Bull Previously burnt

I went back and forth between the RecTeq and a Yoder. After contacting a local Yoder dealer only to have him laugh when I asked if they ever went on sale, and then doing the math, the RT-700 came out on top. Then I found out RecTeq has a Military/Veteran discount on their accessories. My absolute favorite moment came after the order when the Customer Service rep said "Welcome to the family, brother."

No smoker is going to be perfect but the build quality and the customer service (along with the price) are what sets RecTeq above the competition. The wifi is a bit of bitch to set up. You'll need to have a 2.4ghz wifi channel. It's best to have it set up in advance and on it's own (I took our guest network and made it 2.4ghz only).

If you are an obsessive I would buy a Thermoworks Signals or Smoke to monitor your grill temps (other people seem to really like inkbird.

The stability of the grill was my chief complaint along with getting to those low and slow temps. Thanks for your feedback
I went back and forth between the RecTeq and a Yoder. After contacting a local Yoder dealer only to have him laugh when I asked if they ever went on sale, and then doing the math, the RT-700 came out on top. Then I found out RecTeq has a Military/Veteran discount on their accessories. My absolute favorite moment came after the order when the Customer Service rep said "Welcome to the family, brother."

No smoker is going to be perfect but the build quality and the customer service (along with the price) are what sets RecTeq above the competition. The wifi is a bit of bitch to set up. You'll need to have a 2.4ghz wifi channel. It's best to have it set up in advance and on it's own (I took our guest network and made it 2.4ghz only).

If you are an obsessive I would buy a Thermoworks Signals or Smoke to monitor your grill temps (other people seem to really like inkbird.
The WiFi will whip my rear as that’s way above my knuckle dragging capability but Dr. Google knows all. I am the obsessive type and have been looking at thermometers so I will check both of those out.
The fact Yoder laughed would have made me walk also, it’s insight to how the company feels about its customers. Appreciate your response.

I feel like an old timer! I have a 680 now for 8 years. In 8 years we have replaced the igniter and RTD due to failure. There have been a few other replacements but that was my choice. This thing sits outside in the weather 24/7. We're in Ohio so we see everything. In every situation when we needed parts customer service came through! Years ago Ray even called me on a holiday weekend Sunday morning because I had a problem. Needless to say I was taken aback. I have experienced no other customer service from anywhere similar.
Unfortunately a few years ago we needed a small unit to go in the 5th wheel. We ended up with a Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett. It's okay but not a Recteq.
I find temp are solid but you have to measure every once in a while with a known accurate temperature probe just to verify RTD accuracy. I'm in the temp control business so this is not an issue for me but I realize not everyone going to have the instruments to do this. In the reading I have done steady temps are more important than exactly what the temperature is. Always use a temp probe in the cook. When I do that usually it comes out great unless I'm experimenting!

My only negative would be the cart underneath. I'm either going to rebuild my 680 with a competition cart or go all in on a new 700. I'm drinking the koolaid!
Most of all have fun!

Welcome to the RecTeq(c) community Srminosky
We came to the RT700 from an Off-set Stick Burner
So YES, you don't get that full "Smoke Flavor" with the Pellets Grill, as you do with real wood smoke
So to that end, we've chosen to add a Smoke Tube, when we want that extra flavor

As for the "Tight Cover"; watch the Utube Video from RT:
I recommend putting the cover on, by reversing the removal process .... works even better then what they show for putting it on

Oh yeah .... yes, the WiFi sucks, but that could be (and most likely is) on our end !
But RT could possibly provide an optional Antenna upgrade (hint hint)

I feel like an old timer! I have a 680 now for 8 years. In 8 years we have replaced the igniter and RTD due to failure. There have been a few other replacements but that was my choice. This thing sits outside in the weather 24/7. We're in Ohio so we see everything. In every situation when we needed parts customer service came through! Years ago Ray even called me on a holiday weekend Sunday morning because I had a problem. Needless to say I was taken aback. I have experienced no other customer service from anywhere similar.
Unfortunately a few years ago we needed a small unit to go in the 5th wheel. We ended up with a Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett. It's okay but not a Recteq.
I find temp are solid but you have to measure every once in a while with a known accurate temperature probe just to verify RTD accuracy. I'm in the temp control business so this is not an issue for me but I realize not everyone going to have the instruments to do this. In the reading I have done steady temps are more important than exactly what the temperature is. Always use a temp probe in the cook. When I do that usually it comes out great unless I'm experimenting!

My only negative would be the cart underneath. I'm either going to rebuild my 680 with a competition cart or go all in on a new 700. I'm drinking the koolaid!
Most of all have fun!
Reading this comment to the longevity of your use carries a lot more weight than I can explain. Thank you much for your input!

Welcome to the RecTeq(c) community Srminosky
We came to the RT700 from an Off-set Stick Burner
So YES, you don't get that full "Smoke Flavor" with the Pellets Grill, as you do with real wood smoke
So to that end, we've chosen to add a Smoke Tube, when we want that extra flavor

As for the "Tight Cover"; watch the Utube Video from RT:
I recommend putting the cover on, by reversing the removal process .... works even better then what they show for putting it on

Oh yeah .... yes, the WiFi sucks, but that could be (and most likely is) on our end !
But RT could possibly provide an optional Antenna upgrade (hint hint)
The good thing is the family isn’t wanting to heavy of a smoke taste and we do have the smoke tube. Got my inkbird set up on our WiFi and will try to figure out the grill. but the WIFi isn’t a deal breaker just a nice to have. Thanks for the video and I saved as a favorite so when I order mine Monday I’ll be able to go back to it.

I just wanted to thank each and everyone of you all for your opinions, input, trials and errors. I pulled the trigger on the bull this morning and I’ll tell you my small interactions with customer service I think my wounds may have healed.

Thanks to each and all of you again!

Everyone has covered everything. I'm just going to add that even with complaints it's hard to find one with better build quality and warranty. 6years on the Bull. Also with complaints there's alot of human error and human nature involved.
If RecTeq were perfect, everyone would ownn one.
I believe there's a FAR greater satisfaction than dissatisfaction with these smokers. People have a tendency to post a complaint over a praise... Nothing like
Hey, "I just stopped in to say my cook was uneventful today and we had a nice dinner"....".Thoughts ?" "Anyone experience these same issues"??...
Hahaha..good luck !!

Last edited:
Everyone has covered everything. I'm just going to add that even with complaints it's hard to find one with better build quality and warranty. 6years on the Bull. Also with complaints there's alot of human error and human nature involved.
I believe there's a FAR greater satisfaction than dissatisfaction with these smokers. People have a tendency to post a complaint over a praise...
Hey, "I just stopped in to say my cook was uneventful today and we had a nice dinner"....".Thoughts ?" "Anyone experience these same issues"??...
Hahaha..good luck !!

So true after my first uneventful cook I may just post this very comment!

Congrats!! You will be very happy rest assured. Do keep us posted of that 1st uneventful cook :).

I believe there's a FAR greater satisfaction than dissatisfaction with these smokers. People have a tendency to post a complaint over a praise... Nothing like
Hahaha..good luck !!
Good news travels fast, bad news travel faster......

Well I don't think I can add much more than what others already said so I'm going to keep this one short.

I fell into the big brand trap years ago started at Costco with Traeger and thought I got a lemon. Did it a 2nd time at Cabelas and I think it was worse.

I was very hesitant to go with the 700 but my own research I recommended it to my neighbor and he fell in love.

So I took the leap finally after being burned 2X and this is what a marriage with a pellet grill was supposed to be.

Is it perfect? No.. But it is pretty damn close and going elsewhere is just again playing games. I'm done with that.

Now I just look like a Pro to the wife yet it is the Bull doing all the hard work. I just put it on and take it off.

Good luck with your decision whatever you do and enjoy. You only live once is what I'll leave this at.
I call my Bull the “easy bake oven”

To be fair does The Bull ever go on sale, I didn’t think so?
As someone who owns both a Yoder and a Rec Teq, I think they are both great grills and my experience is that customer service is relatively equal with both. (At least so far) Yoder is made in the USA which was my primary reason for purchasing.

I would agree with your comments about the Thermoworks, to me it’s well worth the investment. I have also begun using it while resting the meat as well so I can monitor carryover cooking and how quickly the temps drop...

Lastly and most importantly, Thank You for your service!

To be fair does The Bull ever go on sale, I didn’t think so?
As someone who owns both a Yoder and a Rec Teq, I think they are both great grills and my experience is that customer service is relatively equal with both. (At least so far) Yoder is made in the USA which was my primary reason for purchasing.

I would agree with your comments about the Thermoworks, to me it’s well worth the investment. I have also begun using it while resting the meat as well so I can monitor carryover cooking and how quickly the temps drop...

Lastly and most importantly, Thank You for your service!
Good point! When I bought mine, they had a deal where I got the comp cart for 50% off, so in my mind, that was a sale. It was really hard to not get the Yoder - I actually was losing sleep over it and driving my wife nuts. In the end, the price of the RecTeq was just too hard to pass up.

So which one do you like better? The Yoder or the RecTeq? Do you do competitions?

Good point! When I bought mine, they had a deal where I got the comp cart for 50% off, so in my mind, that was a sale. It was really hard to not get the Yoder - I actually was losing sleep over it and driving my wife nuts. In the end, the price of the RecTeq was just too hard to pass up.

So which one do you like better? The Yoder or the RecTeq? Do you do competitions?
Honestly they are both great. That said I find myself using the Yoder much more frequently for long smokes and the The Rec Teq for quicker things because it heats up much faster so it’s more convenient for a quick cook. Rec Teq hopper capacity is unparalleled, that might be my favorite part...can’t beat the stainless steel either, the Yoder will rust to some degree no matter what you do. Another positive of the Rec Teq is it comes pretty dialed in from the factory, the Yoder I had to play with a bit to get the temperature even, but that is supposed to be a selling feature “the ability to create multiple zones, w different temps” I don’t use it for that, I have it set for one temp across the whole smoker.

I feel like the Yoder produces a bit more smoke which is why I gravitate to it on the long cooks. It has a huge top shelf which can easily fit a 20 lb brisket and more. It’s definitely smokier up top, so the head room is nice. It’s a bit wider so more Ribs can fit, etc.
The built in FireBoard app is light years better on Yoder, much easier to track cooks and even has a cruise control to replicate past cooks exactly. A bonus is the probe male ends are the same on the Yoder as the Thermoworks Smoke so I can interchange probes as needed.

All in all tho, I would have been just as happy with either machine. The only reason I purchased both was really on a whim at the start of COVID and I wanted to support and American Company. I certainly don’t need both, the only competitions I do is between my buddies...

All of the above said, I can say at the risk of sounding cheesy that the Rec Teq forum is soooooo much more welcoming and helpful than Yoder’s.. There are a ton of know it all, smart a$$ jerks on the Yoder forum who are less than helpful to those who are not seasoned vets. I have voiced my displeasure about that over there on multiple occasions. This forum is so much more helpful and I’ve learned a ton. People here treat others with much more respect, which is how it should be. Everyone had to start somewhere.

Honestly they are both great. That said I find myself using the Yoder much more frequently for long smokes and the The Rec Teq for quicker things because it heats up much faster so it’s more convenient for a quick cook. Rec Teq hopper capacity is unparalleled, that might be my favorite part...can’t beat the stainless steel either, the Yoder will rust to some degree no matter what you do. Another positive of the Rec Teq is it comes pretty dialed in from the factory, the Yoder I had to play with a bit to get the temperature even, but that is supposed to be a selling feature “the ability to create multiple zones, w different temps” I don’t use it for that, I have it set for one temp across the whole smoker.

I feel like the Yoder produces a bit more smoke which is why I gravitate to it on the long cooks. It has a huge top shelf which can easily fit a 20 lb brisket and more. It’s definitely smokier up top, so the head room is nice. It’s a bit wider so more Ribs can fit, etc.
The built in FireBoard app is light years better on Yoder, much easier to track cooks and even has a cruise control to replicate past cooks exactly. A bonus is the probe male ends are the same on the Yoder as the Thermoworks Smoke so I can interchange probes as needed.

All in all tho, I would have been just as happy with either machine. The only reason I purchased both was really on a whim at the start of COVID and I wanted to support and American Company. I certainly don’t need both, the only competitions I do is between my buddies...

All of the above said, I can say at the risk of sounding cheesy that the Rec Teq forum is soooooo much more welcoming and helpful than Yoder’s.. There are a ton of know it all, smart a$$ jerks on the Yoder forum who are less than helpful to those who are not seasoned vets. I have voiced my displeasure about that over there on multiple occasions. This forum is so much more helpful and I’ve learned a ton. People here treat others with much more respect, which is how it should be. Everyone had to start somewhere.

For me.. I'll be starting somewhere every day ;) .. The day I wake up and know it all is the day I am at the end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back