New to RecTeq looking at the 700 and the 1250

Not sure where you are located, but there are lots of other places to buy brand-name pellets; most farm stores (Tractor Supply, Farm & Coastal, etc.), big-box and local hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, True Value, etc.), restaurant supply stores, larger grocery stores (our local Safeway carries Kingsford), Cabela’s, Bass Pro, Dick’s, etc. Finding a local store avoids the high shipping cost from internet orders…and RT.
I am in Ny so I have some options.

Bear Mountain has been my go-to for the past two or so years now. They have some great sales (look for a 4th of July BOGO sale) and the quality is top notch. I‘ve switched to them 100%.
Being new to pellets do ones burn hotter than others?

Bear Mountain has been my go-to for the past two or so years now. They have some great sales (look for a 4th of July BOGO sale) and the quality is top notch. I‘ve switched to them 100%.
I just got a beg of BM Gourmet BBQ. What flavors do you like?

Being new to pellets do ones burn hotter than others?
Yes, some pellets run hotter, are smokier, and produce more or less ash. Some pellets are longer and can cause issues with jamming. The differences are pretty small, but there are differences. For example I liked Knotty Wood Almond and Plum pellets for their smoke flavors, but they generate probably twice as much ash as others I've tried and they leave hard deposits in the firebox that must be cleaned out.

Regardless of the brand, I have pretty much settled on blended pellets of oak, hickory, and cherry or maple, hickory, and cherry as sort of all purpose pellets. The blended pellets are given marketing names like "competition blend", "gourmet blend", "supreme", etc. depending upon the brand.

I just got a beg of BM Gourmet BBQ. What flavors do you like?
I have been using Hickory and Pecan this year, the Hickory for beef and the Pecan for pork and poultry. It all gets blended for me since I don’t empty the hopper between cooks. The BM Gourmet is also stellar, and if I had to pick only one pellet from one manufacturer, that would be it! Good choice!

I have been using Hickory and Pecan this year, the Hickory for beef and the Pecan for pork and poultry. It all gets blended for me since I don’t empty the hopper between cooks. The BM Gourmet is also stellar, and if I had to pick only one pellet from one manufacturer, that would be it! Good choice!
Thanks

Not sure where you are located, but there are lots of other places to buy brand-name pellets; most farm stores (Tractor Supply, Farm & Coastal, etc.), big-box and local hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, True Value, etc.), restaurant supply stores, larger grocery stores (our local Safeway carries Kingsford), Cabela’s, Bass Pro, Dick’s, etc. Finding a local store avoids the high shipping cost from internet orders…and RT.
There are a couple of pool supply stores here in CHS that carry pellets sometimes. The one shop I stopped by, for something else, gave me a significant discount on 10 20lb bags of Traeger (single flavor) pellets. Turns out they’re not a big turnover item at that store. Win-win situation.

My nearby Tractor Supply only carries heating stove pellets (not food grade). Maybe others (elsewhere) do.

Lastly, I’ve had my 700 for 3 years. I can’t say I’ve used the light but once or twice. By the 2nd or 3rd smoke, the lens is covered with smoke(?). So don’t let that be a factor in your buying decision. I don’t have the second shelf accessory either. There are times I wish I had a second shelf for when I’d like to do 2 briskets at the same time. Without it, it could be quite crowded.

As experienced as I feel I am, I’m not sure I could tell you the difference if I had a faster controller or not. For a low and slow cook, I power my 700 on, set it to 225, put my meat on and it cooks the meat. The temp holds steady the whole time. If I’m doing grilled chicken, I’m usually cooking it at 350-400. The temp stays steady. If I’m doing steaks or burgers, I set the temp at 450 with the grill grates in place. The temp holds steady. My point is, I’ve never had any issues with the temp staying constant. So when I hear all our bbq buddies on this forum talk about this controller or that, I feel kind of stupid that I’m not understanding what the real difference is to me. On the other hand, I feel like a champ when I create some darn good bbq with my 700 without a lot of babysitting.

Bottom line, buy the damn 1250. 🤭

There are a couple of pool supply stores here in CHS that carry pellets sometimes. The one shop I stopped by, for something else, gave me a significant discount on 10 20lb bags of Traeger (single flavor) pellets. Turns out they’re not a big turnover item at that store. Win-win situation.

My nearby Tractor Supply only carries heating stove pellets (not food grade). Maybe others (elsewhere) do.

Lastly, I’ve had my 700 for 3 years. I can’t say I’ve used the light but once or twice. By the 2nd or 3rd smoke, the lens is covered with smoke(?). So don’t let that be a factor in your buying decision. I don’t have the second shelf accessory either. There are times I wish I had a second shelf for when I’d like to do 2 briskets at the same time. Without it, it could be quite crowded.

As experienced as I feel I am, I’m not sure I could tell you the difference if I had a faster controller or not. For a low and slow cook, I power my 700 on, set it to 225, put my meat on and it cooks the meat. The temp holds steady the whole time. If I’m doing grilled chicken, I’m usually cooking it at 350-400. The temp stays steady. If I’m doing steaks or burgers, I set the temp at 450 with the grill grates in place. The temp holds steady. My point is, I’ve never had any issues with the temp staying constant. So when I hear all our bbq buddies on this forum talk about this controller or that, I feel kind of stupid that I’m not understanding what the real difference is to me. On the other hand, I feel like a champ when I create some darn good bbq with my 700 without a lot of babysitting.

Bottom line, buy the damn 1250. 🤭
Thanks so much for the information. I think the 1250 is the one, hopefully all goes well with it. Was hoping to see some 4th deals on pellets but haven’t see any yet.

Thanks so much for the information. I think the 1250 is the one, hopefully all goes well with it. Was hoping to see some 4th deals on pellets but haven’t see any yet.
If you have not grabbed the 1250 yet, be careful the sale does not disappear. Pellet sales are easier to find.

Are you sure? Every Tractor Supply I’ve been to has had a pretty good selection of grilling pellets; Pit Boss, Bear Mountain, and several specialty brands. You might want to double-check with the store manager to be sure.

If you have not grabbed the 1250 yet, be careful the sale does not disappear. Pellet sales are easier to find.
Just got back in to the states was in Bermuda on vacation. Will try to order this evening. I guess one last question was did everyone compare recteq to any other brands? Anything in its league that I should be looking at?

Even at full price three years ago, I'm very happy. Not everyone will say they had then same experience, but I think they have a solid product at this price point. We now also own a Bullseye Deluxe.

Even at full price three years ago, I'm very happy. Not everyone will say they had then same experience, but I think they have a solid product at this price point. We now also own a Bullseye Deluxe.
what are the problems people have had with them?

what are the problems people have had with them?
There are a few folks on this forum who are rather vocal. I'm sure one or two will have something to say. The most common complaint seems to be inconsistencies in notifications on the app. That is not a high priority for me. I have never found it to be a significant issue. My cooks have gone off fine. Another might be some weakness on the wheels, if you move the grill quite a bit. I have a competition cart, so that is a non-issue for me.

There are a few folks on this forum who are rather vocal. I'm sure one or two will have something to say. The most common complaint seems to be inconsistencies in notifications on the app. That is not a high priority for me. I have never found it to be a significant issue. My cooks have gone off fine. Another might be some weakness on the wheels, if you move the grill quite a bit. I have a competition cart, so that is a non-issue for me.
Yeah I don’t think I will move it much more of an issue is figure out where I want to put it so it’s near an outlet.

From what I have read doesn’t seem like there is one perfect grill out there. I am really looking for a 1 stop shop grill I am hoping this one might be the closest thing I can find when factoring quality and price

Anyone put anything on the side of there recteq on top of the controller I was thinking this griddle might work nice if it fits.

C7F9A383-54C7-4D42-BDF7-5FED21E9D6E4.jpeg

I don’t know if it is too late but I would also consider the Competition Cart into the equation. I have been very satisfied with the CC and it is pretty much bullet proof. You may lose some self storage room but the only consistent weakness I see for either unit is that if you anticipate moving it around (i.e., local competitions, friends‘ houses, across uneven pavement or across the grass) don’t skimp!

I don’t know if it is too late but I would also consider the Competition Cart into the equation. I have been very satisfied with the CC and it is pretty much bullet proof. You may lose some self storage room but the only consistent weakness I see for either unit is that if you anticipate moving it around (i.e., local competitions, friends‘ houses, across uneven pavement or across the grass) don’t skimp!
I thought about it but as someone I think earlier sad, I might wait for a sale on accessories in order to pick that up. The current sale is just for the grill itself and the pellets because it would be a first time order. I wish they would come up with a card that had like some storage drawers underneath it. I’d be all over that. I won’t be moving it really after it’s built it’s our family grill so it’ll be kind of in one spot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back