Bull Phone App - Notifications Questions

BugEater Keven

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have searched the forum and it seems people are aware the app notifications on the phone are either not working, or only work intermittently (is this correct?) Personally, I have been setting the app to notify me (iphone) when the probe temps are reached - but have not received any kind of notification. I am pretty computer savvy but still wonder if I am doing something incorrectly. If the app isn't working properly for notifications - has there been any information from Recteq on when this might be fixed?

I can only assume this will be fixed at some point, but brought up a question or two. So assuming the app were working...

1 - Can you close the app and will you still get notified, or do you need to leave the app open?
2 - What settings are required on the phone to allow notifications? (on an iphone, you need to enable notifications in settings I am pretty sure), but still wondering if I missed something and that might be why it is not working for me.

As always, thanks for the help.

NEVER rely on the probe notifications. At the grill you can safely assume the readout is OK, but there is a lag on notifications that could take you from medium to well (and beyond) pretty easily. I also had my first app freeze last weekend where the app said I was in the low 300s and it was actually 400+. I was on a ramp up, so 400 is what I wanted but the app had to be closed and restarted.
Never rely on any notifications over the weekend. May work, may not.

Don’t know if it fits your scenario but if you specify your device type and OS/iOS version, it may be helpful. Yes, the app should be running and in iOS you can allow it to remain active when running in the background. Can you let us know if you have a dual band or single band Bull. I’ve heard a single band RT connecting to a dual band router with only one network name for both bands can be problematic. Also, if you are running a VPN or configured your access point or repeater on a subnet or closed your inbound/outbound port addresses, that may cause issues. Since you are computer savy, trying pinging your RT’s IP address and see if it responds. If that doesn’t work, try running a trace route to see where the traffic stops. Other than that I would check to make sure your signal is strong (router to RT and back to router) and it should be working. Especially during these non-busy times. When the holidays hit you may find out their servers are overwhelmed and notifications can get sketchy at times.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks - Everything works fine with the app, the only exception is the notifications.
  1. Iphone - Version is 7.0 , Software version is 15.6.1
  2. I have a dual band Bull
  3. I do indeed have a dual band wireless in my home, with the same name except one is 5ghz and has "-5G" as a suffix.
  4. I am running a VPN on my phone, but it isn't turned on during cooks.
  5. The Signal is strong I have a beefed up router for the extra range.
  6. I haven't yet attempted to ping the Bull, but I assume its fine since all other app functionality works ok.
I appreciate the feedback

Thanks - Everything works fine with the app, the only exception is the notifications.
  1. Iphone - Version is 7.0 , Software version is 15.6.1
  2. I have a dual band Bull
  3. I do indeed have a dual band wireless in my home, with the same name except one is 5ghz and has "-5G" as a suffix.
  4. I am running a VPN on my phone, but it isn't turned on during cooks.
  5. The Signal is strong I have a beefed up router for the extra range.
  6. I haven't yet attempted to ping the Bull, but I assume its fine since all other app functionality works ok.
I appreciate the feedback
I have heard of notification problems during peak hours. It was posted that logging out of your account and back in may work but I wouldn’t test that theory if you are in the middle of a long cook as you could compromise/lose your data depending on which version of the app you have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back