Bullseye One grill - which one to pick?

zag300zx

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
So my RT-300 finally died, controller issue, and the rust in the barrel is bad. Very happy to hear they went with all stainless barrel construction, my main gripe with almost all grills out there. My other issues with the 300 is the slow startup (~20 min.).

Got close to pulling the trigger on the 590, but man that's a steep price tag. Got to thinking, maybe the 380 would work well enough for me? I only do 2 racks of ribs at 225 2-3 times a year, and the rest is burgers, chicken, steaks, where I cook primarily at 400-425.

Would the 380 fit the bill?
How difficult is it to clean compared to the 340 or 300?
Will steaks and ribs get the same smoky flavor as the 300 did? Not overpowering, but just enough to add that amazing flavor.
Does it heat up quicker than the other pellet grills?
Can I do two racks of ribs on the 380?

If your main cook is chicken burgers and steaks, the 380 is great. Never did ribs so I cannot comment. I think my 340 heats up faster than the 380 but I would say its in line with your 300.

Sounds like Bullseye would be perfect for that type of cooking if most is at 400-425. That is what it excels at.

I have the 700 but still miss my old faithful 340. Should’ve never sold it. If you liked your 300 you’ll love the 340.

Are you dead set on Recteq?
Not necessarily. They do have a great temperature control algorithm, and told myself I would never buy a steel grill again, tired of rust and flaking paint.
I have the 700 but still miss my old faithful 340. Should’ve never sold it. If you liked your 300 you’ll love the 340.
The 300 has been great for me, in reality. Its a bit on the small size for hosting people, and the 340 is the same barrel dimensions. Just not sure the Bullseye would be the best approach over the 340 or 590.

I would go with the 380 though the controller on the 380 is NOT as responsive as the 340(which is the same controller as the 700). So that is a factor. Think of the 380 like a Weber kettle - basically same size.

The 340 is a better grill but again, if you do most of your cooking at grilling temps, I again would go with the Bullseye. You can get that flame kiss on the Bullseye with burgers and chicken and such. I love my Bullseye and use it a lot! I have done and fit(very tight) 3 spare ribs on my Bullseye. You will need to get a drip pan though while smoking something. I recommend this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WP6STF5/ref=twister_B07WV6FP4Y?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

So my RT-300 finally died, controller issue, and the rust in the barrel is bad. Very happy to hear they went with all stainless barrel construction, my main gripe with almost all grills out there. My other issues with the 300 is the slow startup (~20 min.).

Got close to pulling the trigger on the 590, but man that's a steep price tag. Got to thinking, maybe the 380 would work well enough for me? I only do 2 racks of ribs at 225 2-3 times a year, and the rest is burgers, chicken, steaks, where I cook primarily at 400-425.

Would the 380 fit the bill?
How difficult is it to clean compared to the 340 or 300?
Will steaks and ribs get the same smoky flavor as the 300 did? Not overpowering, but just enough to add that amazing flavor.
Does it heat up quicker than the other pellet grills?
Can I do two racks of ribs on the 380?
Best all around for small family and reliability is 590 IMHO. With the GrillGrates. Not too big but will handle just about anything. Mine is going on 3 years without a hitch. Stable temps and easy Wi-Fi is hard to beat.

If I had to go back and do it all over again, I would have bought the Weber SmokeFire. For the money, I think it might be a better buy than a RT unit.

I have a 380 and a 590. The 380 is great for hot fast cooks, but not as stable as the 590 by any means.
If you can swing it I would get a 590 or the 340 and as mentioned above Grillgrates are a must. I have a friend that bought a 340 and he loves it. Same rock solid results as my 590. I would have no problem with a 340 if I had to replace my 590.
Mine is super stable and would be more versatile than just the 380, IMHO. It may be a few more bucks, but I think you will be happy in the long run. Nothing more frustrating than buying something and it not living up to expectations or not using it much.

Awesome. I have the 590 on order, hopefully it arrives this week. It seemed to be the best all around option, and I can use my grill grates from the 300 without much issue. Should satisfy my needs, and super stoked about the stainless internals, so sick of my grills rusting out in the PNW weather.

The SmokeFire has some unique features. Reviews are a mixed bag but that could just be people dont know hot to use the thing.
That's certainly a possibility.

The thing that turned me off about the smokefires (other than the mixed bag reviews) was the fact that if you're mid cook and there is some sort of update, it automatically begins the update and locks you out of your controls.

The guy that owns TheBBQHQ has a video out with Jeremy Yoder where he says he can use whichever pellet smoker he wants and primarily uses the SmokeFire so it must be decent.

While there are many things that are appealing to me about the SmokeFire I can’t get past the grease and ash going into the same place and mixing, then needing to pass through small slits in the bottom. It’s no wonder they have grease fires.

I kinda like the Grilla Grills. I still may get one :unsure:
I have been doing some research on the Grilla Silverbac AT and really like what I see. The “all-terrain” wheel setup would be a big improvement over what RT offers (unless you buy the competition cart). It also has a pellet clean-out feature which RT does not. And, the wifi app looks to be very well done; better user interface than RT. The grill size is nearly the same as the RT-590 with optional second shelf (and pretty close to the RT-700 as well) and the price is significantly lower. All-in-all, if I were in the market for a medium-sized pellet grill (and, I may be), I’d look very hard at the Grilla Silverbac AT.

Last edited:
I have been doing some research on the Grilla Silverbac AT and really like what I see. The “all-terrain” wheel setup would be a big improvement over what RT offers (unless you buy the competition cart). It also has a pellet clean-out feature which RT does not. And, the wifi app looks to be very well done; better user interface than RT. The grill size is nearly the same as the RT-590 and the price is significantly lower. All-in-all, if I were in the market for a medium-sized pellet grill (and, I may be), I’d look very hard at the Silverbac AT.
Most important part:
Affirm-Landing-Page-min-1200x400.jpg

For the Smokefire, check if the reviews are gen1 or gen2. Almost all reviews were negative when they rushed the gen1's out before the grill was ready. I have not payed attn to the reviews since it 1st came out and I got the RT instead.

I just learned today that Grilla Grills has been purchased by American Outdoor Brands, Inc. So much for the “family-owned” business model. This is similar to Recteq’s recent “partnership with a private equity firm.” Another one bites the dust!

This pretty much kills my interest in Grilla Grills. As soon as the bean counters get their hands on a “family-owned business,” they sharpen their pencils and things usually start going downhill from both a quality and customer service perspective.

I’m disappointed as I was about to pull the trigger on a Grilla Silverbac AT. Bummer!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back