RT-1250 Ready to Give Up on my RT-150

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
My previous pellet grill was a Traeger Eastwood 22”. I used it for three years. The Traeger was ok, but it never provided enough smoke for my liking. I ended up buying a Recteq RT-1250 last year. I initially loved the RT-1250. It provided the smoke I was looking for, but I quickly ran into problems with recipes that I used with my Traeger. Almost every single recipe took longer to cook on the RT-1250 than it did on my cheap little Traeger. I confirmed more than once during the past year, that the Recteq’s internal temp probe was working properly. I love baby back ribs, but I still struggle getting them up to temp. Briskets are a LONG nightmare. Today I attempted a cook that never took me longer than three hours on my Traeger. The same cook at the same temp took me over four hours. I have no idea why my cooks are taking so much longer, it just doesn’t make sense to this simple brain of mine. I am about to throw in the towel on Recteq. Any suggestions before I give up?

Have you verified your 1250 set temp with actual temp using an independent, calibrated thermometer? You may need to calibrate the actual vs set temp on your grill. I believe the procedure is in the manual and is also available on the RT website.

And, how sure are you of the temps you were getting on the Traeger? It may have been cooking hotter than you thought.

Either way, given equal cooking temps, you should be about the same with the RT as with the Traeger…unless…you are “peeking” more with the RT. Every time you open the lid, the heat drops a bunch and there is a significant recovery time.

Have you verified your 1250 set temp with actual temp using an independent, calibrated thermometer? You may need to calibrate the actual vs set temp on your grill. I believe the procedure is in the manual and is also available on the RT website.

And, how sure are you of the temps you were getting on the Traeger? It may have been cooking hotter than you thought.

Either way, given equal cooking temps, you should be about the same with the RT as with the Traeger…unless…you are “peeking” more with the RT. Every time you open the lid, the heat drops a bunch and there is a significant recovery time.
Yes, the actual temp has been verified several times with a different temp probe.

I understand your thought process regarding the Traeger, but here’s my real world experience. When I followed a recipe on my Traeger, it would cook at the specified temp and finish close to the time listed in the recipe. I admit that the Traeger temp probe was never calibrated, but my times were never an issue, so I didn’t see the need for it. My Recteq on the other hand is a different story.

I follow the “if you’re looking, you ain’t cooking” rule.

That was my thought too @Jim6820.
1. The Recteq is actually below the set temp.
2. The Traeger was actually above the set temp.
3. Maybe the heat deflector and drip pan were thinner in the Traeger allowing more direct radiant heat than the Recteq.
4. The Traeger may have had better airflow moving the hot air around the food more.

Could also be a combination of all 4 things. If you still have the Traeger I would do a quick run on it with the same third party probe and see what the actual temp is.

Yes, the actual temp has been verified several times with a different temp probe.

I understand your thought process regarding the Traeger, but here’s my real world experience. When I followed a recipe on my Traeger, it would cook at the specified temp and finish close to the time listed in the recipe. I admit that the Traeger temp probe was never calibrated, but my times were never an issue, so I didn’t see the need for it. My Recteq on the other hand is a different story.

I follow the “if you’re looking, you ain’t cooking” rule.
I can’t help but think that one of the grills is/was running at a different temperature. Heat is heat and I don’t think it matters which brand of grill/smoker it is in.

One additional thought regarding different temps; all grills fluctuate above and below the set point, but some more than others. It is the average temperature over the duration of the cook that really matters. Spot-checking grill temps might coincidently hit about the same temps but the overall average could be quite different. Just a thought.

I’m not sure comparing cook times by the grill brand is a useful approach. I’d be more inclined to compare against what others have experienced on the same type cooks. There’s a lot of cooking experience on this experience and maybe others can chime in with their experiences cooking baby backs or briskets that might help you figure things out. I really don’t think it is the 1250 per se.

Good luck.

There are many former Traeger owners on this forum, I too find it odd that your cook times have somehow increased with your 1250. Did you have a Traeger model that had a smart controller, or was more like the earlier model Pitboss that only went by how long the auger feeds and how often?

There are many former Traeger owners on this forum, I too find it odd that your cook times have somehow increased with your 1250. Did you have a Traeger model that had a smart controller, or was more like the earlier model Pitboss that only went by how long the auger feeds and how often?
My Traeger did not have a smart controller.

Just turn the heat up. Start with 50 degrees and see how that compares.
If still longer than the Traeger, go with 75.
There is only two variables, time and temp............

22" grill would get you more direct heat while it's coming up to temp. You now have a 33" and yes 350 is 350, but I'm thinking your food is less affected by the burn pot firing up to maintain temps. It's just a theory.

Just turn the heat up. Start with 50 degrees and see how that compares.
If still longer than the Traeger, go with 75.
There is only two variables, time and temp............
That’s what I’ve been doing. But allow me to pose this question. Let’s say you find a recipe that you want to try. If the directions tell you to cook at 200° for six hours, how would you know how high to increase the temp for that particular cook? it’s always a guessing game for me, and it’s wearing me down. I’m just trying to find out if this is normal, or if it’s just me.

I can see your point but cooking is more than just following a recipe, for me anyway.
You had your Traeger for 3 years and got used to it. I bet the first time and first recipe wasn't spot on.
Maybe give the RecTec more time and you will adjust!
I don't follow recipes much anymore but you the food is done when it's done.
A recipe is just a guideline. Relax, take a deep breath and have a smoke and a cold one.

There are so many variables in grilling/smoking that I have always found a “recipe” to be just a starting point. IME, grilling/smoking is getting a feel for your cooking appliance and the products you are cooking; then making adjustments to achieve good results. When I try something new, the ”recipe” is just a suggestion as far as time and temperature goes, and I have to use my experience to make adjustments.

Personally, I think you are relying way too much on “recipes.” The first time you try something, you need to watch things closely. The second time, you will have an inkling of how things will likely go and by the fourth or fifth time, you’ll have a pretty good handle on things.

Cooking—of any kind—is not an exact science! Rather, it is a collection of experiences that allows you to experiment with a reasonable chance of success. Keep on cookin’ and you’ll get the hang of things.

EDIT: @cutplug, you pushed the post button just before I did. “Great minds…” Well, you know. ;)

22" grill would get you more direct heat while it's coming up to temp. You now have a 33" and yes 350 is 350, but I'm thinking your food is less affected by the burn pot firing up to maintain temps. It's just a theory.
I think there is some truth to this, at least in my experience. I also think this becomes more apparent at higher temps. I take one probe of my external thermometer and place it on the grate next to what I’m cooking as a check.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back