Bullseye No smoke flavor

SmokinDave

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Hi all,

Just got my Bullseye a week ago and I like a lot of things about it. I’ve cooked a brisket, spatchcock chicken twice, brats, and hot dogs. I enjoy cooking on it, love the smoke smell, and things have been tasty. However, smoke flavor hasn’t been part of the experience at all.

I just did a spatchcock chicken. Cooked at Lo until an internal temp of 135. Then bumped it up to 325 to finish. I even used an Amazen smoke tube filled with hickory chips, which smoked well the entire time. I’m using the Ultimate blend pellets.

Is smoke flavor just not possible with this grill? Anyone with a similar starting experience that figured out how to get better smoke flavor?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just got my Bullseye a week ago and I like a lot of things about it. I’ve cooked a brisket, spatchcock chicken twice, brats, and hot dogs. I enjoy cooking on it, love the smoke smell, and things have been tasty. However, smoke flavor hasn’t been part of the experience at all.

I just did a spatchcock chicken. Cooked at Lo until an internal temp of 135. Then bumped it up to 325 to finish. I even used an Amazen smoke tube filled with hickory chips, which smoked well the entire time. I’m using the Ultimate blend pellets.

Is smoke flavor just not possible with this grill? Anyone with a similar starting experience that figured out how to get better smoke flavor?
Higher the temp, less smoke.

try putting a chunk of wood on your heat diffuser. I saw this someplace, might try it

if you mix wood chips in with your smoke tube it helps alot. get as many chips as you can get and fill in the gaps with pellets. and definitely lower temp=more smoke. do you come from a stick burner background?
You know @chadinsc , wood chips in my smoke tube wouldn't be prudent :ROFLMAO:

if you mix wood chips in with your smoke tube it helps alot. get as many chips as you can get and fill in the gaps with pellets. and definitely lower temp=more smoke. do you come from a stick burner background?
i have an Akorn and the smoke flavor is way more apparent on that. I actually used 100% hickory wood chips in the tube.

So do you guys have obvious smoke flavor from yours or is it very, very light? Mine is so light that it’s like I cooked in my oven. I will run an experiment to cook the same thing on both my Rec Teq and oven. Maybe I’ll realize the difference in flavor that way.

One more question, does the Bull produce more smoke flavor than the Bullseye? I’ve thought about the Bullseye as being my intro to pellet grills and that I’d eventually get a traditional one.

Higher the temp, less smoke.
Thanks, I cooked at Lo until the chicken temp read 135, then bumped it up to try crisping the skin at the end. I actually saw lots of smoke throughout the cook, it just doesnt seem to impact the flavor.

One more question, does the Bull produce more smoke flavor than the Bullseye? I’ve thought about the Bullseye as being my intro to pellet grills and that I’d eventually get a traditional one.
IMHO, yes. I do my low and slow cooks on the Bull.

I have a feeling that it blows so much air that it doesnt have a chance to stick to the food. When I open the lid sounds like a jet engine or something. Never cooked on a pellet grill before so I dont know if thats how they all are or not.

Its my first pellet pooper, I have a KJ, a stick burner and a few Weber kettles. Just my impression

So you are having the same issue of zero smoke flavor?

I needed a new thermometer anyway, so I got one from Inkbird that also has a fan to control kamado temperature. Going to try that out this weekend and see if I have success making my Akorn more set it and forget it.

not sure havent done any real smoking on it. Doing a brisket flat tomorrow, that will tell the tale of the pellet pooper smoke ability...

I had an Akorn for several years until it finally rusted out. Great cooker. I graduated to a KJ big joe III

not sure havent done any real smoking on it. Doing a brisket flat tomorrow, that will tell the tale of the pellet pooper smoke ability...

I had an Akorn for several years until it finally rusted out. Great cooker. I graduated to a KJ big joe III
I definitely see a kamado upgrade in my future. Is the KJ and noticeable upgrade?

I still like the Bullseye overall and may just use this as an easy alternative for true grilling.

No its not a noticeable upgrade. its a completely different animal!

I would never be without my KJ. Nothing like cooking on charcoal and having complete control of it

No its not a noticeable upgrade. its a completely different animal!

I would never be without my KJ. Nothing like cooking on charcoal and having complete control of it
Agreed. I’ve come around to the reality that there isn’t one cooker to rule them all. Different pros/cons for each, which is part of the fun.

Looking forward to hearing about your brisket cook.

I definitely see a kamado upgrade in my future. Is the KJ and noticeable upgrade?

I still like the Bullseye overall and may just use this as an easy alternative for true grilling.
I do not know what size you are looking for but the KJ Jr. is on sale at Atlanta Grills for $299

Thanks, I cooked at Lo until the chicken temp read 135, then bumped it up to try crisping the skin at the end. I actually saw lots of smoke throughout the cook, it just doesnt seem to impact the flavor.
I have the 1250 and. 340. I just got them and am extremely disappointed in the smoke flavor even with a smoking tube! My electric master built for a couple hundred was much better

I have the 1250 and. 340. I just got them and am extremely disappointed in the smoke flavor even with a smoking tube! My electric master built for a couple hundred was much better
If you are using pellets only in the tube... not going to be much smoke. They burn too efficiently. Try adding some small chips. Also you may want to look into Smoke Daddy smoke generators. They have some awesome products.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back