New Beta app update patch / BearMountain Pellet review.

I did get this in an email Reply from them if you're interested...
"......we use an Oak or Alder basewood depending on the region. Alder in the Pacific Northwest and Oak everywhere else. Our blend ratio is proprietary, but I will let you know that it’s slightly higher % oak in the apple pellet blend since Apple is a low BTU/high ash wood, so we blend the ratio for consistency with our other products."-BM

I tried the Bear Mountain Pellets. I agree they burn a little hotter. I started some jerky with RT in bottom of hopper and poured some BM on top. Tried to hand mix some in the hopper. Both were the blend mix. First hour held 180 tight. Started to creep up, each hour slowed min auger speed. It seemed to settle it at 5. Not sure the hand mix is all gone yet.
BTW notifications (grill temp) worked great. From those of us who did not have alerts, I don't mind too many!!

I did get this in an email Reply from them if you're interested...
"......we use an Oak or Alder basewood depending on the region. Alder in the Pacific Northwest and Oak everywhere else. Our blend ratio is proprietary, but I will let you know that it’s slightly higher % oak in the apple pellet blend since Apple is a low BTU/high ash wood, so we blend the ratio for consistency with our other products."-BM

Regarding apple being low btu, I searched around for some data. Here's a couple charts I found for heating with fire wood. There are a ton of variables. So the more data sources the better. But my guess is that pellet makers mostly blend to increase profit.

Attachments

• firewood-btu-chart.png
    firewood-btu-chart.png
    665 KB · Views: 87
  • wood btu chart1.JPG
    wood btu chart1.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 88
Morning all, I told a few I'd get back to them on a CPL things. I was going to add this to a current app thread but there's already several anyway.
@Mike @mooncusser2k @Roaniecowpony etc..

So I got around to my Beta 1.6.0 app version this morning and the cook is in progress 8pd Pork shoulder.

App-
Immiedate difference in notifications/alarms* If the functions continue, this is a home run for RecTec*

I will add pics to show them. The app alerts when the smoker is on and off, it alerts to building temp,over temp,under temp, regained temp. It alerts to temp settings for the probes.

@Roaniecowpony my first 4 or 5 checks of the temp on the app DID show temp increase without refreshing. Later, I had to refresh the screen as usual by going back 1 page to the grill select screen. To me this sounds like a "timed out "event. I can't tell you how long (8-10min guess?)..and is really a non-issue to me. It may even have to do with my phone not the app and background processes etc,etc. I'm one of the lucky ones that never really had problems with the app. However now, I'm even more happy with it. I see future posts about people crying that the app now alerts them TOO MUCH...lol I did notice they got rid of the grill temp alarm button on/off it's just the two probes now. The internal barrel temp alarm is automatic for +/- 15° but you can adjust your feed rate from the app.

BearMountain Pellets - So....I ordered these on a whim because I like to try new things. I'll be honest, I thought they were 100% all one wood pellets. Like Lumberjack's 100%. So I ordered all Apple to compare to my Lumberjack's which I love**
... immediate difference as, my grill was in over heat notification mode after 10mins approx. Going over the 180° Extreme Smoke setting. In fact, it got to 205° and I had to vent the lid. My smoker has never gone more than about5° over or under the setting in the year Ive owned it.(RT700).

It's 60° light wind, same spot it sits. The only difference is the pellets. So these appear to burn hotter. And that gets me back to the 100% Apple deal. Bear mountain is 100% "hardwoods".... Meaning, unlike Lumberjack's they are approx. 70% Ash or Oak and 30% Apple. (Depending on region they say)..This doesn't mean they are filler, it just means they are not 100% one wood. They do appear to have good amount of smoke, and are a larger diameter than Lumberjacks. For me, even if they taste good, I'm probably not going to stay with them if it effects the temps this much.I realize I can change auger speed etc, and I do have it stabilized now but, I got The Bull to get away from babysitting. Also when using a stick burner I don't put Apple and Ash in it at the same time as another example. Anyway, There's my preliminary review of both as promised. I'll let you know how the cook turns out, and the apps performance later today...
View attachment 4005
Been using Bear Mountain pellets several years. Found they burn cleaner with little ash residue. RT590 Owner

Thanks for the update on the app...great news it seems. I was a beta tester for the iOS version last year, things generally got better (except the alerts of course), then I upgraded my phone and during the software transfer onto the new phone the App Store wouldn't give me that special app (TestFlight) for downloading beta versions. Anyway, I continued on reasonably happy with the app (minus alerts), solid wifi, reliable control, etc.

Just to be clear, you mention and show the alerts the app passes on but are these true push notifications (assuming you enable them) where the app will also alert you with an audible sound while the phone is in sleep mode...as in no requirement to manually wake the phone up to see the alert? As in useful for watching the game with the phone on the coffee table or an overnight cook temp alarm with the phone on the nightstand nearby? I know you have the Android version but I expect the same functionality will be available on the iOS version is due course. Thanks again for your update!

Just to be clear, you mention and show the alerts the app passes on but are these true push notifications (assuming you enable them) where the app will also alert you with an audible sound while the phone is in sleep mode...as in no requirement to manually wake the phone up to see the alert? As in useful for watching the game with the phone on the coffee table or an overnight cook temp alarm with the phone on the nightstand nearby? I know you have the Android version but I expect the same functionality will be available on the iOS version is due course. Thanks again for your update!
Yes. I have mine set to the "Hey!" Audio alert on my phone it's been working great. I can double check for you , but I don't recall having to wake the device to get a push notification.

Morning all, I told a few I'd get back to them on a CPL things. I was going to add this to a current app thread but there's already several anyway.
@Mike @mooncusser2k @Roaniecowpony etc..

So I got around to my Beta 1.6.0 app version this morning and the cook is in progress 8pd Pork shoulder.

App-
Immiedate difference in notifications/alarms* If the functions continue, this is a home run for RecTec*

I will add pics to show them. The app alerts when the smoker is on and off, it alerts to building temp,over temp,under temp, regained temp. It alerts to temp settings for the probes.

@Roaniecowpony my first 4 or 5 checks of the temp on the app DID show temp increase without refreshing. Later, I had to refresh the screen as usual by going back 1 page to the grill select screen. To me this sounds like a "timed out "event. I can't tell you how long (8-10min guess?)..and is really a non-issue to me. It may even have to do with my phone not the app and background processes etc,etc. I'm one of the lucky ones that never really had problems with the app. However now, I'm even more happy with it. I see future posts about people crying that the app now alerts them TOO MUCH...lol I did notice they got rid of the grill temp alarm button on/off it's just the two probes now. The internal barrel temp alarm is automatic for +/- 15° but you can adjust your feed rate from the app.

BearMountain Pellets - So....I ordered these on a whim because I like to try new things. I'll be honest, I thought they were 100% all one wood pellets. Like Lumberjack's 100%. So I ordered all Apple to compare to my Lumberjack's which I love**
... immediate difference as, my grill was in over heat notification mode after 10mins approx. Going over the 180° Extreme Smoke setting. In fact, it got to 205° and I had to vent the lid. My smoker has never gone more than about5° over or under the setting in the year Ive owned it.(RT700).

It's 60° light wind, same spot it sits. The only difference is the pellets. So these appear to burn hotter. And that gets me back to the 100% Apple deal. Bear mountain is 100% "hardwoods".... Meaning, unlike Lumberjack's they are approx. 70% Ash or Oak and 30% Apple. (Depending on region they say)..This doesn't mean they are filler, it just means they are not 100% one wood. They do appear to have good amount of smoke, and are a larger diameter than Lumberjacks. For me, even if they taste good, I'm probably not going to stay with them if it effects the temps this much.I realize I can change auger speed etc, and I do have it stabilized now but, I got The Bull to get away from babysitting. Also when using a stick burner I don't put Apple and Ash in it at the same time as another example. Anyway, There's my preliminary review of both as promised. I'll let you know how the cook turns out, and the apps performance later today...
View attachment 4005
Hmmmmm. Downloaded update yesterday in time for my pork butt cook I started last night at 225. Got up this morning and put probes in. Set alarms (2 butts) to 195 and immediately temp started climbing past 250. What the “ heck”?! Turned off probe alarms, temperature started dropping. Hit 225 again,...good. Turned probe alarms back on and watched 590 temp start climbing. Looks like app wants meat to hit probe alarm temp immediately. Wish it worked like yours.

Hmmmmm. Downloaded update yesterday in time for my pork butt cook I started last night at 225. Got up this morning and put probes in. Set alarms (2 butts) to 195 and immediately temp started climbing past 250. What the “ heck”?! Turned off probe alarms, temperature started dropping. Hit 225 again,...good. Turned probe alarms back on and watched 590 temp start climbing. Looks like app wants meat to hit probe alarm temp immediately. Wish it worked like yours.
Opening the lid to put the probes in more than likely caused your temperature over shooting issues, not the app or changing the probes temperature set points. When the lid is opened for peeking poking slicing saucing ect the pit temperature will drop and the controller will try to maintain temperature by pushing more pellets into the fire pot. When the lid is now closed your temperature will over shoot until the controller catches back up. Patients is what the grill needs.

Yes. I have mine set to the "Hey!" Audio alert on my phone it's been working great. I can double check for you , but I don't recall having to wake the device to get a push notification.
Sure give it a try on your next cook. Obviously no rush since the app is still in beta, just curious how far they've taken this. Thanks.

Curious if you have Android or Apple ?

i just downloaded the v 1.6.2 (345) on to my phone. (Apple). Do i need to do something to the controller or will it update just because it is connected via wi-fi?

And... this is the update you all are talking about? I am not a tester (at least i don't think i am, i got a message asking me if i wanted to be considered one and i said yes but never heard another thing about it).

thanks...

i just downloaded the v 1.6.2 (345) on to my phone. (Apple). Do i need to do something to the controller or will it update just because it is connected via wi-fi?

And... this is the update you all are talking about? I am not a tester (at least i don't think i am, i got a message asking me if i wanted to be considered one and i said yes but never heard another thing about it).

thanks...
The controller never updates, its just the app so nothing else to do. I wish Rec Tec had the ability to update the controller like other grill manufactures do.

I think I finally got my alerts going. It was a setting I had disabled in the phone's baseline alerting. It was hard to find in my el cheapo. Apparently, I had gotten annoyed with all the amber alerts and gov't emergency tests and had shut it off. Now it chimes and puts a message up on the wake up screen.

Refreshing to see a post about "ooops, it was on my end*"... Glad it's working for you !

Refreshing to see a post about "ooops, it was on my end*"... Glad it's working for you !

Thanks.

But.... I'm still seeing intermittent lack of actual realtime temp and having to refresh the app to get actual temp. Again, it seems intermittent, but it happens enough to repeat. I was changing temps yesterday from 205 to 400 for my wings and it was ramping up. But the display temp would hang. When I refreshed it would be much higher. Anyone seeing this?

Thanks.

But.... I'm still seeing intermittent lack of actual realtime temp and having to refresh the app to get actual temp. Again, it seems intermittent, but it happens enough to repeat. I was changing temps yesterday from 205 to 400 for my wings and it was ramping up. But the display temp would hang. When I refreshed it would be much higher. Anyone seeing this?
It might be a el cheapo phone issue.

It might be a el cheapo phone issue.
Could be. It's an Asus A009 (a.k.a. ZenFone V Live) freebie from Verizon. I had premium phones from work, which my personal account was forwarded to, until I retired in January. It's been ok, but the processor speed is noticably slower.

Thanks.

Could be your phone again. Puting the non-use app Into sleep mode for another open app or function or conserving battery for any number of reasons. Mine hasn't gone Into "sleep mode"(the app) anywhere near as often as it did before the fix. But, going back One screen and refreshing the page for up to date info is kind of a non-issue for me personally. Just like a few other posts here lately, the issue is probably not RecTec related. More likely iOS or Android in my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back