Bull My first overnight cook......

Master Blaster

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I thought I'd try my hand at my first overnight cook. It was in the mid to upper 30's throughout the overnight, windchill down to the mid 20's here in South Central Bartertown. Cooking large primal cuts of meat is one of the main reasons I went with a Rec Tec product. Indefinite cooks with zero attention required (I'm a lazy BBQ'er these days. I don't care what cooking method's are used I just want tasty, consistent BBQ). I wanted to achieve a couple of different things by cooking overnight mainly to tame the long cooks into a reasonable time schedule where I don't have to get up at 3am to put meat on the cooker and to be able to actually have my meat cooked and done at a resasonable dinner hour, ie: 5-6pm. Holding the meat if needed till I'm ready to eat. More times than I care to admit I didn't have things done in time for family and guests over. "Is it done yet?" no...No...NO! And we ended up eating way late or having to crank the heat up to accelerate the cook, which yielded great results for sure but I like to keep the temp as low as possible at 225F. Since I now have the ability to do with my Bull so effortlessly, why not?

I intitially wanted 2 nice Butts, those weren't available at my local meat market so I went with 2 Shoulder Picnics. Which will do nicely, 21lbs total for both.

Yellow mustard binder and a liberal amount of a simple and sweet pork rub of mine:

6 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Paprika
3 Tbsp course ground kosher Salt
3 Tbsp course ground Black Pepper
2 tsp Garlic Powder

Makes about a cup of rub.

I put them on around 10pm Saturday night after resting for an hour plus on the counter to come up to room temp a bit. Set the Bull at 225F.

I myself greatly appreciated the integral light at 10pm. For my application it's pretty handy having it where my grill is located, regardless whether it's a hassle cleaning it or not!

When I woke up Sunday morning and after after 8hrs undisturbed I started spritzing with 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar every hour. I'm not much of a wrapper (but I do occasionally when pressed for time). Since time is on my side for this cook I'm not concerned with trying to "power thru" the stall.

I pulled the larger 11 plus pounder after it was probe tender at 193F and I let the smaller 9 plus pounder continue cooking to 202F. It was done earlier but I wanted to pull them both off at the same time. The total cook was 20hrs.

Fantastic bark, meat was tender and just fell off the bone. Pleasant, medium smoke flavor. Not overpowering or barely noticeable in my opinion, just right. Really happy with my results. A great, completely effortless and most importantly worry free cook. I started with a full hopper and I used around 23lbs of pellets, which I figured wasn't bad considering the temp. out and a 20hr cook.

After using my Bull just 5 times in less than 10 days from taking delivery and around 30hrs of total operating time I can't tell you how much I love it and couldn't be happier with my purchase! I look forward to learning from the seasoned veterans here and other new pellet grill owners alike!

Attachments

• 20200509_213014.jpg
    20200509_213014.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20200510-174826_RECTEC.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-174826_RECTEC.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200510_201035.jpg
    20200510_201035.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 92
  • 20200510_180254.jpg
    20200510_180254.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 102
  • 20200510_180413.jpg
    20200510_180413.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 86
  • 20200510_195149.jpg
    20200510_195149.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 96
  • 20200510_185348.jpg
    20200510_185348.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 89
I thought I'd try my hand at my first overnight cook. It was in the mid to upper 30's throughout the overnight, windchill down to the mid 20's here in South Central Bartertown. Cooking large primal cuts of meat is one of the main reasons I went with a Rec Tec product. Indefinite cooks with zero attention required (I'm a lazy BBQ'er these days. I don't care what cooking method's are used I just want tasty, consistent BBQ). I wanted to achieve a couple of different things by cooking overnight mainly to tame the long cooks into a reasonable time schedule where I don't have to get up at 3am to put meat on the cooker and to be able to actually have my meat cooked and done at a resasonable dinner hour, ie: 5-6pm. Holding the meat if needed till I'm ready to eat. More times than I care to admit I didn't have things done in time for family and guests over. "Is it done yet?" no...No...NO! And we ended up eating way late or having to crank the heat up to accelerate the cook, which yielded great results for sure but I like to keep the temp as low as possible at 225F. Since I now have the ability to do with my Bull so effortlessly, why not?

I intitially wanted 2 nice Butts, those weren't available at my local meat market so I went with 2 Shoulder Picnics. Which will do nicely, 21lbs total for both.

Yellow mustard binder and a liberal amount of a simple and sweet pork rub of mine:

6 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Paprika
3 Tbsp course ground kosher Salt
3 Tbsp course ground Black Pepper
2 tsp Garlic Powder

Makes about a cup of rub.

I put them on around 10pm Saturday night after resting for an hour plus on the counter to come up to room temp a bit. Set the Bull at 225F.

I myself greatly appreciated the integral light at 10pm. For my application it's pretty handy having it where my grill is located, regardless whether it's a hassle cleaning it or not!

When I woke up Sunday morning and after after 8hrs undisturbed I started spritzing with 50/50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar every hour. I'm not much of a wrapper (but I do occasionally when pressed for time). Since time is on my side for this cook I'm not concerned with trying to "power thru" the stall.

I pulled the larger 11 plus pounder after it was probe tender at 193F and I let the smaller 9 plus pounder continue cooking to 202F. It was done earlier but I wanted to pull them both off at the same time. The total cook was 20hrs.

Fantastic bark, meat was tender and just fell off the bone. Pleasant, medium smoke flavor. Not overpowering or barely noticeable in my opinion, just right. Really happy with my results. A great, completely effortless and most importantly worry free cook. I started with a full hopper and I used around 23lbs of pellets, which I figured wasn't bad considering the temp. out and a 20hr cook.

After using my Bull just 5 times in less than 10 days from taking delivery and around 30hrs of total operating time I can't tell you how much I love it and couldn't be happier with my purchase! I look forward to learning from the seasoned veterans here and other new pellet grill owners alike!
Nice job, food looks great. The bull makes the cooking exciting. ??

Rec Tec's blend. A mix of Hickory, white and red oak. Pretty tasty, I like it so far......
I wasn't sure i'd be hip to the oaks, but those pellets are nice and add a different flavor which I like. how was the smoke flavor, do you see a need to put on extreme smoke (Low) for a few hours on the next?

I wasn't sure i'd be hip to the oaks, but those pellets are nice and add a different flavor which I like. how was the smoke flavor, do you see a need to put on extreme smoke (Low) for a few hours on the next?
Personally I like the level of smoke that was imparted at 225F. Myself I may use the extreme smoke in the future for maybe shorter, quick cooks. But, for the larger primal cuts I'm happy with the regular level of smoke. I love red oak.........I've cooked a ton of 'Q with it in a stick burner, I had years ago. Hickory is Hickory. No experience with white oak (post oak?) but I think the Rec Tec blend is a good one.

Personally I like the level of smoke that was imparted at 225F. Myself I may use the extreme smoke in the future for maybe shorter, quick cooks. But, for the larger primal cuts I'm happy with the regular level of smoke. I love red oak.........I've cooked a ton of 'Q with it in a stick burner, I had years ago. Hickory is Hickory. No experience with white oak (post oak?) but I think the Rec Tec blend is a good one.
I agree with you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back