New grills from Recteq

I am considering purchasing a pellet smoker for the first time and just saw that rectec released this new smaller model which is what I was looking for. I did a product comparison between the Patio Legend 410 and the RT-590 and it appears the only difference outside of the size of course is that the rt-590 has a Cast Iron Deflector and the 410 does not. Does anyone know what the Cast Iron Deflector does and what the negative implications are of not having one?

I am considering purchasing a pellet smoker for the first time and just saw that rectec released this new smaller model which is what I was looking for. I did a product comparison between the Patio Legend 410 and the RT-590 and it appears the only difference outside of the size of course is that the rt-590 has a Cast Iron Deflector and the 410 does not. Does anyone know what the Cast Iron Deflector does and what the negative implications are of not having one?

I have both, and really cant tell any difference in daily operations to make me go towards one grill because of the deflector.

Steel deflector will warp over time with the constant heating and cooling. RecTeq says as long as it doesnt push the grease tray up, it's fine. I had a new one sent when this happened, even though they said it isnt a bid deal.

Cast Iron you "can" put pellets on top of the deflector for "added smoke," but that smoke lasts about 2 minutes, so it's a gimmick. Some cast iron can develop cracks in them, I had a crack in mine and it was warrantied.

Cast iron should take that high heat better than the steel, will it have any notable impact on cooks? I doubt it

Biggest difference for me is the 590 is a 4 year warranty vs a 2 year warranty on the 410

Who is going to be the first to buy the Legend?
I have a 340. Great little grill/smoker, but not particularity portable nor is it large enough (mostly because of headroom) to serve a small, stationery family. I’ve cooked a lot of great food on my 340, but I would have cooked a lot more had it had the headspace to cook a turkey breast, etc. The 340 also never was as ‘portable’ as I thought it might be during the start of the pandemic when we bought it. So in the end, IMO the Warrior and the Legend appear address some of the weaknesses in 340 when trying to design a ‘one grill to rule them all’, and be mobile’.

Biggest difference for me is the 590 is a 4 year warranty vs a 2 year warranty on the 410
And $200 more for the 590, which is not insignificant at this price point. I love that recteq has long warranties, by model, for its products but at the same time I don’t recall anyone here reporting ‘recteq won’t support my grill because it’s out of warranty.

2 YR vs 4 YR Warranty also. That's worth a few bucks.

Edit: to follow on what @Greg Jones said; I believe you could still call them for support for the 680 - but you won't get a replacement part gratis. I think that's really the difference between warranty and support.

Edit: to follow on what @Greg Jones said; I believe you could still call them for support for the 680 - but you won't get a replacement part gratis. I think that's really the difference between warranty and support.
That’s a great point. At the same time, and I could be mistaken, but I don’t recall anyone here reporting that recteq didn’t go the extra mile to get issues resolved (including replacement parts) even when the grill was out of warranty and/or from not the original owner of the grill. From my own experience and what I’ve mostly seen reported here, recteq’s customer service/warranty has been unequaled. They choose not to advertise lifetime warranty, but that’s largely what It is.

FTR, RT has been more than helpful with my 680 and newly acquired 6 year old 340. Free parts, nope 😞

FWIW, from the measurements on the RT site, the head room for the 410 is the same as the 340 @ 7”, the 590 is 9.5”. If I were trading up in size from my 340 it’d be to the 590 just for that reason,
That's where my delimina comes in... I have the RT-340 and it's been the prefect size for everything I've cooked until now. I'm finding some of the foods and quantities, which are only slighter larger than the interior of the Trailblazer, are just too big to squish in there. I need something with an additional 4" higher height than the interior of the 340. I was hoping one of the newly announced grills would be higher in the cooking interior.

I'm thinking between the RT-590, RT-750, and the newish RT-1070. Trying to keep costs somewhat low and keeping with a minimum overall grill footprint. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (Also, I'm brand loyal and would only consider a RecTeq. 😊 )

I'm thinking between the RT-590, RT-750, and the newish RT-1070. Trying to keep costs somewhat low and keeping with a minimum overall grill footprint. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (Also, I'm brand loyal and would only consider a RecTeq. 😊 )
OK - I'm biased, but the 1070. It doesn't have the controls hanging off the side = smaller footprint.
Hopper lid = front shelf. Storage cabinet down below. Hidden grease catch. All stainless.

I do wish it had a stack instead of the louvers, the grill would stay much cleaner.

FWIW, from the measurements on the RT site, the head room for the 410 is the same as the 340 @ 7”, the 590 is 9.5”. If I were trading up in size from my 340 it’d be to the 590 just for that reason.
Good to know. I didn’t read the specs-I just assumed it was bigger all around.

Last edited:
Ok, I could be way out of line here but. Investment firm, Ray’s club, and these new units, which appear to be a New Tide vs Old Tide when nothing changed but the packaging, all look like marketing tactics.
I'd go with "could be correct".

I got my RT-340 Trailblazer last week and a couple days later went to buy the cover and found my frill was discontinued. The newer grill gets hotter among other upgrades and is 100 dollars less.
I feel like I was used to get rid of old inventory. I am a veteran on a fixed income.
I wish when I was conversing with emails someone should have mentioned it.

I got my RT-340 Trailblazer last week and a couple days later went to buy the cover and found my frill was discontinued. The newer grill gets hotter among other upgrades and is 100 dollars less.
I feel like I was used to get rid of old inventory. I am a veteran on a fixed income.
Contact RecTeq and tell them your situation and how you feel. It never hurts and any time I've had to call them, they've always gone out of their way to help.

This explains why RT doesn't have a cover for the 340.

Contact RecTeq and tell them your situation and how you feel. It never hurts and any time I've had to call them, they've always gone out of their way to help.
I sent an email yesterday and have not heard back from them. I thought and was told they were a different company, but it does not seem that way to me.

I got a cover with the 340 bundle I bought last summer. I've never used it.
Also came with a griddle...never used that either.

Who is going to be the first to buy the Legend?
We just bought a new (to us) camper and the new Road Warrior would be perfect for it. But really, for the price and the fact I'll already be carrying propane - I'm leaning heavily towards a griddle.

For small families or those now grilling much, the new Legend looks like a good option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back