RHEINLEIN

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
  3. Patio Legend 410
  4. RT-300
Has anyone looked at this recipe (directions)?

Why such a short cook ?

76B0D82D-62E0-488F-A435-50409FC4DC23.png

The higher temps will definitely help blow past the stall quicker. I have had 13lb butts that stayed in the stall for almost 5 hours before they released. However, they were well worth the wait. If you are using smaller cuts and you trim them well, I’ve seen similar results for a high and fast cook.

If that is the one with Dijon mustard and molasses as the binder, I cooked a few times....and it is really good.

Looks good. I may give it a try. But, I will probably mix up my own copycat version of the rub. I find most store-bought rubs are a bit too salty for my taste.

Do you really think you would get much smoke flavor at 325 for only 4-6 hours? I just don’t get much smoke above 250. I’ll probably do 180 for the first couple of hours at least.

The binders keep smoke penetration low, no binders for me......
I have used yellow or Dijon mustard as a binder on many occasions and have never experienced any loss of smoke penetration. Never used molasses, so no experience with that.

Can you provide more detail and/or link to some additional information about binders inhibiting smoke penetration? Thanks.

If you do a web search on the topic you get opinions both ways, guess you need to figure out who you want to believe.

My two cents is too much of anything can affect smoke penetration. I've never had an issue with mustard, but I can say that I have applied (way) too much rub on occasion and could see and taste the difference.

I have used yellow or Dijon mustard as a binder on many occasions and have never experienced any loss of smoke penetration. Never used molasses, so no experience with that.

Can you provide more detail and/or link to some additional information about binders inhibiting smoke penetration? Thanks.

Try some of your favorites without and see, the smoke flavor mostly permeates the binder and the seasoning is all. Hey it's SCIENCE!!!!! :)

The recipe and video are completely different when it comes to the cook. Video only uses mustard and rub then on the smoker for 6 hours at 325. Recipe does not include that option. It makes a sauce, puts butt in pan with sauce and wraps and continues cook. Where is the video recipe? Of course you can just write it down watching the video, butt :))) still.

I have done hot and fast butts. They turn out nice but the fat really does not have time to render so, remove it before pulling. I do wrap it after a nice 2 hr. smoke bath at 180. So it take a bit longer. I did and 11 pounder in. Little over the 7 hr. mark.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back