MeatStick, Meater, Fireboard or Maverick

Troutrad

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey, I’m new to the forum and soon to be new to this smokin gig; just purchased the RT-590 which is in transit. I currently have an old “Range” single probe wired thermometer which hooks up to my iPad or iPhone which I use at least a few times a week on my Weber Summit. With the new beast coming, it’s time to upgrade. Wondering if anyone out there is using the MeatStick, Meater, Fireboard or Maverick devices and what your recommendation and experience has been.

I have a Thermopro TP20 (2 probe) that works nicely. It's basic by today's standards and gets the job done.

I bought an Inkbird unit with Bluetooth and 6 probes to try. Had high hopes and liked using my phone to views temps & graphs. Unfortunately the signal doesn't reach indoors well. I usually have to hold the phone up to a window to get a signal.

So now I'm looking at a WiFi unit, which should address the signal range. Considering the Thermoworks Signals and the Fireboard 2.

The probes and software on the recteq are pretty good, it might be worthwhile to try that before investing in an aftermarket unit. Even if you find you don’t care for the stock setup, that info may be helpful it what to look for in aftermarket thermometers.

Having said that, I do have the ThermoWorks Signals as well as their older technology Smoke model, both work very well. Their Thermapen is a must-have IMO, if you don’t have an instant read already.

I'm sure there are several good products on the market but I completely agree with TXGunLover. I use the Thermapen and Fireboard and don't see that changing. Both are well made and have been 100% dependable for me.

I use the Inkbird IBBQ-4T Wi-Fi thermometer, an old Maverick that has held up great over the years, and a Thermapen. Very happy with all of them.

I really like my version 1 Fireboard. I was a little upset that they came out with the version 2 about 5 weeks after I got mine but that's life. I also didn't find it worth it to upgrade for $190 when most of the time I look at my phone instead of the unit itself anyways. I do agree though that the new one looks better and it also has built in water resistance.

If your considering thermoworks go with the smoke x. I have owned or currently have a smoke, signals, thermapen from that ecosystem. I do as sad as it sounds own others, meh. But I prefer in thermoworks land the battery vs the rechargeable. The signals works great but plenty of times i have gone to use and the battery was dead. Not a problem with unit just i may not use it for months on end. The gadets are nice to have and play with but the only thing you really need is the thermapen or any good instant read. For me that gets used every cook, the other thermometers not so much.

Appreciate all the great replies. Was kinda leaning toward the MeatStick cuz like to be able to really go wireless; I don’t see myself doing too much smoking where I’d need more than 2 probes... Anyone with experience with the MeatStick or Meater?

I have the Meater Plus and am very happy with it. I find that there are a couple of degrees difference from the Rec Tec probes, but I doubt that there is a meaningful difference. What I like about the Meater is that you can put in what kind of meat you are cooking and it will suggest a temperature. It's very easy to adjust that desired temp, and your phone will let you know when you have only a few minutes left, or you are done. I also like the fact that there are no wires to fiddle with. But, of course as someone above said, you may want to wait to see how you feel about the probes that come with the grill. Their integration with your phone on the Rec Tec app is pretty good, too. Hope this helps. Russ

I have the Meater Plus and am very happy with it. I find that there are a couple of degrees difference from the Rec Tec probes, but I doubt that there is a meaningful difference. What I like about the Meater is that you can put in what kind of meat you are cooking and it will suggest a temperature. It's very easy to adjust that desired temp, and your phone will let you know when you have only a few minutes left, or you are done. I also like the fact that there are no wires to fiddle with. But, of course as someone above said, you may want to wait to see how you feel about the probes that come with the grill. Their integration with your phone on the Rec Tec app is pretty good, too. Hope this helps. Russ

Thanks everyone again. Look like a bunch of good options. Since I was kinda leaning toward the Meater or Meatstick...(just wanted to be wireless), decided to go with Russ’s pick and because of a head to head comparison of the two that also gave the nod to the Meater. Ended up getting the block since I wanted at least 2 probes and decent distance. Again, appreciate all the great advice!

I have the Meater Block and Fireboard.

Fireboard: for my use its performance is flawless. I like the app and I feel confident in the reported temps. Another plus is I'm a heavy desktop user and I can log-in to the dashboard and log my cooks. I rarely use a fan/controller with my other outdoor cookers but I do have the add-ons to do so on the rare occasion I choose to use it.

Meater Block: I didn't recognize the convenience of no wires until I started using this. For that reason, I usually find myself using the Meater much more often than the Fireboard. That means logging my cooks in Excel. It seems to me it's slow to report the actual pit temp early-on compared to the Bull's reported temp but maybe the Meater more accurately reports the pit temp at that close proximity to the cold meat; I'm not a fanatic about monitoring my pit temp, so I've never investigated this. I was not well-pleased with the app 1 year ago but today I'm well-pleased with it.

My son in law gave me a meter+ and i have used it several times now. I find it very easy to use and the app is very simple to use and understand. I like that the 1 prob gives you meat and ambient temp.

Meater+ is nice for convenience but when it comes to having confidence in your equipment you cant go wrong with Thermoworks. Their signals and smoke are awesome and as mentioned before a thermapen is an essential in my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back