Prime Day Deal

Just a bit of clarification. The MEATER 4 Block connects to WIFI, bluetooth (the block is the repeater) or you can use it in stand-alone mode. I can take my phone anywhere an monitor my cooks from their App. My experience with the unit is that my grills have thicker metal (Lynx Professional, RT700, Cast Iron smoker, and others) so the signal will randomly drop out for no reason especially during the rotisserie cooks when the protein rotates to the back side of the grill’s chamber. I have tested it with line of sight and no interference and it has stayed connected for over 9 hours. I have also worked with several of their technicians using different firmware loads and it is still not trustworthy. If I use the Weber Kettle, which is very thin metal, it works very well but I haven’t tested it for a prolonged cook yet. I hope their next version will have a boosted antenna signal that can work better in my scenario. YMMV.

The MEATER+ (single probe) can also connect to WiFi if you have a smart phone or tablet close to the probe. In this situation the smart device works as the repeater. If you then set up a MEATER Cloud account, you have internet access to the probe’s data, stores cook history, etc. I did this often with an old iPad when I was using the MEATER more than I do now.

If you're looking at the meater, consider the thermopro twin, its normally $179 but on sale for $95 off. Two wireless spikes for $85
https://buythermopro.com/twin-tempspike/
https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-ThermoPro-TP962-Meat-Thermometer/dp/B0BMLDL5GM?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I have the inkbird system and have had to replace the probes 3 times because they don't take heat well plus the wires are a PITA to deal with, that's truly a crap system.
I do like the Combustion 2 Predictive Thermometers & Display set but I can't justify $350

I do like the Combustion 2 Predictive Thermometers & Display set but I can't justify $350
Yeah, that was a little hard to swallow at first, but I’ve come to the point where I feel it was money well spent. The CI units are very high quality and the customer service is extraordinary.

The predictive capability is pretty amazing as well. In the few cooks I have used my CI probes thus far, the predictions literally came within seconds. And, it is really handy to be able to adjust grill temps to bring the cook in at the time you need it to be.

On one of my cooks, the prediction was about an hour later than I wanted, so I bumped the temp up 50F and the prediction adjusted accordingly within a few minutes, bringing me to where I wanted to be. Of course, it helps to have 60 years cooking experience to know how much of a temp bump you might need in order to bring things in on schedule. :rolleyes:

I have the Meater 4 probe block, and I would love to be able to return it. Unfortunately, I have screwed around with it for too long. The probe batteries suck. The probes constantly lose signal. The USB charging only charges the block, so it eats AA batteries. Signal strength is terrible. I've never cooked with more than 2 probes working at a time, The marginal value is just enough to keep me from throwing it in the trash.

The MEATER+ hardware has been upgraded to version 2 and it looks like some really nice improvements, narrowing the gap between it and the Combustion CPT unit. Battery life has seriously improved to the point of, if reality matches the claims, it is much better that the CPT. YouTube videos on the MEATER channel for those in the market for a new wireless thermometer. Price is $120.

Last edited:
The MEATER+ hardware has been upgraded to version 2 and it looks like some really nice improvements, narrowing the gap between it and the Combustion CPT unit. Battery life has seriously improved to the point of, if reality matches the claims, it is much better that the CPT. YouTube videos on the MEATER channel for those in the market for a new wireless thermometer. Price is $120.
I saw that this morning it figures after I just bought the other. I’ll be honest with you, though. I’ve had good results with mine so far on the five or six cooks that I have used it for.

I saw that this morning it figures after I just bought the other. I’ll be honest with you, though. I’ve had good results with mine so far on the five or six cooks that I have used it for.
I’ve been happy with most things about my MEATER+, (owned one, I believe, for 2-3 years now) but the temp range, only 2 sensors (with the ambient sensor glued on to the end of the stick), and the pencil-sized hole in the meat were big negatives for me. I might have to spring for one of these.

Since I had used the Meater app on a borrowed unit, I got the e-mail regarding the new and improved Version 2.

About the only real improvement I noted was the higher (932F) ambient temp tolerance. The added sensors appear to be grouped close together near the tip and wouldn’t seem to give the same type of broad coverage as the CI. The 1mm smaller probe diameter (5mm vs the older 6mm) is an improvement and brings the Meater closer to the 4.8mm spec on the CI, but it is still larger.

I’m still very happy with my CI Predictive Thermometer units, though the higher ambient temperature tolerance would have been useful on a recent cook when the Trailblazer unexpectedly spiked to 550F. That prompted an immediate warning on the CI app and I was able to resolve the problem with no apparent damage to the probes. Maybe CI will come up with a similar upgrade soon.

I've been happy with my Meater Block. The only negative for me is the ambient temp limit. 932F would be nice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back