Mesquite, its not just for BBQ

@Edthebook and @Bustergut :

I do have the bee traps (one at each location) and they do catch their share of bees. But, there are still many around that aren’t being fooled. Maybe I’ll give the sugar water or honey a try to see if I get more.

As far as using 12 gauge wire… the ones here at my main residence are are making their holes between the facial board and the gutter. I can’t even see the holes. Plus, many of the areas I see them buzzing around are inaccessible without a 30’ ladder and a younger, more agile body than I currently possess.

They apparently have some nests just outside the railing of my second floor deck. For those, I have using one of these to swat them.

Robelle Pool Skimmers #K026BU - Thumbnail

It is great fun! By the end of spring I could have USTA 4.5 rated backhand. :)

I’ve used the traps before-never caught a single bee in them. I’ve resorted to letting them start their nest, then plugging the holes with a dowel rod. Not perfect, as they are a valuable pollinator, but my deck is pretty valuable also!
Could be the type of trap you were using. I sprayed, plugged the holes, etc. etc. and never could get rid of them until I used the trap. I made mine from a cedar 4X4 with a mason jar on the bottom and caught several a day until they were gone.

@Edthebook and @Bustergut :

I do have the bee traps (one at each location) and they do catch their share of bees. But, there are still many around that aren’t being fooled. Maybe I’ll give the sugar water or honey a try to see if I get more.

As far as using 12 gauge wire… the ones here at my main residence are are making their holes between the facial board and the gutter. I can’t even see the holes. Plus, many of the areas I see them buzzing around are inaccessible without a 30’ ladder and a younger, more agile body than I currently possess.

They apparently have some nests just outside the railing of my second floor deck. For those, I have using one of these to swat them.

Robelle Pool Skimmers #K026BU - Thumbnail

It is great fun! By the end of spring I could have USTA 4.5 rated backhand. :)
Not sure what you may have but carpenter bees don't make nests, they lay their eggs in the holes they bore. I found that by the time I had killed them with spray or smashed them, they already had laid their eggs and even if I plugged the holes, I got them again next year. If you have a lot of them, you might consider more than one trap. I used two.

It actually works, just FYI. If you're close when you take the shot at a wasp or smaller - there are no identifiable parts left.
Do you have to call “Pull” before you shoot to give the bug a sporting chance? :ROFLMAO:

Being a skeet shooter, I’d like to try one of these for dispatching flying insects.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/BUG-A-SALT/page/1E7B0D3A-1272-48C5-98A6-83CD656670B2?ref_=ast_bln

:rolleyes:
Got one on order! Thanks for the heads up. I figure if it doesn’t work on the bees, I can at least use it to salt the meat on my grill without having to get out of my chair. 🙂

I tried one of those green night sky laser pointers on the bees. I knew it wouldn’t kill them, but I thought it might annoy them or even momentarily blind them. But, no joy. Didn’t seem to bother them in the least.

Priceless! Yes; I do shoot an “over-n-under.” And, you should see the look on my optometrist’s face when I go in for new glasses. 🤣

I think I only have one O/U left. I have a bunch of side by sides.
I have a couple of those too, including a Winchester Model 21 Tournament Skeet that I actually use in competition once in a while. It does draw some looks on the Skeet field.

I have a couple of those too, including a Winchester Model 21 Tournament Skeet that I actually use in competition once in a while. It does draw some looks on the Skeet field.
I used to have a Model 21 in my much younger days, then I hit a rough patch and needed to sell it. Sorry to let it go!

I'm more of a hunter than competitive shooter. I've dabbled in some friendly club shoots, but mostly a hunter/sporting clays shooter. My fascination has been with sxs .410s in the past decade. I seem to have accumulated a small pile of them. Shotguns and BBQ go together. 🤷‍♂️ Here's a couple Italian 410s.
DSC_4660 fix.jpg

I'm more of a hunter than competitive shooter. I've dabbled in some friendly club shoots, but mostly a hunter/sporting clays shooter. My fascination has been with sxs .410s in the past decade. I seem to have accumulated a small pile of them. Shotguns and BBQ go together. 🤷‍♂️ Here's a couple Italian 410s.
View attachment 19106
Very nice! Great wood, especially on the lower one. I am a “wood-a-holic!” The .410 are fun to shoot, but my all-around favorite is 28-ga. I actually use it in 12-ga events frequently (using a smaller gauge is allowed in competition).

The Italians make some nice guns. I have three Italian-made Berettas; two semi-autos (391s) and one O/U (687); all set up for skeet. My regular skeet and trap guns, however (yeah, I shoot a little trap too) are…wait for it…American-made Kolars. Made in Racine, WI. Wonderful guns and great service from the company.

Being Basque, however, I am especially fond of the shotguns made in the Basque Country of Spain; Eibar. Though an O/U, I have a very nice AYA Model 37 in 12-ga. It is especially meaningful to me since AYA (Aguirre y Aranzabal) was founded by a distant relative. The last time we were in the Basque Country, we made a point of visiting the AYA factory and got a very nice guided tour of the facility. It was kind of “Old Home Week.” I probably need to add a AYA SXS to the collection just to balance things out. ;)

Sorry that I don’t have any photos of my shotguns available at this time.

Very nice! Great wood, especially on the lower one. I am a “wood-a-holic!” The .410 are fun to shoot, but my all-around favorite is 28-ga. I actually use it in 12-ga events frequently (using a smaller gauge is allowed in competition).

The Italians make some nice guns. I have three Italian-made Berettas; two semi-autos (391s) and one O/U (687); all set up for skeet. My regular skeet and trap guns, however (yeah, I shoot a little trap too) are…wait for it…American-made Kolars. Made in Racine, WI. Wonderful guns and great service from the company.

Being Basque, however, I am especially fond of the shotguns made in the Basque Country of Spain; Eibar. Though an O/U, I have a very nice AYA Model 37 in 12-ga. It is especially meaningful to me since AYA (Aguirre y Aranzabal) was founded by a distant relative. The last time we were in the Basque Country, we made a point of visiting the AYA factory and got a very nice guided tour of the facility. It was kind of “Old Home Week.” I probably need to add a AYA SXS to the collection just to balance things out. ;)

Sorry that I don’t have any photos of my shotguns available at this time.
Many years ago, I had a AYA #2 sidelock 20ga. Sweet gun.

IMGP0462.JPG

IMGP0502.JPG

IMGP0470.JPG

@Roaniecowpony, I get the idea that we are kindred souls. Your taste in shotguns and mine are pretty much in synch. Thanks for sharing.

In today’s crazy world, I usually don’t share much information about what I have tucked away in the gun safe, but feel safe enough here to share a limited amount of information. (y)

Jim,
If you like wood, you'll like this one. It's a 1917 ish Ansley Fox A Grade 12g, that had a broken stock when I got it. I had the stock blank in the closet for many years waiting for the right gun. I hunted it a few times for pheasant, but really don't shoot much 12 g anymore, so it rarely sees daylight anymore, but for every few years it breaks a few targets. It's a nice piece of California English Walnut.
offside.jpg
showside.jpg
DSC_0046.JPG

Ah, yes; a classic A.H. Fox; very nice, indeed. Beautiful restocking job.

Sadly, an A-grade A.H. Fox and a high-grade Lefever were two that I foolishly let get away from me many years ago. I’ve regretted it ever since.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back