Bull One year Bull Anniversary!

Grilltreats

I am really, really enjoying the RT-700, even after a year of having it now. I have learned a lot in a years time on how to cook on a pellet grill. When I got it, I was coming from cooking on a Kamado Joe charcoal grill for a number of years. I'll admit it was a hard switch at first. I was so use to adding wood chunks to every cook and tasting that bitter white smoke flavor.

I started out using a smoke tube, adding a mix of RT pellets and wood chips to it to try and replicate that bitter white smoke flavor I was so use to. I came extremely close to adding a Smoke Daddy to it, but decided to hold off for awhile and give the RT a chance. I am very happy I held off doing that.

These days I have settled down and I only use premium pellets like RT and primarily Lumberjack 100% varieties as they give a heavier smoke flavor that I like. I haven't used the smoke tube since the first month of using the Bull. I have learned to smoke my meats first and then increase the pit temp to cook the faster cooks like whole chickens and such. Briskets and butts are always cooked at the lower smoke settings. I never cooked those two meat before with only having the KJ. The Bull makes cooking these stupid simple now with a heavy smoke ring and lots of smoke flavor, too.

With the Bull, I can now tastes my rubs and spices along with a non-bitter and delicious smoke flavor. I have become a real connoisseur of flavors now. Loose the bitter smoke and you'll see what I mean.

I am also now the proud owner of a Bullseye, which compliments my Bull nicely, and actually cook my whole chicken on that along with steaks, burgers, pizzas and chops, or anything needing a faster cook. However, my last whole chicken cook was on the Bull as I wanted to cook two at a time. It's nice having options. I couldn't tell you when I last used my KJ charcoal grill. I know I haven't used it any this year. I may fire it up for old time sakes one day.

To wrap this up, The Bull has been flawless. I have not had one issue with it, except maybe some smoldering afterwards after some hot cooks when I just wanted to cover the Bull and go relax. I figured out on that, that I could just unplug the grill the very second the 300 second fan timer ended during the shutdown cycle. This prevents the auger from loading pellets into the still hot fire pot. I think RT designed it this way for a faster startup on the next cook, but I find it lights up just fine without the added pellets at the end of the shutdown cycle.

My Bull sits out on my exposed deck and gets full sun, rain, snow, whatever. After one year, there is still not one rust spot anywhere that I can find. I did make a foil overhang to block the direct sun from hitting the controller's LCD panel. I don't want to take any chances there.

All-in-all a very happy customer of the Bull. I set the alarms on my phone for a 10° pit variance when cooking overnight, and am able to sleep all night knowing the alarms will wake me if something horrific takes place. Has never happened and have many, many overnight cooks under my belt now thanks to Rec Tec.

Terrific write up and love your enthusiasm. Your commentary on smoke profile is particularly interesting/good to hear. I think the smoke profile is fine, though we frequently hear that pellet grills don't do smoke well. I sometimes wonder if it isn't a fad thing like a few years back with hot sauces or more recently IBU in beer. There always seem to be the competitive thing about "I can take more heat/bitterness than you, neener neener." I have used the same tactic as you if I wanted just a tad more smoke flavor for a particular dish, start low for more smoke on the meat, then ramp up to normal cook temp.

Thanks Uncle Bob! I see I made a few spelling errors (Can never catch them until after a post, lol), but I'll leave them so folks know I'm human.

Yes, the Bull will smoke meats very well. I just had to go through the learning curve and use good 100% variety style pellets to get the ultimate smoke flavors without the bitterness. I really like doing chuck roast using 100% mesquite woods. Man oh man do they turn out well. I call them the poor man's brisket. My wife really likes them too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back