

I have an app for my range, my countertop oven, and my Yoder. All 3 require the user to go to the device to manually hit the start button. When I first bought a recteq I thought the remote start was a great feature. The more I thought about what could go wrong with a covered recteq, I started unplugging them when not in use. BTW, all 3 of the devices mentioned above can be powered off remotely, and I’d expect the recteq to do the same.

...I guess you skipped the part where I asked why not make it fail-safe with a code needed , a two step or even three step process for that matter ?...
There' are plenty of ways to assure your child never dies in a app controlled smoker fire*
And there are equally as many ways for them to accidentally die from one.

Does it really matter “who the powers that be” are? Ray takes the high road and explains why common sense says the remote start function could have unintended results. The scenario he posted is just one of the many possible scenarios. Sometimes, rules actually make sense.I know that may inconvenience a few folks but how would youn feel if your grill touched off a fire that took one or more lives? I can walk out to the patio and press the button.
100% agree. I see no reason for OP's displeasure. If this "Regulation" or insurance decision saves even 1 life, then its worth it.

And there are equally as many ways for them to accidentally die from one.
Id argue that, but doesnt matter either way since Ray said they tried to go the extra safety measures route and it didnt matter... The new regulation just wont allow it.

I mainly shared this post for discussion , am I displeased? Yes.
Recteq (Rays words) didnt want to do this they had to because of regulation. If some one took away your personal freedom to drive a certain speed by restricting your vehicle, or turn on a radio, or remote start in the cold garage, would everyone be responding the same way?.... If they limited your power consumption at your home would you feel the same way ?...

Also, (not myself) but some bought these products based on these options being a selling point. They paid for it. How is that fair to them ?

Im not angry about it, disappointed yes. But this is a bit deeper than the "it might save a life" thing. This is more like a woman cutting her breasts off because she "might" get cancer "someday".... We cant be a nanny state just because some people are less intelligent than the smoker they operate. People are making this about a button or a possibility. Id like to see some hard numbers. Whats the operator error factor? Etc....

What's this rumor Im hearing about RT turning off or having to turn off the remote startup feature on the app soon??? Regulation ? Or ?
Any links or statements ??

Edit: post from Ray found. This kinda sucks imo. It was just a luxury sure, but a handy one at times . Leave it ro the Govt to screw up a good thing. I wish Ray would actually say who and not "the powers that be"....
Well, turn off your "auto update"...lol
As far as I am concerned, they are helping the government take our rights away. When will someone (including Us) start saying No and stand up for our rights.

SO SO much I could say about this, but ANYONE that believes this has anything to do with safety in mind.......I have oceanfront property here in Ohio I'll sell you real cheap. This is just more nanny state BS to control every facet of our lives, and no matter the laws/regulations/rules/changes........you cannot invent or regulate common sense. Nothing in America kills more humans than the spoon and fork and big pharma, and a close second is humans killing humans. So many things going on right now are a slippery slope, or they have already gone right down the slope. I like to turn off my grill remotely at times, I never leave it plugged in, and I neither need nor want any governing agency or another think tank body, to save me from myself. We currently have wide open borders here in America, I am quite certain that is more of a safety and security issue than remotely starting a grill or any appliance for that matter. :rolleyes:

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”. Ben Franklin
Would it be possible to make monthly payments on that oceanfront property? Asking for a friend.

As far as I am concerned, they are helping the government take our rights away. When will someone (including Us) start saying No and stand up for our rights.
I’m sorry, but this thread is going off the rails; where in the Constitution does it say you have a “right” to a remote start on your pellet grill?

Nobody is taking anybody’s rights away. If you don’t like the rules the government enforces, vote for different senators and representatives; THEY are the ones that MAKE the rules; “the government” just implements what Congress enacts.

End or rant…and, my participation in this thread.

Look, the RecTeq family, like any family, has members that are the reason warning labels like these exist. They are the reason we can't have nice things.

1642-fig01.jpg
0128_washing-machine-warning-label_485x340.jpg
Hey-Pandas-Post-A-Picture-Of-The-Dumbest-Warning-Youve-Seen-62436304a3551-png__700.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back