Recteq must be mad at me!

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Since I turned off the “Leader Board,” my Trailblazer has refused to connect to wifi; it just sits there with a slow-blinking red light. I tried deleting the Trailblazer from the app and then adding it as a new grill. It will not connect. I think I must have irritated RT by turning off their much-touted “Leader Board.” :rolleyes:

Fortunately, the only feature I lose without the app is remote turn-off. I use either my TW Signals (primarily) or my Meater 2+ for temperature monitoring, so no need for the app. That said, it would ne nice to have the grill work like I paid for it to. Had this problem about a year ago and—mysteriously—it suddenly connected and has done so until recently.

Getting closer to ordering a new pellet grill, and it won’t be a RT.

Since I turned off the “Leader Board,” my Trailblazer has refused to connect to wifi; it just sits there with a slow-blinking red light. I tried deleting the Trailblazer from the app and then adding it as a new grill. It will not connect. I think I must have irritated RT by turning off their much-touted “Leader Board.” :rolleyes:

Fortunately, the only feature I lose without the app is remote turn-off. I use either my TW Signals (primarily) or my Meater 2+ for temperature monitoring, so no need for the app. That said, it would ne nice to have the grill work like I paid for it to. Had this problem about a year ago and—mysteriously—it suddenly connected and has done so until recently.

I'm sure RT will survive.

Jim6820,
I won’t get on my “soapbox” to discuss the “enhancements” RT is offering. However, I still have my original EULA and it does not state nor infer I am required to exchange any information with RT regarding my cooks or product use. Further, these new enhancements skirt what is legal in a number of countries for the exchange of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and may run adverse to California’s Privacy Protection Act regarding the exchange of information. Specifically, the EULA does not allow me to make any modification(s) to the software/firmware load that was present when my controller was delivered. However, as a point of contention, the sales agreement that was in place at the time my contract was solidified with RT does not mandate I exchange any information regarding my cooks in this manner, nor did they include a provision to allow RT to disable a previously disclosed feature (i.e,”remote start from anywhere”) that was in effect at that time. I wish I had the time to pursue their hidden requirement for the “leader board” that includes their active monitoring of their devices performance to an unidentified 3rd party (post VC acquisition), but maybe someone else on this thread may be interested in pulling that thread (pun inteneded).

"Getting closer to ordering a new pellet grill, and it won’t be a RT."

Wait... weren't you being critical of others when they tried to discuss previous app function posts ? (Or the loss of) Or how Reqtec was getting "controlling" etc etc.... oh how the tide has turned. Maybe you're catching on now ? Either way, I do agree its ridiculous to have to have the "leaderboard" on for functionality.
It isn't fun when something you paid for is changed or doesn't work as it should. Don't take this as a attack, its just an observation.

Wait... weren't you being critical of others when they tried to discuss previous app function posts ? (Or the loss of) Or how Reqtec was getting "controlling" etc etc.... oh how the tide has turned. Maybe you're catching on now ? Either way, I do agree its ridiculous to have to have the "leaderboard" on for functionality.
It isn't fun when something you paid for is changed or doesn't work as it should. Don't take this as a attack, its just an observation.
👍

😬

Please let us know what new pellet grill you get.

And, I’m hoping this isn’t the end of @Jim6820 on this forum. You’ve been an invaluable asset to this community.

I have leaderboards turned off and still have full app functionality, so not sure where you got it from that you HAVE to have it for functionality. Sounds more like a glitch between this home network and grill than a "Recteq is the big bad" notion.

I have leaderboards turned off and still have full app functionality, so not sure where you got it from that you HAVE to have it for functionality. Sounds more like a glitch between this home network and grill than a "Recteq is the big bad" notion.
Not me , its jim6820 *

I don’t believe I ever said “you have to have it on for functionality.” What I did say was that after I switched off the Leader Board function, I was unable to get the grill to connect. Turns out that it was apparently just coincidence; see below.

So, here’s an update; I removed the grill from the app, deleted the app, downloaded the app again (it was the same version as the one I deleted) and added the grill to the newly downloaded app. After several attempts—over two days—I finally got the grill connected to my wifi. Why it took several attempts, I have no idea; I changed nothing in the procedure and used the same wifi connection. It kept telling me it was unable to connect. Then, finally—on the second day, it connected nearly immediately. Go figure! My wireless router is about 25’ away from the grill, and with an unobstructed view of the grill through glass patio doors.

After re-installing the app, I did check and found that the Leader Board setting was set in the off position. So, that would support your thought that the setting shouldn’t affect functionality. Now, I don’t know whether RT has changed the default setting to off, or if there was a residual setting that was picked up when I reinstalled the app.

And, as to @TheRicker ’s question, I’m still looking hard at the MAK Two-Star General (all stainless version). Just need to get the second home and motorhome sold before I start spending that kind of money. The Chancellor of the Exchequer is watching the budget pretty closely right not. ;)

Now, when I do get a new grill, it will be up to the forum whether a non -RT owner can still participate. Maybe I’ll just keep the Trailblazer in the storage shed just to be sure. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I don’t believe I ever said “you have to have it on for functionality.” What I did say was that after I switched off the Leader Board function, I was unable to get the grill to connect. Turns out that it was apparently just coincidence; see below.

So, here’s an update; I removed the grill from the app, deleted the app, downloaded the app again (it was the same version as the one I deleted) and added the grill to the newly downloaded app. After several attempts—over two days—I finally got the grill connected to my wifi. Why it took several attempts, I have no idea; I changed nothing in the procedure and used the same wifi connection. It kept telling me it was unable to connect. Then, finally—on the second day, it connected nearly immediately. Go figure! My wireless router is about 25’ away from the grill, and with an unobstructed view of the grill through glass patio doors.

After re-installing the app, I did check and found that the Leader Board setting was set in the off position. So, that would support your thought that the setting shouldn’t affect functionality. Now, I don’t know whether RT has changed the default setting to off, or if there was a residual setting that was picked up when I reinstalled the app.

And, as to @TheRicker ’s question, I’m still looking hard at the MAK Two-Star General (all stainless version). Just need to get the second home and motorhome sold before I start spending that kind of money. The Chancellor of the Exchequer is watching the budget pretty closely right not. ;)

Now, when I do get a new grill, it will be up to the forum whether a non -RT owner can still participate. Maybe I’ll just keep the Trailblazer in the storage shed just to be sure. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.
I never said that you did. I was directly quoting @Buckeye smoker "I do agree its ridiculous to have to have the "leaderboard" on for functionality.". Also, sounds like my thought was correct that it was simply a case of a tech glitch between the app/grill/network, not some scheme from Recteq to remove features we've already paid for as @Buckeye smoker implied.

I never said that you did. I was directly quoting @Buckeye smoker "I do agree its ridiculous to have to have the "leaderboard" on for functionality.". Also, sounds like my thought was correct that it was simply a case of a tech glitch between the app/grill/network, not some scheme from Recteq to remove features we've already paid for as @Buckeye smoker implied.
Yeah, I would think not connecting after switching it off would be a functionality issue.... 😆

But I missed where he said it ended up working also. So if it was just coincidence, is he still buying a non- recteq next time ?? 🙄

@v1per95
also what I was talking about were older posts... I wasnt trying to imply they took it away in his case but more to make a point about the older posts and his responses.

I don't blame you for wanting a different pellet grill. !!

If I had to buy anther pellet grill it would another brand. I think RT is falling way behind in feature offering. Great grills but not having an easy ash clean-out or easy pellet dump (especially important if you live in a high humidity area), no sear section, no modular shelf system etc etc are all showing signs of a company still selling buggy whips. The excuse that they don’t want to offer some of these features because it introduces another avenue for moisture to get to the pellets (what customer service once told me on a call) is so BS given that the flimsy hopper cover is just a loosely fitting lid that seals nothing. The App, well, thats another whole set of issues. But its still a great smoker, well made, and I find that Customer Service is generally very responsive and warranty support has been excellent.

First time using my RT1250 today in about 1.5 months.

App will not, repeat will not work until I Opt-in to Leaderboard. UFB! Once app is running I then opted out of Leaderboard.

Recteq needs to get their self together on this app.

I’m really thinking hard about the Meaterblock setup and using the Smart Life App and deleting the Recteq app.

I have other grills that I rotisserie on and a wireless probe would be ideal and helpful on the Rectec when the app gets dumped.

Enjoy your weekend folks!

IMG_6429.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back