LumberJack 100% Hickory and Mesquite blend

ModernRec

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Bought 3 bags of each through Dicks with the price match and free shipping. I wanna do a 50/50 blend, and curious if the two will over power cooks or if the blend comes out nice on beef.

Input?

Thanks guys!

Pellet grills by nature are fairly light on smoke profiles, I would assume you would be ok with that blend on beef. I typically run hickory only without any issue. Beef is takes quite a bit of smoke. Mix up a small batch and let us know how it goes.

I run Hickory also, is it like my stick burner?, no. I'm still very satisfied and if I need a little extra, I add a few chunks to the diffuser without issue. I was hoping by doing a 50/50 mix of the two it may add that tiny bit of bite that seems to be missing. I guess I'm curious more on the mesquite pellets lol.

I'll follow up for sure once i mix the two bags and give it a go if it just adds or truly a game changer, not holding my breath though lol

I've been running Hickory for several bags now. I definitely noticed a difference changing from the RT pellets, which were also good. Cooking pellets apple mash was good too. I now am running LJ Char-hickory, which I think has a subtle difference to it. Will be interesting to see what come about from your 50/50 mix.

I have run LJ Hickory blend on a brisket, and the results were very good. The smoke flavor was not too strong for my taste. Actually I could have used more smoke flavor.

I have run LJ Hickory blend on a brisket, and the results were very good. The smoke flavor was not too strong for my taste. Actually I could have used more smoke flavor.
And thats why I wanna do the 50/50 mix. Im hoping it adds that little bit of taste. Ill do a brisket this weekend from sams, if it passes the test I'll move on to the SNF Wagyu brisket and let it roll🇺🇸

And thats why I wanna do the 50/50 mix. Im hoping it adds that little bit of taste. Ill do a brisket this weekend from sams, if it passes the test I'll move on to the SNF Wagyu brisket and let it roll🇺🇸
Let us know for sure. I am not happy with my smoke flavor but I have not used straight hickory. I used a straight Mesquite pellet and I started to get some smoke flavor but to much of the mesquite bit for other family members. In the past I used Apple, Cherry, Pecan, Competition Blend and some others but not enough smoke flavor. I use my 22" WSM for better overall smoke flavor. I was thinking about smoking in the WSM and then transferring it to the Recteq after I wrap it, to finish it.

lumberjack makes a mesquite blend that is 60% red Oak and 40% mesquite. I use it with just about everything and love it

I've gone through several bags of Lumber Jack pellets. Love the OHC Supreme and MHC Competition blends. Wonderful smoke and flavor that the rest of the family really loves. I didn't care for the Mesquite blend as I found the smoke very strong and somewhat bitter. Perhaps this is a result of 8+ years of using mesquite in my egg smoker, and I'm just tired of the flavor, but I was surprised at how much stronger the mesquite pellets were relative to the OHC and MHC blends. I have yet to bust into the bags of Apple/Oak and Pecan, but I'll report those findings once I do.

When I’m doing a brisket where I want a mesquite flavor, I typically use both the 100% mesquite and mesquite blend. I empty the hopper, add about 3-4 pounds of LJ 100% mesquite pellets to the bottom and then another 20# of the mesquite blend on top of that.

Brisket goes straight from the fridge to the grill (I’ve found colder meat absorbs more smoke) using the extreme smoke setting for 90 minutes. Kick it up to 225, go to bed and let it go until the stall (or when I wake up in the morning) and wrap it.

This way, the brisket gets the most mesquite flavor when it’s going to have the most impact - early in the cook. After a couple hours, the cheaper mesquite blend will kick in and continue to do the job until it’s ready to pull.

No complaints yet and the mesquite flavor is definitely there. For some (not me), it’s too strong.

I don’t think I’d mix hickory and mesquite. They’re both strong flavor woods and I’m not sure what that’d do to flavor profile. But BBQ is all about experimenting and personal taste so would love to know if that combo works.

Lumberjack 100% mesquite was the best for briskets, but LJ has deleted the 100% mesquite offering. I am extremely disappointed in this decision.

Oops!. I meant mequite blend, not hickory. I just bought some LJ hickory to try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back