Mesquite and hickory pellet blend???

PelletNewbie

I am curious if anyone has done a blend of hickory and mesquite pellets... The idea sounds interesting, and is something I’d like to try. Unless of course, any of y’all have had negative experiences with it.

Are there any other good combinations? Let me hear your thoughts on this. Enlighten this pellet newbie.

I’m new to pellets and still on my first 40 lb bag of hickory but I can say mesquite is A pretty bitter wood for any long cooks.

I’m new to pellets and still on my first 40 lb bag of hickory but I can say mesquite is A pretty bitter wood for any long cooks.

I just cooked a brisket for 12 hours with Lumber Jack Mesquite blend and did not notice any bitterness at all. It produced lots of smoke at 225, but neither I or my family tasted an overly strong smoke flavor.

Great
I just cooked a brisket for 12 hours with Lumber Jack Mesquite blend and did not notice any bitterness at all. It produced lots of smoke at 225, but neither I or my family tasted an overly strong smoke flavor.
Great, glad it turned out well. Like I said my 700 is my first experience with pellets. In the past in my water smoker and now my big green egg, Mesquite is overwhelming for anything other then a quick steak cook. So I don’t use it anymore. I’m finding pellet smoker is a different animal thats for sure.

My last brisket this past weekend I used a combination of hickory and mesquite. More hickory then mesquite. I really liked the flavor. They go very well together.

In the middle of an overnight brisket cook. Got lumber jack hickory in the hopper and two logs of mesquite in the smoke daddy. I’ll report back with the results tomorrow.

I’m finding that I like mesquite a lot more on the pellet smoker than I thought I would. The more subtle smoke flavor of the pellet grill seems to perfectly mellow out the mesquite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back