New grill

BadgerFan

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm curious what RecTeq is coming out with on Tuesday. It seems they've been discounting the 590 for awhile now so I'm thinking they want to get rid of that stock because something similar in size is coming out with some new features.

They've been announced and rays club members can already preorder. 3 refreshes, a pellet griddle (think Blackstone) and a dual fire grill for both direct and indirect grilling. I'm tempted by the two new grills but really don't need them. I'm also not sure how the griddle is going to be. I image temps will not be even and the center will be much hotter than the edges.

They've been announced and rays club members can already preorder. 3 refreshes, a pellet griddle (think Blackstone) and a dual fire grill for both direct and indirect grilling. I'm tempted by the two new grills but really don't need them. I'm also not sure how the griddle is going to be. I image temps will not be even and the center will be much hotter than the edges.
Was at recteq feast and those new grill are amazing if I didn’t own a bullseye and 1250 I’ll buy the griddle and dual fire grill without question

I am going Friday to Recteq to see them in person. Interested in the Smokestone and how well it heats the griddle. I have a Blackstone and may replace it in a couple of years. Also want to see the Dual Fire and how much room there is on the direct side.

I am going Friday to Recteq to see them in person. Interested in the Smokestone and how well it heats the griddle. I have a Blackstone and may replace it in a couple of years. Also want to see the Dual Fire and how much room there is on the direct side.
Will be curious to hear your opinions on the DualFire. Looks to be smaller than the Bullseye but hard to see. Should would like to see a video of it in action.

SmokeStone is weird. No zone control doesn’t make sense on a griddle. Would be cool if you could swap the griddle for a large grate.

Will be curious to hear your opinions on the DualFire. Looks to be smaller than the Bullseye but hard to see. Should would like to see a video of it in action.

SmokeStone is weird. No zone control doesn’t make sense on a griddle. Would be cool if you could swap the griddle for a large grate.
On the Dualfire the small side is kinda small in my opinion. Maybe 6 leg quarters or 2 small butts. No way you get 16 burgers on it unless they are Krystal/White Castle burgers! Maybe 8 Sam's or Costco burgers. It feels confined to use it as a grill. Great idea and some folks won't mind it but I don't think it's for me.

I do like the dual controllers and can be used independently. The larger side is more like a 700 with alot of room. Would be great for a small family to save space having 2 grills combined with the ability to do quick stuff on the small side and have a gathering using the larger side. Smoke some ribs/butts etc. on the big side and cook hotdogs/hamburgers for the kids on the small side at the same time.

The Smokestone has a stainless griddle, ala Waffle House/Huddle House. The grease drain is front right. Not sure of the hopper in front like the 1080. No experience with that one. Also interested in how to zone control the heat. I will have to see some reviews on it and see it in action. It is a great size and you can cook a good amount on it. But for as heavy as it is, I would have liked to seen bigger wheels.

They may come out with a grate for it.

One of the new items is an upgraded 590. Id imagine they are discounting the previous version to get rid of them as the new grills come out.

On the Dualfire the small side is kinda small in my opinion. Maybe 6 leg quarters or 2 small butts. No way you get 16 burgers on it unless they are Krystal/White Castle burgers! Maybe 8 Sam's or Costco burgers. It feels confined to use it as a grill. Great idea and some folks won't mind it but I don't think it's for me.

I do like the dual controllers and can be used independently. The larger side is more like a 700 with alot of room. Would be great for a small family to save space having 2 grills combined with the ability to do quick stuff on the small side and have a gathering using the larger side. Smoke some ribs/butts etc. on the big side and cook hotdogs/hamburgers for the kids on the small side at the same time.

The Smokestone has a stainless griddle, ala Waffle House/Huddle House. The grease drain is front right. Not sure of the hopper in front like the 1080. No experience with that one. Also interested in how to zone control the heat. I will have to see some reviews on it and see it in action. It is a great size and you can cook a good amount on it. But for as heavy as it is, I would have liked to seen bigger wheels.

They may come out with a grate for it.
They just added some SmokeStone videos to FB. They cooked slices of bread to show how the heat is even. Unfortunately they flipped the slices in the wrong order….
Having a griddle without zones still makes no sense to me.

I am definitely not sold on the concept of a pellet griddle, but that made me a slow adopter to pellet grills, haha. That being said, I have the Blackstone Tailgater for my camping and once understood, noticed that it is a 2 burner on the griddle side that acts as 4 distinct zones depending on the burner settings and conservatively a 4 zone on the ”pot” side when using a griddle top. I think some overthink the number of burners/heat zones and conflate the best griddles have hot consistent heat zones everywhere. That defies physics unless the heat source (e.g., burners) populate the entire underside of the griddle. I redesigned the regulator for my B-Stone from the normal 2-3psig configuration to a custom fully adjustable “flame thrower” up to 10psig that can warp the best of metals. In full disclosure, my intent wasn’t to supercharge the griddle, I was naive enough to think that my wind related experiences while beach camping would stop with wind screens and a slight upgrade in my propane flow. That was like trying to determine what a horse eats by looking at what comes out of its‘ rear end! We often forget how quickly a piece of metal cools when exposed to wind and ambient temperatures, which is the entire premise behind why we use cast iron. Now, I rule! Each time I have a visit from a fellow camper they wonder how I get the productivity out of my undersized griddle (insert jokes here). On a trip last year, my friend and I served about 60 smash burgers in ~20 minutes and everyone ate at about the same time with no cold burgers served. I think if we give RT some time they will show us a cutting edge device that will fit our needs. Don’t forget their provenance, it began with 2 guys, a great idea, and the RT680. We’re a long way from Kansas and Toto doesn‘t want to go home!

Any of you order the smokestone? I know Noone will be making a post on it for a while because it's a pre-order but just curious how many people ordered it.

Any of you order the smokestone? I know Noone will be making a post on it for a while because it's a pre-order but just curious how many people ordered it.
I’d be very hesitant to be one of the first to order that. Between the griddle warping during the demo cook and the fact that gas griddles have multiple heating zones so that you can customize your cook and the recteq has only one zone gives me pause.

Now if it came with a grate you could swap out for direct fire grilling??? I’d consider it. $900 for a griddle is a no go for me.

Ray loaded a bunch more SmokeStone videos on FB. Must be reading all the comments about it…

I’m not on FB, so I won’t see those. Wish recteq would pick an ‘official’ channel page and stick with it.
Me either. Official? They are all over the map, I suspect the pressures of the investment firm screaming mo money, mo money. I’ve seen it in companies I have been affiliated with or worked for. I find it a sad situation.

So my wife, who is on FB, watched one of Ray’s videos where they were called out about the warped griddle. Ray’s response was the grill has a 6-year warranty and if your griddle warps and doesn’t return to normal after it cools down, they will replace it. So, get used to cooking on a wobbly griddle unless it stays that way. I guess that’s a bit of an improvement-I have a 4-year old warped diffuser on my RT-700 which never returned to normal and recteq never offered to replace it. Said it didn’t matter.

Ray’s response was the grill has a 6-year warranty and if your griddle warps and doesn’t return to normal after it cools down, they will replace it.
That’s a pretty dumb response on his part. I guess that’s all he had since RT doesn’t plan to fix the problem.

it’s such a dumb response. Griddles need to be as close to level as possible so when you put oil on them, it doesn’t all run to one side or down the grease trap. A warped griddle throws all that out the window, plus it’s difficult to cook on because it wobbles. The recteq guys didn’t do their due diligence on this one. If you want a griddle at the 1k price point, buy a Halo or a Traeger. Both excellent, well designed griddles. Probably others at a similar price that I’m not familiar with. If you want to spend less, Blackstone, Pitt Boss, Camp Chef, and others offer quality griddles that work as expected without braking the bank.

So my wife, who is on FB, watched one of Ray’s videos where they were called out about the warped griddle. Ray’s response was the grill has a 6-year warranty and if your griddle warps and doesn’t return to normal after it cools down, they will replace it. So, get used to cooking on a wobbly griddle unless it stays that way. I guess that’s a bit of an improvement-I have a 4-year old warped diffuser on my RT-700 which never returned to normal and recteq never offered to replace it. Said it didn’t matter.
Greg, That very insighful. I remember hearing the same thing about the Bull’s diffuser cover for 3 or 4 years. Then they released the 1250 with cast iron. Guess the UPS and Fed-X companies are silent investors as they will be the only people making money, hehe. The reality from my perspective is that I replaced 3 and need to order 4th. Their criteria was if it starts to lift the drip tray which is an unacceptable way for RT to minimize returns until warranties expire. I haven’t seen the underside of their griddle but most companies are welding X-brackets under theirs to minimize the warpage. The unfortunate side effect is that you create hot spots on the griddle’s surface that are great for putting Xs on your pancakes and omelettes but not so great for heat control and distribution. You should contact RT and let them know your drip pan is rising (if that is true) and they should replace it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back