New Jerky Plan Help

If you need some easy to chew jerky, simply cutting the meat cross grain will make a huge difference. But change to a traditional steak cut and it gets really tender when cut cross grain.
I think my prob was the marinade. Just too strong. Considering less time in the marinade.

Google OFG Jerky. its a solid recipe. I do mine at 180 for an hour or two and then up it to 225 till dry enough.

Bev,

I tried to find your post on the jerky recipes. Do you remember what area of was posted under?
Sorry, I did not see this (I'm thinking you are asking this from me (Beth not Bev).

I use an eye of round. I've used top and bottom round in the past as well. But eye of round is the right shape and an extremely lean muscle. However, it's tough so it's perfect for jerky. You will need to trim off any fat cap and silver skin on the outside. There is usually a tiny vein of fat in the eye but it will render off.

Regardless of what type of meat you use, always trim off all of the fat. Any fat that does not completely render will cause the jerky to go bad if it's not refrigerated. Who wants refrigerated jerky?

This recipe is for thin, dry jerky. I will list the recipe for thicker, more tender jerky below.

THIN AND DRY - Smoker is set to LO (180). For this recipe I don't marinate the meat. I slice it thin (1/8"). Then I lay it flat on grates. I make a mixture of equal parts kosher salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (to taste) and put in into a shaker. I season the meat liberally with this mixture. Jerky can take a lot of salt so don't be concerned that it is over seasoned. Then I sprinkle crushed red pepper on top of the meat. You will see in the photo of the meat on the grates that the left side is brown. That is because I tossed some of the meat into Teriyaki Sauce (my husband likes the flavor).

It will take 3-4 hours for thin jerky to be done.

THICK AND TENDER - For 5 lbs of meat untrimmed. Slice meat to 1/4 inch. Marinate it 24 overnight or longer.

Marinade
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon cayenne (or more)
2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons of granulated onion powder
2 tablespoons of granulated garlic powder
If you want to have a touch of sweetness to it, add honey to taste

The meat will absorb the marinade. I covered my 590 grates with the mesh cooking mats. Lay the meat on the mats. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper (optional). Set grill to 200. Mine cooked for 6 hours. It will get very dark, almost black. It will be tender to the bite but dry, not sticky. The last photo is of this type of thicker jerky.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Jerky 1.jpg
    Jerky 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • Jerky 2.jpg
    Jerky 2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69
  • jerky.jpg
    jerky.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 81
Thanks, I didn't notice my typo. Not sure if it was auto correct or my crappy one finger typing on my tablet. Sorry about that Beth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back