Bull Newby confused about the need for a sear kit

Smoked Dog

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Actually I'm a pre-newby since I just ordered my RT-700 last Friday:giggle: I've been reading this and other forums, trying to get up to speed on pellet smoking/grilling, but I'm not grasping why a sear kit is desirable when cooking a steak or other meats where you want a sear. I do understand that the sear grates have a flat side, and if that's the side that's turned up, then the entire surface of the meat will be seared. However, if the sear kit is oriented with the other side up to produce the sear lines or hash marks, why is that any different than what the standard grates would do? In other words, if I crank the Bull up to 500, why won't the standard grates produce sear marks? Is it just that the sear kit will get hotter than the standard grates and produce a better sear? While I definitely want the sear, the idea of having another set of grates to clean up after a cook is not appealing.

Thanks for helping me understand.

Mike

Actually I'm a pre-newby since I just ordered my RT-700 last Friday:giggle: I've been reading this and other forums, trying to get up to speed on pellet smoking/grilling, but I'm not grasping why a sear kit is desirable when cooking a steak or other meats where you want a sear. I do understand that the sear grates have a flat side, and if that's the side that's turned up, then the entire surface of the meat will be seared. However, if the sear kit is oriented with the other side up to produce the sear lines or hash marks, why is that any different than what the standard grates would do? In other words, if I crank the Bull up to 500, why won't the standard grates produce sear marks? Is it just that the sear kit will get hotter than the standard grates and produce a better sear? While I definitely want the sear, the idea of having another set of grates to clean up after a cook is not appealing.

Mike
I concur. I don't need sear marks. As long as it eats good.

What padlin said. It evens out the heat and aluminum is more heat-conductive than the stainless steel bars. It also recovers quicker when you move the meat around. I don't use 'em on my pellet, but I have used them on the gasser. They work well. They are another thing to clean...

Try steaks without them. If you like it, why bother with the sear kit? Some folks don't care for seared steaks.

I'm a newbie also. I like the grill plates. They are easy to clean and if you don't care about a sear they're good for a much quicker cook of vegetables or potatoes.

I have the grill grates but have only used them 3 times on my 700, that I have had for almost a year now. I will have to try using them on my gaser. My biggest issue is if I want high heat, i use the Weber gaser. I like the idea of reverse searing, but if I low cook my steak and then have to wait 15 minutes for the 700 to heat up, I would rather have the gaser hot and just move the steak from the 700 over to the Weber. If the RT is your only grill and you plan to use it for high temps and searing, then the grill grates are a good option, but I find them hard to clean.

Has anyone tried cast iron for searing in the RT? I use a shallow cast iron skillet on my gasser, holds the temp a heck of a lot better then just the grills grates.

I have the grill grates and love them. Since they hold a higher temperature, the meat just looks more appeasing, IMO.

Side benefit is I use the flat backside for smash burgers and other items, so I end up using mine all the time unless doing a long smoke.

I have the Grill Grates (GG) and Cast Iron (CI) grates. There is overlap regarding their use but for me, the GGs got hotter, quicker, and recover quicker so you can sear or add the popular cross hatches. I typically let a steak rest for 15 minutes to absorb the juices back into itself before I do the reverse sear and that “seals the deal” which coincides with the time it takes for my RT700 to hit ~600 “riot mode” degrees. At that time the GGs take it up another 100-125 degreees. One important observation I made is that the GG‘s can be placed in the center of the grill (over the fire pot) for maximum temperature but your cook should be monitored for fatty foods in case of a flair up. My cast iron is also capable however, it takes more fuel to get it to 650-700 degrees like the GG. Another benefit of the GG is putting pellets in the vented slots adds rich flavor as you sear the meat as they (the pellets) can breathe and ignite unlike my solid cast iron. One overlooked quality of the CI is it maintains temperature (i.e., doesn‘t shed BTUs/heat like aluminum, copper, or other metals) but the RT700 temps hold pretty steady. Personally, I own several (8 and growing) grills of different types but if one is hot, I like the challenge of using it for everything. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I just bought a Napoleon gasser to replace my old gasser. This thing gets really hot and is a great grill. I have done a couple reverse sears on my Trailblazer then dropped the steaks on the gasser for the remaining 8-10 degrees with great flavor. I also will go charcoal for a great sear. However, my preference is to go slow on the smoker and #1 sear on a CI, or #2 sear on my screaming hot Blackstone. The smokiness from the smoker and the sizzle from the sear is the best.

i have grates from other grill, when it comes down to it i dont sear on RT as it doesnt sear well. If its all you got then its better than nothing, but nothing beats flame when it comes to searing, close 2nd is cast iron over flame. If you want to understand searing better look up maillard reaction.

Mike
Check out their website. I originally had the same thought process as you, but after doing my research I thought I’d give them a try. They work much better than the stock grill grates. Here’s the link that explains the “science”...
https://www.grillgrate.com/science-of-grillgrates/

I use them on my Bull every time. They live in there along with a cast iron pan that loves the continual seasoning. The grates make killer steaks and flipped make killer burgers. It’s about 100 degrees hotter than the grate. Here’s a lil strip I did this week. The vid gives a nice view.

Attachments

• B789226C-5EC2-4106-8127-51CAE766D651.jpeg
    B789226C-5EC2-4106-8127-51CAE766D651.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 119
  • 73B2C21E-BB49-4D09-8CF9-133BC0BE08C3.jpeg
    73B2C21E-BB49-4D09-8CF9-133BC0BE08C3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 129
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    8.9 MB
If you don't want a sear, don't get the grill grates. If you want a sear, these are worth every penny.
Personally, I consider the grill grates the single best purchase I've made for the grill.
The grill grates get hotter (200 degrees hotter according to the manufacturer) than the built-in grates. This way you don't have to wait as long for the grill to heat up when you want to sear.
I use them for steaks, veggies, and anything else I want to get a sear on.

If all you’re looking for is grill marks, your stainless steel grills can do it. The grill grates are better flat side up at searing and developing crust. I haven’t tried searing in cast iron yet, but I assume similar to flat side of the grill grates. You probably need to put cast iron in the grill from the get go though for it to collect enough ambient heat to sear well.

Ditto what others are sharing on grill grates relative to much hotter surface temps and searing stakes, burgers, etc. Because of these, my Weber gas grill has been idle for 2 years. Yes, it takes the Bull longer to heat up, but if you are cooking on gas and have a RecTec, then you have kinda missed the point, imo.

So I have some nice sirloins I'm attempting tonight. I'm marinating them already and when I get home I will put a little EVOO! What I'm understanding is 225 till 120-130, take off put in foil, and then crank to 400 put back on for a couple minutes each side. I do not have searing racks.

I’d skip the foil, that will just steam the sirloins. Do you have a cast iron skillet? Does a good job of searing when ripping hot. Failing that, I’d crank the grill up to max and sear them on the stock grates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPBrew
Back