Prime Day Struggles

SmokeOCD

So far I have avoided wireless bbq thermometers and espresso machines. How about you guys?

Last edited:
I didn’t succumb to the pressure yet. BUT, a couple of weeks ago (let’s call it Father’s Day) I did receive the Meater with 4 probes. I have used it on several cooks and really want to like it but the only thing it brings to the table (so far) is the ability to use it when cooking on the rotisserie. My other wired probes do an excellent job and one even has a better range but dog gone it, they are useless with spinning proteins. As a compromise for using them, I can report my unit’s ambient sensor (at the end of the probe) has been pretty accurate +/- 5 degrees F and the IT end is decent at measuring temps but has no idea how to calculate cook time. It also leaves a whole the size of a .22 round in the meat which is a little unsightly unless you want to put a straw in the hole and pretend you have a meat shake. The bad news is that it costs ~300 but I got mine on sale for $239 (plus tax) (20% off) which is the same price they have now for Amazon Days.

I didn’t succumb to the pressure yet. BUT, a couple of weeks ago (let’s call it Father’s Day) I did receive the Meater with 4 probes. I have used it on several cooks and really want to like it but the only thing it brings to the table (so far) is the ability to use it when cooking on the rotisserie. My other wired probes do an excellent job and one even has a better range but dog gone it, they are useless with spinning proteins. As a compromise for using them, I can report my unit’s ambient sensor (at the end of the probe) has been pretty accurate +/- 5 degrees F and the IT end is decent at measuring temps but has no idea how to calculate cook time. It also leaves a whole the size of a .22 round in the meat which is a little unsightly unless you want to put a straw in the hole and pretend you have a meat shake. The bad news is that it costs ~300 but I got mine on sale for $239 (plus tax) (20% off) which is the same price they have now for Amazon Days.
Yep, I caved too. Been wanting the Meater Block for quite some time but not for $300. Saw them on Amazon for 239 and dove. We shall see.

Yep, I caved too. Been wanting the Meater Block for quite some time but not for $300. Saw them on Amazon for 239 and dove. We shall see.
I am hopeful it lives up to expectations. One thing to remember is that the adhesive on the tip of the ambient probes (the part with the numbers on it) will fall off/apart if it is exposed to excessive heat. I have a friend that learned that lesson the hard way. Never, ever, let it hang over the back edge of the drip pan near the fire pot or leave it in during a high temperature sear. Good luck.

Let us know how well it works, I had never heard of it until I saw this thread! Looks like a great concept!

Let us know how well it works, I had never heard of it until I saw this thread! Looks like a great concept!
I used twice this weekend and really like it. Probably the biggest downside is you can't use the probes over direct flame/coals. That's ok on the smoker, but kind of a pain using it with the Kamado.

I bought the Single (Meater "Plus" ?) a few months ago. Works fine. Not real thrilled that the base station doesn't have USB charging capability. It uses a single AA or AAA battery (Can't remember which). So, at some point, the battery will only provide a partial charge to the probe and you won't know it until the probe craps out mid cook.

I have 2 and have had the issue where the end did come loose on one of them. It wasn't a huge fire that caused it but I do like it. I agree with the temp accuracy but the cook times can be way off especially with a brisket and breaking the plateau. I adjusted around it and now ignore it and cook by temp only.

I bought the Single (Meater "Plus" ?) a few months ago. Works fine. Not real thrilled that the base station doesn't have USB charging capability. It uses a single AA or AAA battery (Can't remember which). So, at some point, the battery will only provide a partial charge to the probe and you won't know it until the probe craps out mid cook.
It’s a AAA battery. You can check the AAA battery level by clicking the black button on the font. If the light is green, battery level is good. You can check the probe’s battery level in the app. Click on the ellipse at the top right, and the battery meter appears at the top of the menu.
2CB74C7F-7CC8-4AD1-B6F3-68975F63A1BF.jpeg

Am I the only one apprehensive about sticking a battery into my food and cooking it for 6-10-12 hours?
They're kinda cool but there's a part of me worried about cooking the battery - and it basting my bbq in a alkaline/lithium copper top tasting mess.

Am I the only one apprehensive about sticking a battery into my food and cooking it for 6-10-12 hours?
They're kinda cool but there's a part of me worried about cooking the battery - and it basting my bbq in a alkaline/lithium copper top tasting mess.
SPOG,ALC ? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back