No smoke flavor

Butkus51

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I did my first cook on my new 700 yesterday and today. BB cooked for 14 hrs. Looked really good, pulled off at 196deg, rested for 2 hrs. Real tender, just no flavor. I was a little disappointed. Anyone got any suggestions of what I did wrong? I stayed with the factory’s feed rate settings

I just got my RT 700 also, so I'm no expert in answering you. However, you might want to try adding some time to your cook at the beginning on the IO "extreme smoke" setting? (200° and under)
Get it good and infused with smoke first.?

The brand of pellets will determine the amount of smoke flavor as well...

Ie. Traeger brand will produce no smoke flavor since it's not 100% wood. Its wood and mostly filler. Brand like lumberjack gave me a really good smoke flavor.

Like @Buckeye smoker suggests should help as well. I've never used one but have seen alot of members post about them

Good idea. I may try that. I tr
Also look up "smoke tubes" for added smoke.
Also look up "smoke tubes" for added smoke.
i actually bought one with my grill. I just didn’t use it. I watched the video RECTEC made on a couple guys smoking a BB and tried my best to copycat what they did. They also have a pineapple jalapeño slaw in the video, which I made also, that was awesome and had rave reviews amongst family. I used the ultimate blend Rectec pellets that came with the grill. I’m gonna keep trying, extremes infusion may be what I have to do. I appreciate your replies

So, the intensity of smoke flavor is also a subjective thing, meaning what's just right for one may be too much/little for another. In addition to the suggestions above; Moister meat will take on more smoke flavor than drier, so you may want to do a spritz of apple juice or cider vinegar (depending on your flavor preferences) every hour up to the stall.

@Uncle Bob @ndfan6464 I just learned something new today. I wasn't aware that meat moisture or colder temp. would affect smoke absorption.. Thank you both for the added knowledge.

Funny how briskets are recommended to be at room temperature before smoking..

Theres a time and place for allowing protein to come up to room temps and smoking isnt one of them...

When you have time I HIGHLY recommend reading all that www.amazingribs.com has to offer.

You'll learn stuff that you never thought you could and it's all backed by science and written for knuckle draggers like me haha

I use Lumberjack hickory and mesquite and pecan on my 700 and the taste is unparalleled vs other pellets. IMO nothing else comes close. On big pieces of meat I give it an hour at extra smoke before going to higher heat. I also have and occasionally use a Heavy D heat diffuser which is the only way to get real stick burner taste from a pellet pooper. Tubes work Ok but honestly don't do more than the extra smoke setting on the bull unless your goal is to mix flavors. Heavy D gives intense smoke flavor like a real smoker...

I use Lumberjack hickory and mesquite and pecan on my 700 and the taste is unparalleled vs other pellets. IMO nothing else comes close. On big pieces of meat I give it an hour at extra smoke before going to higher heat. I also have and occasionally use a Heavy D heat diffuser which is the only way to get real stick burner taste from a pellet pooper. Tubes work Ok but honestly don't do more than the extra smoke setting on the bull unless your goal is to mix flavors. Heavy D gives intense smoke flavor like a real smoker...
I was wondering if you could tell me how exactly you use the Heavy D diffuser. The only other person I have talked to that uses one said they had problems maintaining the temps because the wood chunks or logs would catch fire and mess up the temps. How are you using the product to get great results. I am sure there are a bunch of us that are interested in this.
Thank You and welcome to the board!

I was wondering if you could tell me how exactly you use the Heavy D diffuser. The only other person I have talked to that uses one said they had problems maintaining the temps because the wood chunks or logs would catch fire and mess up the temps. How are you using the product to get great results. I am sure there are a bunch of us that are interested in this.
Thank You and welcome to the board!

How I use the Heavy D varies based on size of meat and length of cook. In general I prefer splits to chunks, and the key is not to fire the smoker all the way up to ignite... I turn it to 300 until wood smolders and then dial back to 200 and let the diffuser smoke the meat for a few hours. I know some people also wet the wood and believe it helps w temps.. I have had great smokes with the Heavy D and don't have real temp issues the way I use it. Just don't fire the grill to 500 to get the wood going, it's not necessary and likely would lead to temp issues...

I did my first cook on my new 700 yesterday and today. BB cooked for 14 hrs. Looked really good, pulled off at 196deg, rested for 2 hrs. Real tender, just no flavor. I was a little disappointed. Anyone got any suggestions of what I did wrong? I stayed with the factory’s feed rate settings
Have any of you seen the video on blind taste test. It’s kinda long but some useful info.

I did my first cook on my 1250 this weekend using the recteq pellets with the same result. BB cooked at 250. So I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing the hopper half and half. Recteq on one side and Hickory or something else on the other

How did you season the meat? Over the years, I have found that the type and quantity of rub used makes a significant difference in the flavor of brisket and seems to actually enhance the smoky flavor as well.

How did you season the meat? Over the years, I have found that the type and quantity of rub used makes a significant difference in the flavor of brisket and seems to actually enhance the smoky flavor as well.
I used Kosmos sweet honey pecan followed by ancho chili coffee rub. I could taste the flavor profiles but just no smoke.

I used Kosmos sweet honey pecan followed by ancho chili coffee rub. I could taste the flavor profiles but just no smoke.
Is it possible that the “flavor profiles” of those rubs masked the smoke flavor? II know folks have their favorite commercial rubs, but I’ve found that the simple SPOG (salt, pepper, onion and garlic) rub works very well on brisket and seems to enhance the smoky flavor. I encourage folks to start there with their first 2-3 briskets before venturing off into the world of what I call “flavored rubs.”

As far as pellet choice, I don’t use the RT Ultimate blend for brisket (or much of anything else). I have a couple of bags that came with the grill, but have only used them a couple of times and felt that they were pretty unremarkable.

Beef has a bolder natural flavor than pork, poultry, etc. and I think it needs a bold smoke. I prefer the bolder flavor of Hickory for smoking beef. That’s a personal choice, of course, and others will certainly make different choices.

One good way to try different pellets and rubs on beef without breaking the bank buying a bunch of expensive briskets is to smoke smaller tri-tip or chuck roasts. You will get a pretty good idea of how rubs and pellet choices affect beef flavor.

Yeah you are right on the beef thing. I did a top sirloin roast on my old smoker a few weeks ago and only used SPG and it was awesome. The family really liked it. I haven’t done a brisket yet. A year this weekend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back