New grill

Yeah I didn't know that it warped. I got a weber summit for really cheap. I'll just get a griddle insert for that. Also the other new grills don't seem that great to me. I currently have a 1250 and 340(folding legs not the easy to use new one). Also the new flagship is about the same size as the 1070 so what was the point with coming out with 2 grills basically the same size? I don't get it. Only one I see being useful is the dual fire. But curious how thick that metal is in-between the 2. Or how insulated they are from one another.

I believe the warpage on the griddle is from using cold water. Most metals will warp when hot and adding cold to it. I am not defending them as it should be addressed, but that is a common error. Cast Iron would slowly warp and not jump like that in the video. I did notice it came back flat within 2 minutes of warping. Would you throw hot water on a windshield to clear the ice/snow from it? Or cold water on a hot windshield? Instead of warping you get cracks/breaks.

If it still warps when adding warm/hot water to it, then that is a design flaw and needs to be remedied.

Greg, That very insighful. I remember hearing the same thing about the Bull’s diffuser cover for 3 or 4 years. Then they released the 1250 with cast iron. Guess the UPS and Fed-X companies are silent investors as they will be the only people making money, hehe. The reality from my perspective is that I replaced 3 and need to order 4th. Their criteria was if it starts to lift the drip tray which is an unacceptable way for RT to minimize returns until warranties expire. I haven’t seen the underside of their griddle but most companies are welding X-brackets under theirs to minimize the warpage. The unfortunate side effect is that you create hot spots on the griddle’s surface that are great for putting Xs on your pancakes and omelettes but not so great for heat control and distribution. You should contact RT and let them know your drip pan is rising (if that is true) and they should replace it.
Something to keep in mind.......

RT probably have purchase orders in place with their chinesium suppliers that are very costly to modify or cancel. This means there is a high probability in the short term that whatever replacement part a customer receives, it is going to be the same as the part he (or she) is replacing. That is, unless/until two things happen;

1. RT redesigns the part and actually improves it.

2. Existing stock is depleted/exhausted and a new order is placed for the new/redesigned/improved replacement part.

Then, there's the logistics of getting the new parts from china to RT in the US to draw from, but you guys already knew that part.

So, for all of that to happen, it'll take a while.

Conversely, it is possible that RT could proactively place a parallel parts order for the new part if they get enough complaints about the old/existing part. However, on that, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Seems like Ray is pretty defensive about the SmokeStone - copynpaste from FB .

If it was $300 instead of $1k then maybe , but I'm with you on the 'zones' . The 'warming' rack is tiny and you can see from some the videos they have posted it gets in the way . Actually in most of them they have removed it ! Sure you can do stuff like place oven pans upside down and rest stuff on that seems like too much trouble . If you are really set on getting one then I'd wait a few months and get one when they are 20% off
🙂
. One other major consideration propane is way more portable and by that I mean the SmokeStone is not just powered by pellets you need electric too .

Raymond Carnes ·
not one commercial griddle in the world has “zones” because it’s bullshit. That’s why Waffle House has two griddles. Not to mention half the people ask for even heat all the way across at least the people “in the know” do and the other half want these magic “zones” where the heat doesn’t cross the imaginary magic line. Ray Carnes Co-Founder 706-294-1729 cell
There were few other comments from him too indirectly insulting people - off course he had lots of 'defenders' too .

IMHO......"Ray" should keep his very biased opinions mostly to himself, and in particular stay off FAKEBOOK. Consumers are the ones spending the money, pretty sure that we are the ones he should be intently listening to.......just sayin. ;)
Exactly. What was shared by @GameCrazi is what I mean when I said in another thread here that recteq doesn’t understand what griddle fans are looking for. A warming rack or oven pans turned upside down is not zone cooking. You wouldn’t want a kitchen range where all the burners are controlled by a single temp knob, why does recteq not get that about griddles? They really didn’t listen or listened to the wrong people when they researched the design of the SmokeStone.

Commercial griddles from webstaurantstore.com Looks like every one of them has multiple knobs/cooking zones to me.

Last edited:
Why some griddles, like the Halo, (pictured here) will never warp .Pictures of the underside of the recteq SmokeStone that warped live in the recteq video are welcome. Some products are worth 1k, others, not so much.

IMG_1981.jpeg
IMG_1980.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back