New to Recteq - buying a new grill - torn between 590 and 700.

LDLeeHou

We have been traveling the U.S. and Canada in our 5th Wheel for the past 8 years. Wife accepted a position in Kerrville, Texas, so we are settling down for a while. As a result, time to get a real grill.

Before we hit the road, I had a Weber 3-burner grill, and loved it. Got pretty good at reverse seared steaks and beer can chicken.

I want to broaden my grill game to include smoke. Have friends who had Recteq grills and are true believers.

Initially, I was down to the Bullseye Deluxe and the Matador. Based on comments here, have mixed the Bullseye. Lots of people praising their 700. Now I am considering it. There are only two of us. At most, I might have to grill for six.

Every other Sunday, I grill steaks and a vegetable of some time (corn, potatoes, onions and peppers). Searing is important to me.

With that background, which one do you think I should purchase?

Thanks.
Lindsey

Welcome to the forum, @LDLeeHou, glad to have you here with us.

IMO, the RecTeq smoker/grills (340/590/700, et al) don’t shine are searing. They do significantly better at low, slow cooks. Will they sear? Well, kinda…maybe. The new RT-380X is much better at searing, but doesn’t really shine at low-slow. Again, will it do low-slow? Yeah, kinda maybe.

This is why at least some of us have a companion gas grill for searing and use our RT smoker/grills primarily for low-slow stuff. YMMV

I do my hot cooks (including searing) on my Bullseye and my low and slow on the 700. I have the base Bullseye and it does a really good job with GrillGrates. I originally seared on the 700 and it did a good job, again, with GrillGrates, but took too long having to wait for it to heat up to searing temps from the low temp cook. The 590 would behave the same way although both grills now come with a 3rpm auger motor which helps them heat up faster than mine does.
I smoke sometimes on the Bullseye and it does a good job but takes more care because you have to catch the drippings. It’s not set up with a good grease collection system.
If you are going to branch out and do ribs, pulled pork, briskets etc… I’d go with the 590 or 700 whichever best fits in your budget and available room. You’ll work out how to get the sear you want. You can always add a cheap hot and fast cooker (charcoal or gas) later if you feel you need it.

Welcome to the Forum LD
Like I've always said:
Grills are like Gun Safes
Buy the biggest one you can't quite afford
If you don't, you'll hate yourself later
We love our 700
We fill'er-up with every Cook
It takes the same amount of Pellets to cook 4 Chickens as it takes to smoke 1
Eat one, then Vac-Seal and freeze the others for later
With the added Large Shelf, we can smoke 6 racks of Babyback Ribs (lying Flat) for example

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back