Bullseye New Bullseye Owner Not Heating!

SWright

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Went with the Bullseye for my first pellet grill. Assembly went fine went for the first burnout. Followed instructions filled the hopper with RECTEQ pellets, tossed a handful of pellets in the burner. Set temp to 400 and grill won't heat beyond 100 degrees before cutting off giving error code. Grill does do the burnoff of the remaining pellets getting hotter than when it's plugged in and set to a temperature. I'm asking for the all the advice and tips I can get to correct issue. Thanks.

Try starting it at 225F, then change the temp when it starts burning good

Most common cause for that is an igniter that sits too far back in the tube. The pellets don’t make full contact with the igniter. Plenty of discussions and pictures here on the forum.

Welcome to the forum, @SWright; glad to have you join us here. And, sorry you are having issues with the Bullseye.

Since you are getting an error code, I’m guessing it is beyond a simple DIY fix. Call Recteq customer service and they will walk you through some tests. My guess is that you have a bad controller board, a bad/misadjusted igniter or that the auger is not functioning properly.

Welcome to the forum, @SWright; glad to have you join us here. And, sorry you are having issues with the Bullseye.

Since you are getting an error code, I’m guessing it is beyond a simple DIY fix. Call Recteq customer service and they will walk you through some tests. My guess is that you have a bad controller board, a bad/misadjusted igniter or that the auger is not functioning properly.
It's the error code that shows in manual when it "fails to light itself within 30 minutes ER-2" but it lights because it burns the remaining pellets left.

Most common cause for that is an igniter that sits too far back in the tube. The pellets don’t make full contact with the igniter. Plenty of discussions and pictures here on the forum.
I would check this first before calling. You will get an error code if your grill doesn't at least get up to 200 degrees in a certain amount of time.

There’s video’s on adjusting the ignite, at least for the smokers there is. If you are so inclined you can light it with a torch. Unfortunately you have to do the adjustment yourself unless you live around Augusta.

This isn't a grill issue!
The owner isn't heating, maybe more fuel?
images.jpg

I've never tossed pellets in the burning chamber. The instructions don't call for it.

I've never tossed pellets in the burning chamber. The instructions don't call for it.
You should on a new grill or after vacuuming. I'm sure it's documented

The instructions don't call for it.
The instructions for my RT-340 mention that procedure in two separate places. YMMV

Many of us have found that a handful of pellets in the fire pot (especially after cleaning it) provides for a smoother, faster startup. Again, YMMV.

Edit: Just noticed that this was your first post on the forum, so apologies for not welcoming you aboard; truly, we are happy to have you join us here.

Last edited:
I ALWAYS pre-load my Bullseye with pellets. That's myself and my dad's procedure.

When you get your bullseye going and assuming most of your cooks are hot and fast, if you turn off (power down cycle) your grill when hot, you won't really be left with any pellets. I scoop out the ash by hand and add in pellets. This makes the start up a lot faster. Some turn the grill down to low and let stabilize for awhile and then turn off. That kind of solves the problem but still not worth all the trouble in my opinion.

Now for my Bull, I do not do this. I do turn down to low and let it stabilize and then turn off and ready to turn on the next time.

Just some food for thought.

With all this rain I get moisture issues here in AR with my bullseye and it leads to the same error. I know yours is brand new, but I keep a low level of pellets in mine and vacuum out the pellets when this happens. In my case it is pellets that have gotten soft in the augur tube between the bottom of the pellet chamber and the igniter. They get sort of fluffy and won’t roll forward.

I take one of those plastic hooky sink clearing wands to it to get the last of those pellets out of the auger tube, refill about halfway in the pellet chamber and put a handful of pellets in the igniter pot and start over. I could probably do better to pull it under my porch eaves when it rains. This process fixes it for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back