New Router

Chevys10zr2003

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I am in the market for a new router or mesh system for my home wifi. I know that we have some techy networking people in this forum so I figured I would reach out and see what some people are recommending for a new system.

Had my netgear orbi for the past year. Changed my life. Wifi is a constant now with Good wifi about 100 feet outside my home in every direction. Iv had nighthawks and such and always frustrated. Orbi is a game changer as I'm sure you will get similar results with other mesh systems too. More techy people on here can elaborate on the benefit of a good mesh system I'm sure.

Had my netgear orbi for the past year. Changed my life. Wifi is a constant now with Good wifi about 100 feet outside my home in every direction. Iv had nighthawks and such and always frustrated. Orbi is a game changer as I'm sure you will get similar results with other mesh systems too. More techy people on here can elaborate on the benefit of a good mesh system I'm sure.
I currently have an Orbi system that I have had for about a little over a year. This is the system I am looking to replace. I thought I would love it but it has turned out to be the opposite. While the speed is good and the range is awesome I have to do a factory reset every 3 to 4 weeks as the satellites stop connecting or the router stops putting data through. I'm thinking I got a bad system but really want to avoid Netgear, especially their Orbi series. I really love the range of the mesh systems and am more leaning towards another mesh system.

I use Ubiquiti.. there are many options but the UDM (Dream Machine) might be a good place to start that is essentially an all in one and you can build on your system from there with access point options. Their support is pretty good and helpful in setting up and configuring for your needs. It is not the most user friendly so if you are looking for simplicity it may not the best choice and it can get costly also. One nice feature is being able to create specific wifi networks that serve your purpose such as 2.4G or 5G only. I have 5 access points in addition to my UDM making 6 total and it is all hard wired to create an entire home mesh solution. I don't believe there are limits to the amount of access points but you also don't want them overlapping too much either.

I am in the market for a new router or mesh system for my home wifi. I know that we have some techy networking people in this forum so I figured I would reach out and see what some people are recommending for a new system.
Ubiquiti is where it's at brother!

I personally have recently swtiched to the Ubiquiti Dream Machine but have setup a couple Ubiquiti Amplifi's for others - both are fantastic options!

Man, they don't mind asking you to pay for it, do they? 😂

LOL... Not at all. I did shop around and watched Amazon for some open box deals on the Access points but even so they add up quickly. Plus, a good managed switch to connect everything is nice to have so you can monitor your ports. Knowing what ports are operating at what speeds is helpful so you can be sure the system performs as planned.

It started with me many years ago when I was looking for an outdoor AP.. I came across the Unifi UAP-AC-Pro. It performed so well as a stand alone unit with my old router(s) I forgot about it and figured it had to be dead years later when I was looking for a better system. I was shocked to find out that after years of being outside the unit was still performing as good as the day it was installed. I was sold and started building from the ground up with all Ubiquiti devices and never looked back.

There is a bit of a learning curve but once you get comfortable with the network controller you get addicted to all the options and what you can do and oversee. They certainly don't hide things like Netgear would for options.

I've never heard of Ubiquiti. I will have to check them out and do some research on them.

@JGW I don't mind spending money on stuff as long as it works good. The Orbi system that I have had for a little over a year was $500-600 and doesn't work worth a crap so I'm replacing it. I'll have to do some research and see what the whole Ubiquiti system will cost.

I'll probably also look at Asus too. Now that I think about it I had a Netgear like 15 years ago and had a lot of problems with, the old school black and blue router I think everybody had one of. Then got an Asus router and had that for 8 years with 0 issues and then tried Netgear again with the Orbi and have had nothing but problems. Maybe Netgear and I just don't get along.

I've never heard of Ubiquiti. I will have to check them out and do some research on them.

@JGW I don't mind spending money on stuff as long as it works good. The Orbi system that I have had for a little over a year was $500-600 and doesn't work worth a crap so I'm replacing it. I'll have to do some research and see what the whole Ubiquiti system will cost.

I'll probably also look at Asus too. Now that I think about it I had a Netgear like 15 years ago and had a lot of problems with, the old school black and blue router I think everybody had one of. Then got an Asus router and had that for 8 years with 0 issues and then tried Netgear again with the Orbi and have had nothing but problems. Maybe Netgear and I just don't get along.
Oh, I don't mind spending money on quality items either. I tend to do a lot of research prior to buying.

If I were in the market, I might consider it as well, but I am not into the smart devices. My needs are pretty simple as far as internet stuff goes.

Agree. Never have issues anywhere inside or outside and all other routers before had issues somewhere. I think the new mesh systems work better all around, and the bull worked with it 1st try and always since.
NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (RBK752) - Router with 1 Satellite Extender | Coverage Up to 5,000 Sq Ft and 40+ Devices | Mesh A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086HJXKJJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apanp_nChJ1hs8Zj42A

So after looking at Ubiquiti some I am looking at two different mesh systems. The gamer mesh system and the alien mesh system. I'm kind of leaning towards the gamer system just because it has two satellites but not really sure.

https://amplifi.com/gamers-edition

https://store.amplifi.com/products/amplifi-alien-router-mesh

I looked at the dream machine setup and am curious what advantage that has over one of these mesh systems that I have linked above? I should also note that I don't have anything plugged into the router itself. All I have plugged in is one smart TV into one of the satellites. Everything in my home is wifi since the router is located in one corner of my basement.

I looked at the dream machine setup and am curious what advantage that has over one of these mesh systems that I have linked above? I should also note that I don't have anything plugged into the router itself. All I have plugged in is one smart TV into one of the satellites. Everything in my home is wifi since the router is located in one corner of my basement.

There is a big difference between the Amplifi/Gamer/Alien setup vs the Dream Machine and that is the access points they use.

The Amplifi/Gamer/Alien are more of a consumer based product using mesh technology. All three are great setups and all three are VERY easy to setup. It's nearly a plug and play setup.

If you need to expand your range you just add another mesh antenna. The downside is that newly added mesh antenna needs to be within range of the main base or another mesh antenna.

The dream machine / dream machine pro is more geared toward a prosumer / commercial use. With either dream machine you can use any of Ubiquiti's access points to expand your range. You can do this by using either a mesh setup as well OR you can add a stand alone access point via a network cable.

The dream machine by itself is awesome, but being able to expand on it via any of the many awesome access points Ubitiqui offers is really the selling point here. You can add access points exactly where you need them.

Far more control and abilities. But at a higher price and more technical know how or willingness to learn a lot. :D

Alright I was originally leaning leaning towards the Amplifi Alien but after looking at the Dream Machine I think I might be going that route.

Next question, for the ones that mentioned the Ubiquiti systems, were you suggesting the Dream Machine or the Dream Machine Pro rack mount? I'm thinking the Dream Machine stand alone but thought I would ask.

Alright I was originally leaning leaning towards the Amplifi Alien but after looking at the Dream Machine I think I might be going that route.

Next question, for the ones that mentioned the Ubiquiti systems, were you suggesting the Dream Machine or the Dream Machine Pro rack mount? I'm thinking the Dream Machine stand alone but thought I would ask.

The stand alone.. only issue I see right now is it seems out of stock everywhere or overpriced. I would not pay more unless you are in a hurry or can find one at MSRP. It is costly enough as it is :).

The stand alone.. only issue I see right now is it seems out of stock everywhere or overpriced. I would not pay more unless you are in a hurry or can find one at MSRP. It is costly enough as it is :).
Yeah I am fine with waiting to get one. Like you said I won't pay over MSRP for one. I'll most likely start out with just the Dream Machine and see where I need to add access points and go from there. The only crappy thing is it seems like the BeaconHD is really the only option I have for adding access points and it covers both outlets which I personally think is a dumb design since it only uses one of the outlets.

Yeah I am fine with waiting to get one. Like you said I won't pay over MSRP for one. I'll most likely start out with just the Dream Machine and see where I need to add access points and go from there. The only crappy thing is it seems like the BeaconHD is really the only option I have for adding access points and it covers both outlets which I personally think is a dumb design since it only uses one of the outlets.

I would opt for a AP that has hard wire capability if you can. You do not have to use that if you do not want to but have the option should you ever desire it. Any reason the BeaconHD is your only option?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back