Phone app

Ok, new RecTeq 1250 pilot here, so not much experience with the app. Aside from the temp control slider being way too sensitive, what are people not liking?

Ok, new RecTeq 1250 pilot here, so not much experience with the app. Aside from the temp control slider being way too sensitive, what are people not liking?
I second that! 700 here. What’s the problems?

The temp control sucks with my big fingers liked the old + and - control method and had to recalibrate grill it was off by 25+ degrees when the new updated app came online

First smoke today and I noticed that setting the probes sent me notifications about every second when I was trying to adjust the slider to exactly what I wanted. Super difficult.

Try turning your phone to horizontal - slows the slider down a little bit. Better yet, if you have an iPad, download the app and try it on that horizontally.

Please make the app more friendly and accurate.

I just ordered the Meater probes so I could get an accurate reading. I love my Bull, but I did not appreciate having to spend $300 for probes that are accurate. They old ones used to be, but aren't doing the job now.

The new app is impossible to use for setting the probes (mine always jumps back to 180, no mater what I set it to) and they also seem to be way off. I had a in internal temperature reading off between the RT and my wireless probes by around 5-7 degrees. At the same time, the probes (RT & Wireless) in the meat showed a 20+ degree difference. I tested and reset a few times with little to no difference.

BTW - I already replaced the original probes as I thought they might have been damaged. New probes showing the same results as the old. Wasn't the probes.

I used to like the old graphs also. The new graph is useless. I could predict how to cook stuff because scales were easy to see the actual temp. I do like being able to monitor from the couch though.

I just ordered the Meater probes so I could get an accurate reading. I love my Bull, but I did not appreciate having to spend $300 for probes that are accurate. They old ones used to be, but aren't doing the job now.

The new app is impossible to use for setting the probes (mine always jumps back to 180, no mater what I set it to) and they also seem to be way off. I had a in internal temperature reading off between the RT and my wireless probes by around 5-7 degrees. At the same time, the probes (RT & Wireless) in the meat showed a 20+ degree difference. I tested and reset a few times with little to no difference.

BTW - I already replaced the original probes as I thought they might have been damaged. New probes showing the same results as the old. Wasn't the probes.
I hope you understand this is a user forum with no affiliation, etc. with Rec Teq. It's best to email them or call them with your issues as they likely will not see it here.

Right idea, wrong place.

The sensitive sliders, graphs that don't update real-time and only being able to zoom the time axis are annoyances.

The app needing an external wi-fi connection back to big-brother rec-teq is the biggest issue. Causes the app to be absolutely unusable on busy days (i.e. holidays) when the server is overloaded. Personally, I purchased a RT-340 so I could travel with it. When camping, we almost never have a wi-fi network available, so the app is useless. I can set up a mobile hotspot for the grill to connect to, but the app cannot be connected to the same. Rec-teq tech support's "solution" is to use TWO phones: set up a mobile hotspot on one, then connect both the RT-340 and the phone running the app to that hotspot. Not only is that a PITA, but we also frequently have no/low/unreliable cell phone signals when camping as well.

It would be nice if the app had a "local" mode that didn't have to connect back to the server to work.

When it works, it's awesome. Temperatures are reliable and precise, I can monitor for the stall without running out to the grill every 30 minutes. Post-cook, I take screenshots of my temp graphs and keep them on the computer with my detailed cook notes. Just wish I could use it all the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back