Bull My observation on the new Controller/App

Freedom Forged

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
So I used my RT-680 for 5 years with the original controller, never an issue. My wife knew I had been looking at the new controller and ordered it for my birthday (June 2021). I have done 10-12 cooks with it since. I have noticed these issues with the new controller/app since June.

1. It takes 15-20 minutes longer to come to temp (usually 275) on start-up. (ok, no big deal just start earlier)
2. It over-shoots the set temp by about 60 degrees on start-up. I have to wait and additional 15-20 mins for it to come down and level off. Now we are at 35-45 mins total.
3. The temp shown on the app varies from the temp on the controller by as much as 40 degrees at times.
4. Occasionally during a cook the temp will over shoot the set point by 75 degrees and it may take 45 minutes to come back to the set temp.
5. All of the above initiates a LOT of alerts.

For the record, I have talked with RT customer service and they walked me through a system check and said all was fine. Also I am rarely more than 30 feet away from the smoker. In fact most of the time Im close enough that I can read the control panel from my recliner through the patio doors.

I am thinking of switching back to the original controller and using my MEATER for the meat temps. I won't be able to control the smoker remotely but oh well.

Have any of you guys experienced this? Am I being too picky?
David

So I used my RT-680 for 5 years with the original controller, never an issue. My wife knew I had been looking at the new controller and ordered it for my birthday (June 2021). I have done 10-12 cooks with it since. I have noticed these issues with the new controller/app since June.

1. It takes 15-20 minutes longer to come to temp (usually 275) on start-up. (ok, no big deal just start earlier)
2. It over-shoots the set temp by about 60 degrees on start-up. I have to wait and additional 15-20 mins for it to come down and level off. Now we are at 35-45 mins total.
3. The temp shown on the app varies from the temp on the controller by as much as 40 degrees at times.
4. Occasionally during a cook the temp will over shoot the set point by 75 degrees and it may take 45 minutes to come back to the set temp.
5. All of the above initiates a LOT of alerts.

For the record, I have talked with RT customer service and they walked me through a system check and said all was fine. Also I am rarely more than 30 feet away from the smoker. In fact most of the time Im close enough that I can read the control panel from my recliner through the patio doors.

I am thinking of switching back to the original controller and using my MEATER for the meat temps. I won't be able to control the smoker remotely but oh well.

Have any of you guys experienced this? Am I being too picky?
David
I did the controller upgrade about the same time frame as you. I did notice that time to reach setpoint increased compared to the old controller.

The only issue I had was the connection for the temp probe was a little wonky. Otherwise, no issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back