Stampede Pulled pork today (8-1-22)

Maule Guy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Waited for the extreme heat (for Seattle) to calm down before I put 14 lbs of Costco boneless pork butts on the Rt-590

Dry brined the butts for 24 hrs. ( I was going to do 12 but stuff got in the way and had to do longer). Used Meathead's Memphis rub and smoked with Cookin' Pellets "Perfect Mix" for 12 hrs to 203F.

Swapped sides with the butts at 6.5 hrs. and they were within 2 F of each other at the end. RT-590 is always hotter on the right side.

No wrapping.

Just pulled and 'tis mighty tasty.

TD

Pulled pork on RT 590.jpg

Pulled pork 8-1-22.jpg

Forgot.

Smoking temp 230F indicated w/ a smoke tube that lasted about 2 hrs.

Very well done. Love the look of the bark. Did you have any problems with flare ups from the smoke tube (where the pellets ignited and started burning quicker)? How would you compare them to a bone in butt? I‘ve been tempted to buy Costco’s but I heard the bone makes a difference in the flavor.

Very well done. Love the look of the bark. Did you have any problems with flare ups from the smoke tube (where the pellets ignited and started burning quicker)? How would you compare them to a bone in butt? I‘ve been tempted to buy Costco’s but I heard the bone makes a difference in the flavor.
I had only done bone in butts before. The only difference in these and previous was there was less fat in the pork when pulled, but that probably was due to the meat being leaner. I couldn't tell any flavor differences but it was hard to judge since I didn't have any of the previous pulled pork to compare it with.

The only pain w/ the boneless butts is having to truss them up w/ butcher twine. If I try them again I am considering butterflying them to get more bark per lb.

I, knock on wood, have not had flare ups from the smoke tube or the grill. I have had no flare-up issues with Cookin' Pellets, but guess flare-ups are more of a grease/heat issue. I don't cook at higher temps so that could be the reason.

I had only done bone in butts before. The only difference in these and previous was there was less fat in the pork when pulled, but that probably was due to the meat being leaner. I couldn't tell any flavor differences but it was hard to judge since I didn't have any of the previous pulled pork to compare it with.

The only pain w/ the boneless butts is having to truss them up w/ butcher twine. If I try them again I am considering butterflying them to get more bark per lb.

I, knock on wood, have not had flare ups from the smoke tube or the grill. I have had no flare-up issues with Cookin' Pellets, but guess flare-ups are more of a grease/heat issue. I don't cook at higher temps so that could be the reason.
Thanks for the update. I often see the boneless at Costco and tried them a couple of times. My memory makes me think they were also a little leaner but I really don’t know. Great tip on the trussing, it probably helps keep them ”together” and also keeps the density more consistent during the cooking process. I truss the bone in’s also when they seem a little “loose”. Also, being from NC, I tend to like the fat as it also retains some of the smokey flavor I desire. I have heard many “experts” talk about the flavor that comes from a bone in protein but I am somewhat skeptical because I don’t think a 2 ounce bone in a 14lb butt would move the needle on pork butt. It’s like the tail wagging the dog. (Just my opinion.)

Thanks for the smoke tube info also. I found when using it on the smoker for a low and slow it is great. When using the gasser and putting it near a burner, they seem like they want to catch spontaneously so I use a smoker box with chips instead. To counter that, I put them over a burner that is not lit. I wish I could get rid of the chips but don’t quite trust pellets in that scenario.

Smokezilla said "Also, being from NC, I tend to like the fat...."

Yep raised in Georgia. Have no idea why I have an open artery.

“Aw, what the hell! Blood just been flying through my veins lately anyway.” Great line from an episode of Frazier. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back