Need lid for grease bucket

The "lid" I have in mind covers the spout connection as well as the bucket. There would be nothing to remove before using the grill.
Not a helpful tip for those with legacy recteq models, but the best solution is to locate the grease bucket under the grill’s barrel. I see the newer recteq models do that now. Most competing pellet grills have done that for years. Best option available now for owners of the 700 series grills is to mount a smoke box!

Making a tin prototype is an excellent suggestion. I was just hoping that someone else had already done it. I did find a video of an interesting prototype.
If you come up with something wind proof, rain proof, I forgot proof, burn proof, have to put it away proof, etc., this is the place to share that idea. I haven't seen anyone make something like that yet.

Yep, as Charles said, disposable glass jar is the answer. Grab an empty pasta sauce, pickle, pepper or other random one. It is the easiest way to solve the problem.
I tried this once. My result was the top of the pasta sauce jar tapers in enough that the lip of the jar is about an inch off the side of the drip bucket I had it sitting in. I think more grease went into the bucket versus the jar and made the outside of the jar a greasy mess.

I tried this once. My result was the top of the pasta sauce jar tapers in enough that the lip of the jar is about an inch off the side of the drip bucket I had it sitting in. I think more grease went into the bucket versus the jar and made the outside of the jar a greasy mess.
Try a large mouth Mason jar.

Or, simply put a cover on the grill and prevent rain from filling the grease bucket. YMMV
Just a general fyi…I had a recent cook (ribs) in the rain. My problem was rain was filling the grease bucket. My bad for not thinking about this and emptying it. Suffice to say, it made a 1 1/2 ft diameter mess on my concrete patio.

I now store my bucket off the grill when not in use. I stuff a shop towel in the drain spout. I store it separately because, stupid me, left the bucket on when I put the cover on my RT-700. That’s not a problem. The stupid part was taking the cover off. That’s when “forces” are pulling upward on the grease bucket…resulting in dumping grease on the lower frame and my concrete floor. Ugh!

Making a tin prototype is an excellent suggestion. I was just hoping that someone else had already done it. I did find a video of an interesting prototype.
Wish I knew a fabricator. 😄

Outstanding video. Love a guy that’s drinking during his video and no shame about drinking Natty Lights. 😄

Or, simply put a cover on the grill and prevent rain from filling the grease bucket. YMMV
I store it inside (another reason I never needed the remote turn on feature!) and learned a valuable lesson on COVERING the grill when not in use. Pellets got damp and clogged the whole auger up like cement.

I need a better solution for the grease bucket. The default design is wide open when it rains, grease splatters all over the place. My solution so far is to wrap aluminum foil over the top but the wind eventually blows that off. Has anyone printed out a part that goes from the spout and completely covers the top of the bucket?

I was really hoping that Recteq themselves would sell a workable solution. Heck, I'd love a disposable container so I can just toss it instead of struggling with emptying a solidified mass of lard. Whatever the solution, it has to be covered so grease doesn't splatter when it rains.
You lost me when you talk about leaving your pellet grill out in the rain. Can't imagine what that does to the pellets even with a lid on the hopper.

That sounds easy but in reality that means remembering to go back to the grill after an hour when it has cooled down. By that time I've already eaten, ready for a nap and long forgotten about the grill. As for the foil solution, I think racoons or some other critter tears off the foil and is enjoying the drippings.

I shocked that no one else wants the simple, setup and forget solution of a bucket lid.
I just pour the liquid grease into a metal 2 gallon pale right away and store it in the garage. I use the grease to start fires in my fire pit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back