Puppy Proofed RT-700

ws6jay

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just wanted to share a project I just wrapped up on my RT-700. We’ve had 2 puppies in the last 3 years eat the wiring harness from underneath the RT-700 and after this 2nd time I decided to figure out a way to stop this from happening again.

The first puppy just chewed the wires underneath the control box, easy fix and as we all know Recteq’s customer service is top notch and they just sent me a new harness for free. I installed metallic liquid tight flex conduit to stop that from happening again.

The 2nd puppy chewed every wire she could access. She chewed off the power cord and even got up underneath the grill and chewed out every visible wire for the light, auger, fan, igniter, etc. Once again, Recteq’s customer service is superb and they sent me every single component to rebuild my grill. A new harness, auger motor, light, igniter, and fan.

So to avoid this issue moving forward I got rid of the power cable and instead replaced it with a male weather proof plug on the back of the control box. I also had a buddy at a local fab shop CNC cut me a plate to cover the entire underside of the grill. I painted this with high temp black paint just for rust prevention mainly.

I have yet to run it yet, I do have some concerns about it holding too much heat and it not being able to regulate temp as well. If that happens I will have them cut bigger vents in the underside that are still narrow enough to where a puppy can’t access the wires.

See pictures attached, I also included a before picture showing the harness and all the wires she chewed through after I got done rebuilding it with the parts Recteq sent.

IMG_8717.jpeg

IMG_8718.jpeg

IMG_8685.jpeg

I’m a little more “country” than that. I would use a few strands of hotwire set at 5-7 amps and after their encounter they try again, I‘m gonna get a smarter dog. Haha.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a project I just wrapped up on my RT-700. We’ve had 2 puppies in the last 3 years eat the wiring harness from underneath the RT-700 and after this 2nd time I decided to figure out a way to stop this from happening again.

The first puppy just chewed the wires underneath the control box, easy fix and as we all know Recteq’s customer service is top notch and they just sent me a new harness for free. I installed metallic liquid tight flex conduit to stop that from happening again.

The 2nd puppy chewed every wire she could access. She chewed off the power cord and even got up underneath the grill and chewed out every visible wire for the light, auger, fan, igniter, etc. Once again, Recteq’s customer service is superb and they sent me every single component to rebuild my grill. A new harness, auger motor, light, igniter, and fan.

So to avoid this issue moving forward I got rid of the power cable and instead replaced it with a male weather proof plug on the back of the control box. I also had a buddy at a local fab shop CNC cut me a plate to cover the entire underside of the grill. I painted this with high temp black paint just for rust prevention mainly.

I have yet to run it yet, I do have some concerns about it holding too much heat and it not being able to regulate temp as well. If that happens I will have them cut bigger vents in the underside that are still narrow enough to where a puppy can’t access the wires.

See pictures attached, I also included a before picture showing the harness and all the wires she chewed through after I got done rebuilding it with the parts Recteq sent.

View attachment 20849

View attachment 20850

View attachment 20851
Nice mods to your RT-700.

I just gotta know what kind of dogs chew electrical wires? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ve only had a golden retriever. Great disposition. Never chewed the furniture, wires, or anything damaging. She did like to chew / gnaw on sticks from the trees. 🧐

Very nice modifications! I had a chewer of electric blanket cords. I put a cord plugged into a 24 VAC transformer with exposed male plug under the bed. It took the little Yorkie two bites to figure it out. He walked way around every electric cord in the house for years after that.

I once cured a puppy from chewing on cords by coating them with habanero hot sauce. He licked his lips for the better part of two days after his first—and, last—encounter. :rolleyes:
That's works great. A quick nick on the training collar works good also.

I’ve only had a golden retriever. Great disposition. Never chewed the furniture, wires, or anything damaging. She did like to chew / gnaw on sticks from the trees. 🧐
We got a 8 week old rescue that liked to chew the outside corners of baseboards. He also munched out on the back side of two rockers on a rocking chair. After that, nothing. We could leave our socks on the floor, didn't matter as long as he had his toys. A year later we got another rescue that was one year old when we got him, so they are the same age. This one came out of Mexico, Chihuahua and Mexican Street dog are the two primary genes that were found in our wisdom report. He never has done any damage to any of our stuff. But they both know their own toys. There are two toy baskets. And it's amusing because we can have all the toys in a toy basket and for days there will be a toy here or there. Then suddenly there will be 10 of them lying around.

17039525338725743664895898401768.jpg

Welcome to the Forum
Great job
Our Bull is outside and the "Kids" are all indoor Pets, so no need for all the "Armament" here
Noe if the Deer start gnawing on the Wiring ! ? !
I do like that Utility Plug Mod though ;)
Need to get that one going on ours

First offender was a 6 month old lab. Latest offender was an 8 month old Dalmatian

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back