Bull Newby Question about Sear Kit setup

Dzdandconfused

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Do you remove everything except the grill grates from the smoker? Buddy has a yoder and he says he takes the deflector and drip tray out for his, but was unsure on the RecTec. Thanks for the help!

I dont use my grill grates very often, but i just install them over the top of the SS grates. I also put then in long ways to keep the ends from over hanging the drip pan so i do not get grease down into the bottom of the smoker.

It’s physically possible to remove the stock grates to use the Grill Grates, but most of us here would not recommend it as already mentioned above. There is an aftermarket griddle that is designed to be used with the drip pan and deflector removed, but I cannot imagine any other situation where that’s advisable.

+1 removing the drip pan is asking for a grease fire. Btw, you can set the sear Grates length wise also* on top of the regular grates.

Do you remove everything except the grill grates from the smoker? Buddy has a yoder and he says he takes the deflector and drip tray out for his, but was unsure on the RecTec. Thanks for the help!
I leave the drip tray and deflector in and place them on the grates with the grooves going left to right, it works great. I think they recommend putting the grooves front to back but this has caused grease fires in the past. Like the others said, removing the deflector and drip tray will also make a mess and potentially cause a fire.

I just keep them in on top of the stock grates unless I need the extra space. Every now and again I take them out for bacon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back