Rec Tec chicken question

Bull & Eggs

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
This is a 6 pound chicken cooked at 350. The internal temp is way more than 165 for the white meat. Way more than 185 for the dark. But the desired crispiness to the skin for me is not there. Is that the way it is on a pellet?

Attachments

• 20200415_220818.jpg
    20200415_220818.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 143
I guess I can ramp up the cooking temp to 450 for the last 20 minutes of the cook to try and crisp it up. I'll try that next time. Thanks for all of your input, Hahahahaha!

Yeah crispy chicken is a little tricky on the pellet smoker.
There's a few threads on it in here do a search and it should help ya out.... Also try Spatchcocking it once you'll like it. (Info so in here)
Goodluck !

This is a 6 pound chicken cooked at 350. The internal temp is way more than 165 for the white meat. Way more than 185 for the dark. But the desired crispiness to the skin for me is not there. Is that the way it is on a pellet?
The skin is the killer. Someone suggested spatchcock chicken. Definitely better. Once flat, you could use cast iron, skin side down in a really hot skillet. Then lower the temp and let finish cooking. Check this link from Cooks Illustrated, could use for a whole chicken-
Crispy-Skinned Chicken Breasts with Maple–Sherry Vinegar Pan Sauce

Spatchcocked, with a little EVOO before putting rub on helps some.

Crispy skin on a pellet has evaded me. I haven't gotten it right yet.

I’m wondering if a spatchcock chicken placed on the upside down sear grates would Improve the crispness of the chicken skin?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back